Unpopular Brandon Sanderson Opinions

13 hours ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

Those were merely Cryptics though? He was being scouted for a bond.

Was this confirmed? In the books, I mean. If it's something that was confirmed in an interview or the whole 'Words of Brandon' or something like that then I probably missed it. I'll be disappointed in myself, though if it was in one of the books and I missed it, especially one of the first two considering how many times I've read them. 

A super controversial one, but I'd actually like to see Brandon finish ASOIAF. Not because "he's the greatest and he has a precedent for finishing other author's books" or any of that nonsense, but because I think it would stretch Brandon as an author in ways that we've only seen with The Wheel of Time. 

Martin's prose, while not always perfect, is quite gorgeous. His world is intricately made, explored, and crafted. It at times feels like a giant playground. ...a giant, bloody playground that no one should ever want to visit. Anyways, Brandon has noted that his prose has been one of his weakest points. I agree.* I think working on ASOIAF would strengthen Brandon's prose in a way we haven't seen since he worked on WoT. 

Next comes in the view of the world. Brandon has gone on record on saying that the world of ASOIAF is a fundamentally pessimistic one. That's not a point I'm not sure I 100% agree on. In some ways, I think it is, in the sense that those with ideals are either killed or corrupted. But those ideals still exist in the world, and they are honored. When people live up to them, those around them become better as well. Things like "The North Remembers" and the arcs of Jon and Jaimie come to mind. 

I think fans sometimes conflate how the show viewed the world and how the GRRM views the world. 

Of course there's the "plot problem," which has been discussed before ad-nauseum, so I'll let it slide. 

Brandon is also great at making plot arcs pay off in logical yet satisfying ways, and I think that ASOIAF could really use that after the show's final season. 

Lastly, I think the direction of the story is headed in a more supernatural direction and some supernatural battles will be coming to the forefront of the series -  and those sorts of conflicts are entirely in Sanderson's wheelhouse. A Memory of Light was practically one giant battle after all. 

The giant problem with this is the fact that he'd probably never finish the Cosmere if he did, and that's not a risk I'm willing to take. Maybe if he wrote it while working on Mistborn Era 3, Elantris 2 & 3, and Nightblood he could squeeze it in. 

All of that said, there are better picks for who should finish George's series; and Sanderson should go nowhere near Rothfuss' series.

*This isn't me saying that it's bad or that it's not put to good use, simply that it's one of his weakest points. But when you're pretty strong all around...

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

A super controversial one, but I'd actually like to see Brandon finish ASOIAF. Not because "he's the greatest and he has a precedent for finishing other author's books" or any of that nonsense, but because I think it would stretch Brandon as an author in ways that we've only seen with The Wheel of Time. 

Martin's prose, while not always perfect, is quite gorgeous. His world is intricately made, explored, and crafted. It at times feels like a giant playground. ...a giant, bloody playground that no one should ever want to visit. Anyways, Brandon has noted that his prose has been one of his weakest points. I agree.* I think working on ASOIAF would strengthen Brandon's prose in a way we haven't seen since he worked on WoT. 

Next comes in the view of the world. Brandon has gone on record on saying that the world of ASOIAF is a fundamentally pessimistic one. That's not a point I'm not sure I 100% agree on. In some ways, I think it is, in the sense that those with ideals are either killed or corrupted. But those ideals still exist in the world, and they are honored. When people live up to them, those around them become better as well. Things like "The North Remembers" and the arcs of Jon and Jaimie come to mind. 

I think fans sometimes conflate how the show viewed the world and how the GRRM views the world. 

Of course there's the "plot problem," which has been discussed before ad-nauseum, so I'll let it slide. 

Brandon is also great at making plot arcs pay off in logical yet satisfying ways, and I think that ASOIAF could really use that after the show's final season. 

Lastly, I think the direction of the story is headed in a more supernatural direction and some supernatural battles will be coming to the forefront of the series -  and those sorts of conflicts are entirely in Sanderson's wheelhouse. A Memory of Light was practically one giant battle after all. 

The giant problem with this is the fact that he'd probably never finish the Cosmere if he did, and that's not a risk I'm willing to take. Maybe if he wrote it while working on Mistborn Era 3, Elantris 2 & 3, and Nightblood he could squeeze it in. 

All of that said, there are better picks for who should finish George's series; and Sanderson should go nowhere near Rothfuss' series.

*This isn't me saying that it's bad or that it's not put to good use, simply that it's one of his weakest points. But when you're pretty strong all around...

I can't confirm this but I have heard that given his current estimates he will be 70-80 by the time he finishes the Cosmere, if he only writes Rithmatist 2 in that time, finishing another series is not something I want added to his schedule. 

1 hour ago, Frustration said:

I can't confirm this but I have heard that given his current estimates he will be 70-80 by the time he finishes the Cosmere, if he only writes Rithmatist 2 in that time, finishing another series is not something I want added to his schedule. 

Oh I absolutely agree. Nor does Sanderson himself want to finish ASOIAF in the case that Martin can't. It's just a selfish idea of mine that I think, in another world, would work out better than people originally assume. Sometimes we do our best growing when put in uncomfortable situations - this most certainly would be one for Sanderson, and the potential growth in that scenario excites me. But frankly, he has enough on his plate and I'd rather see more of the ideas he has than add a different person's idea to the mix (assuming it's not a collaboration). 

On 11/23/2020 at 6:14 AM, Use the Falchion said:

Maybe someone wouldn't get sexually assaulted every other page if he did.

Also, hasn't GRRM stated that no-one is to finish it, and any manuscripts to be destroyed if he dies before finishing ASOIAF?

4 hours ago, jamesbondsmith said:

Maybe someone wouldn't get sexually assaulted every other page if he did.

Also, hasn't GRRM stated that no-one is to finish it, and any manuscripts to be destroyed if he dies before finishing ASOIAF?

On the flip side, Sanderson did build in the brutality of the Skaa world in his own works. I don't think it'd be the lack of sexual assault (which I need to readjust my memory towards, as the only blatant examples I can think of involve Dany in Book 1, The Hound at all times, Cersei in Book 5 I think, and a few examples scattered about. It wasn't as...abundant as it was in the show, IIRC. But then again, I haven't read the books since 2013 and I wasn't exactly keeping an eye out for it), but it'd be relegated to the background. 

For your second point, he has indeed said that. But whether or not those surrounding him follow through on that is another thing. There was a time where I looked upon that artistic idea with favor. Now, as I grow older, I see a sort of vain narcissism in it. It's one thing to not finish a series if you're only a book or two in. It's a completely different thing if you're five books into a seven or eight book series!

Edited by Use the Falchion

1 hour ago, Use the Falchion said:

For your second point, he has indeed said that. But whether or not those surrounding him follow through on that is another thing. There was a time where I looked upon that artistic idea with favor. Now, as I grow older, I see a sort of vain narcissism in it. It's one thing to not finish a series if you're only a book or two in. It's a completely different thing if you're five books into a seven or eight book series!

But at the same time, it would be like someone else doing his thing.

I can totally see that thought, this is mine, it's a part of me it would be wrong for someone else to do it.

2 hours ago, Frustration said:

But at the same time, it would be like someone else doing his thing.

I can totally see that thought, this is mine, it's a part of me it would be wrong for someone else to do it.

But IS it his anymore? The words, maybe, but the story? Did he not promise to tell us a complete story? Doesn't it fall on his shoulders to arrange for us to see that finished story, even if he can't? They don't need to be his words or his version, but he promised us a complete story - as all authors do - and I don't think it's unfair for readers to ask for it to be completed, even if the original author can't. Otherwise, readers around the world have simply wasted their time reading this series and investing money into a story that will never pay off. 

Besides, having the manuscript and everything else destroyed would probably be worse for his image than having someone else complete the work.

Imagine going into a bookstore and thinking about buying ASOIAF book, and then someone else warns you not to because the series will remain unfinished. That's a big turn off, but you've heard about the television show, so maybe you'd like to try that out...and cue the angry masses warning you about what they call a dumpster fire ending. I doubt that Martin's books would ever be truly phased out of bookstores, but the slow decline in sales could easily become a rapid drop if he doesn't have an heir in place. (Not that it matters for him or his family. They're set for life.)

Counter that with the what happened with Robert Jordan - a man who apparently thought along the same lines as Martin, but changed his mind as his death loomed. Not only did Brandon's career (and writing) take a sharp turn for the better, but Jordan is remembered far more fondly, and hundreds of new fans now read his books because Sanderson's name is attached. 

So to me, Martin can do the thing he plans and potentially die with an unfinished story, the words all his own, and spurn the fans most loyal to him. Or he (or his widow...or his editor) can tap someone else to finish the series, brining success to a potentially lesser known writer who may just need a little help in their career AND get have his series finished. 

EDIT: This was my thousandth post. Yay. 

13 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

But IS it his anymore? The words, maybe, but the story? Did he not promise to tell us a complete story? Doesn't it fall on his shoulders to arrange for us to see that finished story, even if he can't? They don't need to be his words or his version, but he promised us a complete story - as all authors do - and I don't think it's unfair for readers to ask for it to be completed, even if the original author can't. Otherwise, readers around the world have simply wasted their time reading this series and investing money into a story that will never pay off. 

Besides, having the manuscript and everything else destroyed would probably be worse for his image than having someone else complete the work.

Imagine going into a bookstore and thinking about buying ASOIAF book, and then someone else warns you not to because the series will remain unfinished. That's a big turn off, but you've heard about the television show, so maybe you'd like to try that out...and cue the angry masses warning you about what they call a dumpster fire ending. I doubt that Martin's books would ever be truly phased out of bookstores, but the slow decline in sales could easily become a rapid drop if he doesn't have an heir in place. (Not that it matters for him or his family. They're set for life.)

Counter that with the what happened with Robert Jordan - a man who apparently thought along the same lines as Martin, but changed his mind as his death loomed. Not only did Brandon's career (and writing) take a sharp turn for the better, but Jordan is remembered far more fondly, and hundreds of new fans now read his books because Sanderson's name is attached. 

So to me, Martin can do the thing he plans and potentially die with an unfinished story, the words all his own, and spurn the fans most loyal to him. Or he (or his widow...or his editor) can tap someone else to finish the series, brining success to a potentially lesser known writer who may just need a little help in their career AND get have his series finished. 

I see where you are coming from(in a way) you have sunk money into this and you want to see it through, however you do a huge disservice and if I'm perfectly honest where rather disrespectful to Robert Jordan there, and the sad thing is it's true people do read WoT for the Brandon books at the end, which I find incredibly disrespectful and I haven't even finished, you relegated Robert to the sidelines and forget the work he did to make WoT work.

Now you looked at this from a buyer's standpoint, but you completely overlooked the point of the authors'. I feel a little attuned to this hoping to become one myself, and while I would prefer my world and story out there(as long as it isn't stolen.) I can totally see the angle of 'this is my life's work, it would be wrong and inappropriate for anyone else to finish this.' You forget their attachment to the story instead looking at it from a money and influence view. 

All in all what I'm trying to say is, George has an interest in his books to and you forget his attachment and decades of work put into it, no one has sunk more into the story than Martin.

But all this is from an outsider looking in as I have never read the story.

59 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I see where you are coming from(in a way) you have sunk money into this and you want to see it through, however you do a huge disservice and if I'm perfectly honest where rather disrespectful to Robert Jordan there, and the sad thing is it's true people do read WoT for the Brandon books at the end, which I find incredibly disrespectful and I haven't even finished, you relegated Robert to the sidelines and forget the work he did to make WoT work.

As someone who came to WoT through Sanderson, I can say that through reading the series, I came to appreciate Jordan far more than I think you're giving us latecomers credit for. Yes, you can start a journey for one reason and finish it for another. I may have started for Sanderson, but trust me when I say that the pull isn't always enough to keep one going. You need your own motivation to finish that series, and Jordan provided it. To me, what would have been disrespectful is skipping to the Sanderson only ones or skipping books in the series. If you haven't done either of those, and you appreciate the pre-Jordan books, then it's a success in my book.

It's fine to get into something for someone else, especially if you come to that thing yourself along the way.

Besides, how many books have you read or movies have you watched, or games have you played simply because someone else recommended them to you? That's how I discovered Brian McClellan and Sabaa Tahir. It's why I gave Anthony Ryan's Draconis Memoria a try. I didn't think I'd like Crazy Rich Asians, but now it's one of my favorite movies. How is this any different?

Or let's try another example. Say I'm in a spin class because I need to work on my cardio and I need accountability. I don't like the workout, but day after day I keep going back. Soon, I join extra classes because I like the effects and I enjoy the music. I start to get to know the people in the class, and overall I start to have some fun, all while achieving my original goal. (I still don't like cycling though.) Was my goal wrong? Should I feel bad for not joining for the music or because I love cycling? 

That's how it feels. People can have multiple reasons for doing an action, and those reasons can change. You see it as disrespect, I see it as an opportunity (and hopefully a victory). 

Now you looked at this from a buyer's standpoint, but you completely overlooked the point of the authors'. I feel a little attuned to this hoping to become one myself, and while I would prefer my world and story out there(as long as it isn't stolen.) I can totally see the angle of 'this is my life's work, it would be wrong and inappropriate for anyone else to finish this.' You forget their attachment to the story instead looking at it from a money and influence view. 

I also want to become a writer someday. Maybe that's part of the reason I can't fully understand why they wouldn't do this anymore. I want my story told because that's what I want to do - tell stories. If I can't tell the stories I want to tell, then why would I become a writer? If someone came to me and said "you're going to die, but we can promise that your dream, your vision, will live on. It won't be perfect because it's not you writing it, but it WILL live on to its completion," I'd take it. Are you sure you wouldn't?

But all this is from an outsider looking in as I have never read the story.

I burned through those books so quickly in 2012-2013...then years of speculation and deep dives into theories...and then group show viewings, both here and when I lived elsewhere...and then the final season. To be fair, I don't hate it as much as others do, but I DO think that the general anger is...maybe not deserved, but quite legitimate. 

This also wouldn't be as large a problem in the fantasy community if Martin wasn't as...distractible as he is and if the show had a fan-approved ending. And I get it. He's older now, and he has fame and fortune he never had before. He's seen success that most authors only dream of. Of course he should spend his time enjoying it! But at the same time, he made a promise to tell a story, and after nine years he's no closer to completing that promise than before. (Which should really be closer to 4 or 5 years, since we counting the time between the last release isn't really fair IMO. We need to give him at least as much time as the it took the last book to come out before we start to worry. Unfortunately, it's been nearly double that amount of time...)

But all of this isn't for me. I've given up on the series. If The Winds of Winter does come out, I'll buy it when I can or if I feel like it. And if/when I do read it, I have a feeling it'll be more about the crackpot theories for me than the actual story. But there are thousands of fans out there who feel otherwise. 

39 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

As someone who came to WoT through Sanderson, I can say that through reading the series, I came to appreciate Jordan far more than I think you're giving us latecomers credit for. Yes, you can start a journey for one reason and finish it for another. I may have started for Sanderson, but trust me when I say that the pull isn't always enough to keep one going. You need your own motivation to finish that series, and Jordan provided it. To me, what would have been disrespectful is skipping to the Sanderson only ones or skipping books in the series. If you haven't done either of those, and you appreciate the pre-Jordan books, then it's a success in my book.

It's fine to get into something for someone else, especially if you come to that thing yourself along the way.

Besides, how many books have you read or movies have you watched, or games have you played simply because someone else recommended them to you? That's how I discovered Brian McClellan and Sabaa Tahir. It's why I gave Anthony Ryan's Draconis Memoria a try. I didn't think I'd like Crazy Rich Asians, but now it's one of my favorite movies. How is this any different?

Or let's try another example. Say I'm in a spin class because I need to work on my cardio and I need accountability. I don't like the workout, but day after day I keep going back. Soon, I join extra classes because I like the effects and I enjoy the music. I start to get to know the people in the class, and overall I start to have some fun, all while achieving my original goal. (I still don't like cycling though.) Was my goal wrong? Should I feel bad for not joining for the music or because I love cycling? 

That's how it feels. People can have multiple reasons for doing an action, and those reasons can change. You see it as disrespect, I see it as an opportunity (and hopefully a victory). 

I also want to become a writer someday. Maybe that's part of the reason I can't fully understand why they wouldn't do this anymore. I want my story told because that's what I want to do - tell stories. If I can't tell the stories I want to tell, then why would I become a writer? If someone came to me and said "you're going to die, but we can promise that your dream, your vision, will live on. It won't be perfect because it's not you writing it, but it WILL live on to its completion," I'd take it. Are you sure you wouldn't?

I burned through those books so quickly in 2012-2013...then years of speculation and deep dives into theories...and then group show viewings, both here and when I lived elsewhere...and then the final season. To be fair, I don't hate it as much as others do, but I DO think that the general anger is...maybe not deserved, but quite legitimate. 

This also wouldn't be as large a problem in the fantasy community if Martin wasn't as...distractible as he is and if the show had a fan-approved ending. And I get it. He's older now, and he has fame and fortune he never had before. He's seen success that most authors only dream of. Of course he should spend his time enjoying it! But at the same time, he made a promise to tell a story, and after nine years he's no closer to completing that promise than before. (Which should really be closer to 4 or 5 years, since we counting the time between the last release isn't really fair IMO. We need to give him at least as much time as the it took the last book to come out before we start to worry. Unfortunately, it's been nearly double that amount of time...)

But all of this isn't for me. I've given up on the series. If The Winds of Winter does come out, I'll buy it when I can or if I feel like it. And if/when I do read it, I have a feeling it'll be more about the crackpot theories for me than the actual story. But there are thousands of fans out there who feel otherwise. 

I draw the distinction as you read a book because it was recommended because you trust the person who recommended it to you,

Whereas reading the WoT for Brandon is disingenuous to the work Robert Jordan put into it, in that mindset of slogging through the majority of the series just for the end, that is what I find insulting.

I would rather have my stories told, but I can understand where Martin is coming from, it's personal to him, his work, something privet, not for outsiders.

On 11/19/2020 at 10:16 PM, Empress Stick said:

A bit of both I think. It's very heavily implied in the books, especially Oathbringer, and then Brandon confirmed it in a WoB if I remember correctly.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:48 AM, Doomstick said:

Elhokar mentioned that he saw creatures with twisted symbols for heads in the mirrors.

Yup. Now I'm mad at myself. I clearly remember him beginning the First Ideal in Oathbringer but I completely forgot about him mentioning how he saw figures with twisted symbols for heads in the mirrors. I even remember being excited by that scene during my first read. This annoys me because out of all of the books, I've read The Way of Kings the most, probably five or six times. Ugh!

Guess I'll just have to read it again. <_< :rolleyes:

25 minutes ago, Frustration said:

Whereas reading the WoT for Brandon is disingenuous to the work Robert Jordan put into it, in that mindset of slogging through the majority of the series just for the end, that is what I find insulting.

I find the problem with this mindset is that I feel like you're reducing to how people start vs how they may end, and the journey they've undergone to get there. Besides, from an author's standpoint, while it might be grating, the his story is being read and appreciated. Not JUST for the work of another, although that may have been the starting point. 

But we're probably going to have to agree to disagree on this point. 

27 minutes ago, Frustration said:

I can understand where Martin is coming from, it's personal to him, his work, something privet, not for outsiders.

I used to be able to, but now I can't fathom it. To me, it's not just about the story, but the promise of a completed story. Like a con-man. I guess Sanderson spoiled me too much! :P:D

8 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I find the problem with this mindset is that I feel like you're reducing to how people start vs how they may end, and the journey they've undergone to get there. Besides, from an author's standpoint, while it might be grating, the his story is being read and appreciated. Not JUST for the work of another, although that may have been the starting point. 

But we're probably going to have to agree to disagree on this point. 

I'm fine with that.

8 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I used to be able to, but now I can't fathom it. To me, it's not just about the story, but the promise of a completed story. Like a con-man. I guess Sanderson spoiled me too much! :P:D

He spoils us all.

but Amazon sure doesn't, where is my book!?

Edited by Frustration

15 hours ago, Frustration said:

"Disrespectful" or no, I did notice that the quality of the story improved markedly when Brandon took over.  Not necessarily the quality of the writing -- Brandon was still relatively inexperienced at this point -- but the downright maddening drumbeat of everything screwing up because nobody talks to each other about anything seemed to evaporate the second Brandon took the helm, and it was easily the best thing that happened to the series since

Spoiler

the cleansing of saidin.

Suddenly people were being effective and competent and actually getting stuff done, and I loved it!

Call it disrespectful if you want, but Brandon improved the series by being an order of magnitude better at writing interpersonal relationships than Robert Jordan ever was.

• 1 month later...

I have some unpopular opinions I think:

1: Alloy of Law is the best Mistborn Era 2 book.

2: Shallan is the best character of SA.

3: Kaladin's past was the worst of the four we know about.

4: Lift's interlude in WoR is the most boring chapter in SA.

5: Mistborn Era 1 is YA but they aren't considered like that because people think YA is a derogatory term.

6 hours ago, damixyoohyeon said:

1: Alloy of Law is the best Mistborn Era 2 book.

5: Mistborn Era 1 is YA but they aren't considered like that because people think YA is a derogatory term.

1. That's interesting and understandable. 

2. I agree :o

3. Not sure what you mean by this, do you mean least enjoyable for the reader or most tragic? 

4. I was fine with Lift, she didn't overstay her welcome for me. 

5. What classifies something as YA is weird. Like any genre, it is a marketing tool. As such, Brandon probably wanted to market it to adults because one: young adults read non-YA fantasy anyway, he's not missing out on a market there and two: he would lose a considerable chunk of market if it were marketed as YA because yes, many readers assume YA means something akin to "books for babies".

My unpopular opinion?  I worry Brandon is trying too hard to be woke.

Social justice themes in Stormlight Archive (with no claims of completeness):

1. Slavery and reparations.

2. Racial privilege.

3. Immigrant/refugee rights.

4. Upending the social/economic class structure.

5. Religion/atheism.

6. Undoing traditional gender roles.

7. Gender identity/fluidity.

8. Physical disability.

9. Mental illness. Major viewpoint characters demonstrate alcoholism, drug addiction, traumatic brain injury, autism spectrum disorder, major depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, dissociative identity disorder... you name it, someone has it.  We even witness the birth of the support group on Roshar.

Don't get me wrong: as a proud progressive liberal myself, I'm LOVING it. However, I find myself wondering “is it too much?” Has Brandon taken it upon himself to write not only the towering fantasy series of our generation, but the most supremely WOKE fantasy series of all time? If the SJW slant stands out so starkly to me, might it be souring the experience of other readers? Might it even be alienating people who would otherwise be potential fans?

It sure won't stop ME from buying and reading books, though!  ;-)

59 minutes ago, AquaRegia said:

2. Racial privilege.

5. Religion/atheism.

8. Physical disability.

9. Mental illness. Major viewpoint characters demonstrate alcoholism, drug addiction, traumatic brain injury, autism spectrum disorder, major depression, post-traumatic stress disorder, dissociative identity disorder... you name it, someone has it.  We even witness the birth of the support group on Roshar.

Don't get me wrong: as a proud progressive liberal myself, I'm LOVING it. However, I find myself wondering “is it too much?” Has Brandon taken it upon himself to write not only the towering fantasy series of our generation, but the most supremely WOKE fantasy series of all time? If the SJW slant stands out so starkly to me, might it be souring the experience of other readers? Might it even be alienating people who would otherwise be potential fans?

I mean... have you read other modern fantasy? Brandon is quite tame in comparison! :lol:

Though to address your point, my main concern is that he will not do the topics justice (i.e. the religion/atheist deal.)

12 minutes ago, Ooklara said:

I mean... have you read other modern fantasy? Brandon is quite tame in comparison! :lol:

No, I cheerfully admit I'm under-read in modern fantasy.  I'm all caught up on Butcher's Dresden Files and enjoyed his Codex Alera; I thought Nora Jemisin's Broken Earth series was quite good; and Patrick Rothfuss, sure... but that's about it for fantasy, as I'm more of a science fiction guy.  However, my wife and my son got me started on Mistborn and now I'm all-in on the Cosmere.  I mean, I never joined a Jim Butcher forum, did I?  No, I did not.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:25 PM, damixyoohyeon said:

You're right it is unpopular

also wrong

2 hours ago, AquaRegia said:

2. Racial privilege.

5. Religion/atheism.

8. Physical disability.

It's not too much of a problem... yet.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 6:25 AM, damixyoohyeon said:I have some unpopular opinions I think:1: Alloy of Law is the best Mistborn Era 2 book.

1. Yes it’s the most fun definitely the dialogue between wax and Wayne is awesome and I feel like Brandon struggled to carry it through to the latter two. It also feels inconsequential which is a welcome break for a cosmere book.

2. I wouldn’t agree until I finished Row recently I think her character work in that one was phenomenonal. 

3. I agree but not by much. And if think it’s more reliant on the suffering Kaladin is going through in present. And it’s very well executed to, but conceptually it’s he weakest and certainly not that original by fantasy standards.