The Newcago Court

Quiver

Yzabet laughed. It had been too long since she had experienced anything other than a dull depression, interspersed with bouts of melancholy. Applying and removing friction on different parts of her feet turned her boots into ice skates. She slicked her whole body, then ran across the floor. With a graceful jump that only an Edgedancer could ever pull off, she leapt onto the balcony and surfed down the banister, racing Mace.

Edited by I am Witless

The pair of them sped downward. Mace doubled his weight to increase his speed. As he neared the bottom, he checked over his shoulder to see Yzabet gliding close behind him. With a grin, he got to his feet, still riding the makeshift sled. Just as he was about to hit the ground, he pushed off of the tray and tucked his body into a roll. He half rolled, half tumbled onto the floor, landing flat on his back. 

"That was fun!" he announced. 

Near him, a chocolate geyser popped up from the floor, spraying him with deliciousness. He approved. Chocolate fountains were too predictable. Geysers in the other hand were just spontaneous enough to be both scary and enjoyable.

As he thought this, another geyser sprung into existence underneath him, shooting him into the air. 

Yzabet piroetted [I don't know if that is how you spell the word] off of the banister and landed in a delicate spin. She would have won Olympic gold for that.

Then she saw Archer shoot into the air, driven by a whoosh of..... Yzabet's eyes widened until she looked like an anime character. "Chocolate." She whispered, ignoring the half pleased, half I'm-going-to-fall-to-my-death screams of Archer high above her. Yzabet stick her hand in and kicked it. 

"Hmmm. Milk chocolate with a hint of raspberry. I wonder if they have a sea salt and huckleberry dark chocolate geyser somewhere. " But other pressing matters were at hand. She looks up at Archer.

"You okay?"

On 22/07/2018 at 1:54 PM, Archer said:

Mace's ribs, weakened from his fight with an angry poet earlier in the week, actually cracked. He drew on some of his stored health to heal them. 

"I'm... good," he replied, grimacing through his smile. "My condolences for the loss of your husband, by the way." 

Mace stared out over the ballroom floor. It was sliced with ice in some places, and snow was gently falling in others. It was a surreal sight for someone who had never seen falling snow before. 

"You know," he said. "I've waited long enough. It's time we had some fun. C'mon!" He took off, running for the staircase. As he went he grabbed a serving tray to use as a tobbagon on the ice-covered spiral staircase. 

Elsa smirked, memories of her and Anna skimming across their minds of them sliding down the staircase.

"Fancy a race?" Elsa said to Archer. "I am quite an expert at this, but you need proper tobbagons." She waved her hands 

23 hours ago, Voidus said:

I'm happy with it being here. I don't mind.

10 hours ago, I am Witless said:

Yzabet bowed deeply to Elsa.

"Ladyship, might I be so presumptuous as to inquire whether I may join this race? Or would an Edgedancer be unfair competition?"

"You are welcome to join." Elsa created another sled, with Norwegian Yule goats decorating the sides of it.

"I'd be honoured to race you! But I must warn you, I've been practicing." He paused for a second to think. "Although the only place I've ever tried it before today has been the sand dunes outside of my (now burned to a crisp after that spaceship landing) ranch. But how hard could it be?" He then proceeded to pose dramatically in preparation. 

Yzabet bowed again to Queen Elsa, then slapped Archer on the back of his head.

"I bet that I can still beat you, even if it is racing over gum or tar. Grow up, Alcatraz." The fourth wall cracked a little bit as Yzabet made a non-cosmere reference. Yzabet shot a guilty glance at the spiderweb of hair-line fractures in the air. "Sorry." She muttered under her breath.

Hellbent walked up, deciding to join. After all, it was a sport. You could always get lucky. Especially if you were him.

"Queen Elsa Steelheart, I would like to join your race. Is that okay? Be warned, I have never even touched a sled. I might crash. But, you know, there is always beginners luck."

"Bet I can beat you, Archer!" Hellbent called, "I might be new, but you can't be too tough."

Edited by Ark1002

19 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

Hellbent walked up, deciding to join. After all, it was a sport. You could always get lucky. Especially if you were him.

"Queen Elsa Steelheart, I would like to join your race. Is that okay? Be warned, I have never even touched a sled. I might crash. But, you know, there is always beginners luck."

"Bet I can beat you, Archer!" Hellbent called, "I might be new, but you can't be too tough."

"Crashing is part of the fun, I'll say! Join, please!"

On 25/07/2018 at 2:37 AM, Archer said:

"I'd be honoured to race you! But I must warn you, I've been practicing." He paused for a second to think. "Although the only place I've ever tried it before today has been the sand dunes outside of my (now burned to a crisp after that spaceship landing) ranch. But how hard could it be?" He then proceeded to pose dramatically in preparation. 

"Are sand dunes similar to snow?"

Tena fell out of the sky, waving her arms and screaming like she was about to have all her bones crushed to pulp. Instead of that happening, she remembered that she had a speed Metalmind and started filling it really fast. By the time she hit the ground, she was barely moving. She landed on her feet and skidded a few inches, nearly tumbling over onto her face. "I'm sorry," she said calmly to the assembly of sledders, "but I was just informed that there was to be a sledding race, and, as a bonus, I'd get to challenge a fellow Edgedancer. Could I join, your Ladyship?" She nodded respectfully to the Queen, then Awakened her pants and launched herself into the air with a Steelpush against a dropped coin. Ceasing Pushing at about ten feet into the air, she flipped herself over and regarded the assembly sternly. 

1 hour ago, AxeliustheGreat said:

Tena fell out of the sky, waving her arms and screaming like she was about to have all her bones crushed to pulp. Instead of that happening, she remembered that she had a speed Metalmind and started filling it really fast. By the time she hit the ground, she was barely moving. She landed on her feet and skidded a few inches, nearly tumbling over onto her face. "I'm sorry," she said calmly to the assembly of sledders, "but I was just informed that there was to be a sledding race, and, as a bonus, I'd get to challenge a fellow Edgedancer. Could I join, your Ladyship?" She nodded respectfully to the Queen, then Awakened her pants and launched herself into the air with a Steelpush against a dropped coin. Ceasing Pushing at about ten feet into the air, she flipped herself over and regarded the assembly sternly. 

Elsa created a few more sleds. "Of course you may join! What is your name?"

Psst. Queen E! You may want to update your sig if you're planning on keeping the Newcago Court here. 

"Sand dunes are very much like snowy hills. They're just less cool. Running's easier though." Mace paused and stepped to the side to let a mime get past him to inspect the crack in the fourth wall. 

"This is a nice sled. Good paint job, nice seats. It's aeroooooooo-" he stumbled and tripped into the sled. It began to roll forward. "LET'S GOOOOOO!" he shouted, face still smushed into the floor of the sled. 

Yzabet grabbed Mace by the foot and increased the Abrasion on her hand. He jerked to a halt.

"Hang on a second, Mace. TUBA is known for being honest. At least, it should be. I believe that Her Highness will let us know when we start so that this isn't unfair."

Soooo..... are we sledding down stairs, or is there an actual course?

Speaking from experience, riding down stairs is fun, but it hurts to stop. Let's make this a real course. Perhaps Her Majesty could magic up one, unless that would bring back too many traumatic memories? :D

Mace straightened his bowtie. "Yes. You are, as usual, right. We have a reputation to maintain." He felt a little queasy, but he shook it off. 

"I'll just wait for the starter's orders then." He began to twiddle his thumbs. He occasionally glanced over to where Yzabet was standing, eyeing how easy it would be to sabotage her sled, but resisting the urge like a good boi. 

Mace looked away guiltily. 

"I hope you're ready to lose Yzy," he responded. "I've got a few tricks up my sleeves." He casually began to slick his running boards with grease to deter boarders. Where he came from, people raced to win

A glance around the starting line told him his fellow racers had forgotten to bring their lances. I guess I'll be the only one jousting the competition then, he thought. It would be a short race then. 

Yzabet blinked, then drew herself up in a posture of friendly indignation.

"Yzy? Really Mace? YZY? How does one even go about spelling that? Or, if you read it, pronouncing it? The only trick that you have up your sleeve is making a fool of yourself." She turned to Hellbent.

"And you can devote your rebel streak to joining me in sassing Mace instead of complaining. We wait on the word of the Queen."

14 hours ago, Archer said:

"Sand dunes are very much like snowy hills. They're just less cool. Running's easier though." Mace paused and stepped to the side to let a mime get past him to inspect the crack in the fourth wall. 

"This is a nice sled. Good paint job, nice seats. It's aeroooooooo-" he stumbled and tripped into the sled. It began to roll forward. "LET'S GOOOOOO!" he shouted, face still smushed into the floor of the sled. 

It won't let me edit it! :o 

11 hours ago, I am Witless said:

Yzabet blinked, then drew herself up in a posture of friendly indignation.

"Yzy? Really Mace? YZY? How does one even go about spelling that? Or, if you read it, pronouncing it? The only trick that you have up your sleeve is making a fool of yourself." She turned to Hellbent.

"And you can devote your rebel streak to joining me in sassing Mace instead of complaining. We wait on the word of the Queen."

12 hours ago, Ark1002 said:

"Ugh. Can we just start already?"

Elsa turned to Kai, who had a racing flag in his hand.

"On your marks, get set, GO!"

Tena whipped her hand in front of her and summoned her spren as a long staff, whilst simultaneously tapping her speed Metalmind and Slicking her feet to be completely frictionless. She began doing her ice skating motion and out-skated everyone else because of her combined speed and lack of friction, but still dropped and Pushed several coins in the other skater's faces, which both slowed them and sped her up. She planted her staff in the ground and vaulted over Mace, whose token attempt at a lance-fight-thing went practically unnoticed by her as she jumped right over his head, picking up speed and putting herself in first.

She tapped her Metalmind even more, making her go way faster, and since the course they were going down was circular, she ended up skating on the walls. This is so AWESOME, she thought. Even if she didn't win, this race was definitely worth getting into the Newcago Court.

Edited by AxeliustheGreat

Bro, you just brought your skates to a sled race. :D

Mace got hit in the face with a coin before he'd even started to move. Cool, free money, he thought as he healed the wound by drawing from his gold metalmind. Using his lance to push off of the ground, he glided forwards. Speeding down a hill, he raced towards the other competitors. 

"HO HO HO!" he laughed, feeling jolly. As he leaned into his turn, he saw the man who'd hit him with the coin moonwalking in front of him. 

Mace stuck out his arm to collect a fistful of snow from the ground. He shaped it into a ball. As he rounded the next bend, he threw it at Tena. 

Edited by Archer

Yzabet threw the sled ahead of her, ran, and jumped on it. She rode it like she was surfing or skateboarding, and quickly slicked her body and the sled so that the two were frictionless. Taking a little slick off of the bottom of her foot, she used it to push herself along faster. She too jumped over Mace, and the coin shot at her slid off her skin like a leaf. She quickly caught up to her lead competitor, who..... was wearing ice skates?

"Those aren't gonna work very well, honey!" She yelled. "We're about to get off of the ice and start over snow!"

Let's see what a normal Edgedancer can do.