Some people say Brandon has "boring prose", what would be an example of "good prose"?

Datan Nomlibash

I'm trying to experiment with my writing. Widening my voice so to speak. I mostly read Sanderson due to limited time but I worry that might limit what I think is good writing. Among people with wide tastes I generally hear that Brandon has good ideas, plotting, world building and characters but his prose is very utilitarian. What authors would be an example of good prose, like the kind of thing that is a pleasure to read just because of the wording and flow. How would tolkien or jim butcher compare on your personal scale or prose? Feel free to info dump, I'm mostly looking for a large chunk of knowledge to look at and digest.

Just now, Datan Nomlibash said:

What would you say makes his writing work? Also what kind of things he studied if that's applicable? ( ie poetry, music, ect)

A combination of things make his style work. The story itself has a lot of poetry and musical themes, and so those tend to shine through in the prose. I would recommend you read a sample of the name of the wind (I think there’s one available on Amazon) as his prose really shines at the beginning. There’s a lot of analysis on his style that’s much better then mine if you just google around.

As for what he studied, I honestly have no idea. I’m sure he’s studied some music theory and poetry, but what exactly he studied I do not know.

Pat Rothfuss is probably the most well known example in modern fantasy. His prose is very lyrical, so studying some poetry and lyrics might help you with that. The things that stick out for me in his style are the imagery and rhythm. You could always try looking at some resources designed for songwriters like some of Pat Pattison's books.

I personally think the definition of 'good prose' changes based on the kind of story you're trying to write. For example- Pat Rothfuss' lyrical style would not fit a Brandon story, and Brandon's style would not fit Rothfuss' story. I'd say you have to consider factors like tone, style, and narrative POV when deciding what sort of prose to use.

Not necessarily a fantasy-applicable case, but most anything [fictionwise at least?] by Umberto Eco. I only know the translations but they're awesome.

Fantasywise and SIMILAR to Eco: Mark Z. Danielewski. Indeed, technically, MZD might be all by himself the best example of what you're looking for.

Stephen R. Donaldson writes very well, but sometimes "too" well, maybe.

Also try the Ciardi translation of Dante, especially the Paradiso.