Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

Popping in

CS4(!) prologue stuff

wow I absolutely loved this departure from the fast forward method. Seeing so many people from CS1&2 that I was sure was going to pop up back in 3. Yeah I’m happy I only watched the anime bit last night cause that was a good bit of time from start to my current stop point inside O Tower. I haven’t moved a single step. Saved and put on rest mode till 4PM. I was rewarded with some stuff from CS1-3 and even got a Pom bait for hitting lvl 65 thanks to 2 Pom baits ha. I see that if I had hit 75 I would have got 2 Pom baits.

This is going to be fun yet extremely frustrating if Hajimari ain’t ready to go by end.

1 minute ago, Briar King said:

Popping in

CS4(!) prologue stuff

Hide contents

wow I absolutely loved this departure from the fast forward method. Seeing so many people from CS1&2 that I was sure was going to pop up back in 3. Yeah I’m happy I only watched the anime bit last night cause that was a good bit of time from start to my current stop point inside O Tower. I haven’t moved a single step. Saved and put on rest mode till 4PM. I was rewarded with some stuff from CS1-3 and even got a Pom bait for hitting lvl 65 thanks to 2 Pom baits ha. I see that if I had hit 75 I would have got 2 Pom baits.

This is going to be fun yet extremely frustrating if Hajimari ain’t ready to go by end.

In case you couldn't tell, 

Spoiler

most of the characters in that prologue are from Sky and Crossbell

13 hours ago, Eluvianii said:

That's the most positive opinion I've read about the ending. 

Really? I think at first glance the ending to CS3 is quite good.

Spoiler

They did a good job of ramping up the desperation, the dread, the terror, and the despair during those final moments. I think it's only when you step back and start examining the series as a whole that you begin to see the cracks. (CS3 is a 130 hour long game and you spend 90 hours chasing Ouroboros around for nothing. You had multiple different antagonists factions in conflict with each other only for them all join the same side at the end. You have multiple different battles going on involving dozens of people but only the girl dies and the airship gets blown up, no casualties from any of the battles. Everyone wants to unleash a curse but nobody acts like a normal human being and explains WHY upon being questioned. Etc.).

Edited by Val the Moofia Boss

3 minutes ago, Val the Moofia Boss said:

Really? I think at first glance the ending to CS3 is quite good.

Spoiler

They did a good job of ramping up the desperation, the dread, the terror, and the despair during those final moments. I think it's only when you step back and start examining the series as a whole that you begin to see the cracks. (CS3 is a 130 hour long game and you spend 90 hours chasing Ouroboros around for nothing. You had multiple different antagonists factions in conflict with each other only for them all join the same side at the end. Everyone wants to unleash a curse but nobody acts like a normal human being and explains WHY upon being questioned. Etc.).

Tag, Eluvianii hasn't finished CS3

Edited by aneonfoxtribute

Popping in

CS3 ending stuff

ok back in CS1 I knew there was no way Osborne died and then in CS2 I was like nah Crow ain’t staying dead. Enter CS3 I was like ok Angie is kidnapped and then the Courageous is blasted out the sky and for the 1st time I’m stumped if on people’s final outcome and I’m liking the uncertainty of it all

Popping in

CS4 prologue stuff

grr apparently there were no bodies recovered from Courageous and considering which faction did the deed I now fully expect them all back at some point. Time will tell. 

I like Erynn. Am going inside what I take is the equivalent of the Schoolhouse/Einhel when next I turn on. Probably 4PM but I have been chipping away today to get to this point so maybe I ll fire up again in the hours before hand.

I'm 75 hours into this game and halfway through chapter 3, so that sounds like the halfway point of the game, making Sen3 the longest one so far. Ao took me 71 hours, and now I'm genuinely scared that next time I play it it'll feel too short. 

Popping in

CS4 fishing stuff

NO!!!!¡¡¡¡ they took away my precious vitality droplets from carps… I fear this means my strength and magic ones from puffers are probably gone to…if so man that is going to suck and it’s going to axe the addictive vibe of this sport. I jumped up hundreds of points with everyone and had a blast doing with CS3.

:( 

• 2 weeks later...

CS4 Act 1 stuff

woot I really wanted this in CS3 but I was so happy seeing Vincent in prologue cause I knew Margarita would follow. I’m at Titus Gate now. That was really weird seeing her though and I really didn’t like it. We ll see how this goes over time but for now…okkkk…

Anton!!!!!!

CS3 Chapter 3

Spoiler

Ok so, I was just waiting for George to be revealed as a gnome. There were hints here and there but calling him Nome was overkill. However, I may kind of possibly maybe understand why some tier posts I've seen have him at the absolute lowest level. I'm not sold at all on him being a bad guy, if there's no body she's not dead (and as revealed, also by him, even if there's a body, they may not be dead), but there's definetely something wrong here. I also feel like I should recognize the gnome boss but my memory is failing me.

Musse pulling a Kloe I see. Except of course Kloe is as honest and innocent as they come, they're like two sides of the same coin. I'm starting to like her character quite a bit, despite starting with the wrong foot (it was both funny and annoying that in chapter 1 Altina's struggle as she starts to discover her own autonomy doesn't prompt a character note but "Musse likes to tease Rean" does). Actually, I really storming love New Class VII, I may have become more attached to the new class in 90 hours than to the old one in 200.

I've seen comparisons with the SSS before, and I can understand them now. The new class is great on their own merit but I understand the comparison regarding the character dynamics. They just function so well together. Not having a central character to orbit around was just the right thing. Og Class VII was maybe too big making just too many lines in the relationship tree. So they just developed their individual relationships with Rean, with a few additions (Jusis/Machias and Laura/Fie being the spotlight). Apart from that, they mostly just said yes. Like, at some point someone would say "I think x is the right thing to do" and you would hear the echo of 9 voices agreeing with it. That's the extent of the relationship between many pairs. Not anymore, now you get a lot more depth to the discussions inside the class and that's just great.

Vantage Masters is great, it's not particularly difficult, but just enough for a side activity, and giving you the option to test how good your deck is as opposed to using the plot relevant one, and with 2 extra AP as a reward is extremely, well, rewarding.

Arianrhod was nerfed. Ok, that's unfair, it was really cool to see how broken Aurelia is. She single handedly won 75% of the fight with a single blow, from there I just used the rest of the characters to finish the job but this was her victory, and from a plot standpoint I really like that. Actually I can't find any evidence that Aurelia is not a mary sue, and you know what? I don't freaking care. I can't believe Falcom found a way to make that trope endearing but she is the perfect example of how to make a broken character. She's so completely good at everything, but she stays away from the main plot most of the time, and she's just so lovable. Seriously, I thought her character was going to be this military ice queen, but she's like a particularly permisive (if intense) mother spoiling her kids. And sometimes her being so perfect just turns into a joke and that helps with the whole deal (I swear, the scene with the glasses had me almost rolling).

Good time as any to talk about Luna. Best npc ever, no contest. Well, maybe Claire would make a contest, but she had very little screen time and only back in Liberl. We needed someone new.

Speaking of Liberl, love the callbacks. It's been so many hours that I can't remember if this was from chapter 2 or 3 but getting the missing piece in the Capua family history? 7 games after they started telling it? Absolute madness, I love it. While we're at it, a direct continuation to the treasure hunt back in FC? Who keeps track of theese things? They need a raise.

Spoiler

"However, I may kind of possibly maybe understand why some tier posts I've seen have him at the absolute lowest level"

I disagree with this, this makes George a far more interesting character and he's actually in S tier for me. People putting him in low tiers is really silly I think. The reasoning for it isn't even that good most of the time, as far as I've seen

"Actually I can't find any evidence that Aurelia is not a mary sue,"

She isn't a Mary Sue. She's a Cassius. She's one of the strongest people in the world, cultivated through years of bettering herself and fighting strong people.

CS3 response

Spoiler

It does make him a more interesting character, but people doing bad things tends to draw the hate of the audience. I don't personally dislike him (come on, I'm from that group of socially rejected people that like Moash), I mean from my point of view his character arc is just starting, but I meant that at least now I know what people were talking about in those lists. It was always baffling for me since he mostly just stayed in the back being nice and helping everyone.

Regarding Aurelia, I may have something wrong in my definition, but by mary sue I'm talking characters that are good at literally everything they do. From Trails for me Cassius also falls into that category, as well as Victor. I don't like those characters any less for it (Cassius and Victor are among my favorites from day 1, and though I approached Aurelia with low expectations she quickly became one too), and I know they all have a hard journey behind them, but that doesn't change the fact that any given situation they actively involve themselves in may as well be considered solved. I just can't picture them making mistakes and that's exactly my definition of the trope.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Popping in

CS4 Act 1 stuff

I wrapped up Alster and Osgilath Basin last night. Am I missing out on a Drama CD because some stuff came up in Alster I don’t remember at all. Like ever going there for one and 2 ever meeting Kai and Tillia. That’s all a pretty big blank.

Anyway got my gal Musse back!

On 12/7/2021 at 3:37 PM, Briar King said:

Popping in

CS4 Act 1 stuff

Hide contents

I wrapped up Alster and Osgilath Basin last night. Am I missing out on a Drama CD because some stuff came up in Alster I don’t remember at all. Like ever going there for one and 2 ever meeting Kai and Tillia. That’s all a pretty big blank.

Anyway got my gal Musse back!

I believe that that is in a drama CD, but it isn't too important.

Spoiler

Kai and Tilla are also characters in a short manga series that took place in between Sky and Crossbell called Ring of Judgement. They met Toval.