Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

Well, it will obviously look better on ps4 and 5. When it comes to Switch, and based on the demo I will say this. Reverie had several shortcomings on Switch, being the resolution, the framerate stability, and the loading times. It was a very playable experience, but certainly rough. All of that seems to be gone in Daybreak. I don't know what black magic they pulled off but it plays butter smooth, no delay at all when starting a battle. Loading times are good. Resolution can get funky but still better than Reverie, it plays real nice.

That said, if you have the ps4 version available, is there a reason not to choose that one?

35 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Ok my Heroes peeps help me out! Do I get Daybreak on Switch or PS5???!!! Idk why but I can’t find the ultimate edition on PS5. I see it on 4 and Switch though.

Get it in whatever you want. PS5 will look the best and have the best load times, obviously, but if you want the portability then do Switch.

Like I’m nervous to spend $109 on the 4 to see if it shows up under my name to download on the 5. I. Just. Don’t. Get. It.

Where are you at ultimate edition? I can’t be that stupid. Just a tad but definitely not that much.

Wait it’s 7am why am I up this early?

Yeah, I won't pretend to know how that works. I must say though, the ultimate edition doesn't seem that worth it to me. It's 80 for the deluxe, which nets you the extra navi voices and costumes. Fair enough. But then the ultimate is another 30 just for items and accessories. Those you can get in-game. 

Oh hey. My copy of Daybreak arrived. I wasn't expecting that at all. NISA never sent out an email or updated the order status or anything, it just.... arrived. I was ready to be angry at them because my copy was seemingly stuck in limbo, but hey, they actually delivered it on release date. The only reason I didn;t get it yesterday was because of USPS telling me I needed to sign for it (they can't deliver to my door cuz I live in an apartment that blocks elevator access to non-residents and they never called me to tell me I needed to sign)

I found it. It was in the … thing(which I hit yesterday and sure didn’t see any edition options but whatever) so I was happy to go ahead and drop $119 after tax in support after yrs of entertainment.

Also starting to get a bit worried looking at my cooking list vs how much longer the game likely isn’t to be..I only have 22 of 24. The guide hasn’t said anything about turning in my final dishes to statue or the police guy. Also only have 13 Sunshine Agnes and yet again no mention of turning the set in. Unless I still have so much more to do at the end then it feels like…something seems off.

Edited by Briar King

Tomorrow I will be pressing on finally. It was a crowded house for the 4th that went over what it should have with Beryl knocking out my fams power keeping them here in Louisiana. Mixed with me having to reacquire/sometimes buy 100’s of Umats for divine cloth armor and I accidentally bought Wazy’s twice wasting a further 60 of them ugh… The Switch is my bedroom currently on my new 50 in tv while my den was occupied by my son and niece for days on end. Rather uncomfortable to play sitting in bed for long periods. I will bring it back in den tomorrow for next session.

Yesterday I checked ship times on Amazon for the heck of it and it said I could get the game around Friday next week. Today I actually bought the thing and it'll get here this Saturday. So that was quite a decrease, either that or (more likely) I misread last time, I guess they got some copies into the country, is this series getting popular enough for that?

Anyway, really excited. This kinda screws up the timing for other stuff I was trying to finish as I know this'll consume my life, and I was counting on at least a week of shipping to take care of that, but hey, what a problem to have, right?

Guess I'll try to at least finish Reverie's post-game and see if I can give the demo another go.

Game is here! Very first thing I noticed, there are Spika songs here, plus the phones are called Xipha. Ah, yet more evidence that Zemuria is a simulation inside the Tokyo Xanadu world. Possibly created by a Towa fan who then ṕroceded to insert her into the world. And then immediately regret putting her so close to Rean.

I'm a little worried about completionism. It seems the way to edge yourself towards an ending is by picking which quests to do and which to skip, but I don't wanna do that, I want to do every quest I come across. So I guess I'll get whichever ending that nets me.

Otherwise, I'm just marveling at how pretty the game is. The place does very much finally looks like a city. Having mute npcs adds a lot of life to it to. And. AND. THERE ARE BATHROOMS NOW. Van has even separate rooms for a toilet and a shower. We're living in the future now.

Chapter 1:

Spoiler

Already got the first hint of Fie, and Zin is here! He seems a lot more carefree than I remember. Not that I remember a whole lot.

Curious about that Van lore from 6 years ago. Guess he would have been 18 back then. Damn, he looked so much older but I guess he's only got 2 years over Estelle. Still keeping the protagonists close in age I see. Crazier to think that Agnes was 10. She would fit right in with all the other kids running around Rolent.

Also, quite surprised at the game acknowledging some, let's say, "mature" expressions, jokes, and themes. Some M-rated expressions cut just in time to keep the T, that reporter going through half a doujin plot with the slime, mentions of actual sexual harassment taking place in public spaces. This kind of stuff was a lot less common before.

Well, got a dessert tour to go through. I swear, Van is my animal spirit.

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

I'm a little worried about completionism. It seems the way to edge yourself towards an ending is by picking which quests to do and which to skip, but I don't wanna do that, I want to do every quest I come across. So I guess I'll get whichever ending that nets me.

There are NOT different endings. The ending is the same no matter what. The alignment system changes two things. If you get it to level 3 before a certain chapter, you get an extra decision in that chapter (its very easy to do, just balance them), and if you max it out you get a unique hollow core for Van (Chaos is the best). Just balance them all to level 3, then focus Chaos.

3 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

There are NOT different endings. The ending is the same no matter what. The alignment system changes two things. If you get it to level 3 before a certain chapter, you get an extra decision in that chapter (its very easy to do, just balance them), and if you max it out you get a unique hollow core for Van (Chaos is the best). Just balance them all to level 3, then focus Chaos.

That's actually such a relief. Well, so far (like 3 quests) the quests themselves seem quite balanced, maybe leaning towards law a little bit. Idk about focusing on chaos though, mean option in a video game and all that. I already get mad at Van for being chaos in cutscenes. 

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

That's actually such a relief. Well, so far (like 3 quests) the quests themselves seem quite balanced, maybe leaning towards law a little bit. Idk about focusing on chaos though, mean option in a video game and all that. I already get mad at Van for being chaos in cutscenes. 

Most of the Chaos options aren't really mean. Van is not a bad person so he won't do something outright evil, and iirc there are less Chaos options in the game than the others. The Chaos options are usually extreme, but he's not gonna like break someone's kneecaps if you choose it. At absolute worst, he threatens you in some way. In general, it's trying to make things better but through a morally dubious means. 

I'll keep that in mind. I guess I just wasn't a fan of the first couple of choices I saw. Hell, now that I'm a little further, it seems that Law and Gray grow almost passively, but if I want to grow Chaos I have to make it an actual goal. This is gonna be something. 

Anyway, Chapter 1 End:

Spoiler

They really went and killed a semi-major character and a whole Jaeger squad in chapter 1 huh. And right after Agnes's speech about finding another way, which usually sets in stone that they will make it. So I can't take the secret technique of protagonist optimism for granted anymore, they can fail now. I like it, I guess uncertainty is back into play.

Aside from that, let's see. Feri is absolutely not what I expected. After so many child jaegers I thought I had a feel for them, carefree but ruthless, you know? But this girl is a literal angel. How did she survive? Well, considering how fast she recovered from that end of chapter event, and how well she took being kicked from home, I guess she's pretty hardy. 

Npcs are cool, I have several favorites already. I'm invested in the idols, the excersising couple to be, the entitled family starting a life in a poorer neighborhood, the kid who wants to become a bracer to protect the girl he likes. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, there's a lot of good ones. 

It was nice to see signs of Towa and the gang, as well as Rufus and Lapis. Good to know they're seeing the world. 

31 minutes ago, Eluvianii said:

I'll keep that in mind. I guess I just wasn't a fan of the first couple of choices I saw. Hell, now that I'm a little further, it seems that Law and Gray grow almost passively, but if I want to grow Chaos I have to make it an actual goal. This is gonna be something. 

Anyway, Chapter 1 End:

Hide contents

They really went and killed a semi-major character and a whole Jaeger squad in chapter 1 huh. And right after Agnes's speech about finding another way, which usually sets in stone that they will make it. So I can't take the secret technique of protagonist optimism for granted anymore, they can fail now. I like it, I guess uncertainty is back into play.

Aside from that, let's see. Feri is absolutely not what I expected. After so many child jaegers I thought I had a feel for them, carefree but ruthless, you know? But this girl is a literal angel. How did she survive? Well, considering how fast she recovered from that end of chapter event, and how well she took being kicked from home, I guess she's pretty hardy. 

Npcs are cool, I have several favorites already. I'm invested in the idols, the excersising couple to be, the entitled family starting a life in a poorer neighborhood, the kid who wants to become a bracer to protect the girl he likes. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, there's a lot of good ones. 

It was nice to see signs of Towa and the gang, as well as Rufus and Lapis. Good to know they're seeing the world. 

Spoiler

Welcome to the most bloodthirsty Trails game. Body count is crazy high.

Oh don't worry, Feri isn't completely innocent. She's a very innocent little baby who also says some scary things sometimes. She'll happily break your arm if you give her a reason to want to do that.

wdym signs of Towa and the gang? I don't remember any references to Towa and co in this chapter

44 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:
  Hide contents

Welcome to the most bloodthirsty Trails game. Body count is crazy high.

Oh don't worry, Feri isn't completely innocent. She's a very innocent little baby who also says some scary things sometimes. She'll happily break your arm if you give her a reason to want to do that.

wdym signs of Towa and the gang? I don't remember any references to Towa and co in this chapter

Spoiler

Alright, it wasn't super explicit so I admit I could be wrong at least about those 4, but basically the girl working at the inn in Creil was talking about past customers, and she mentions a girl who devoured the whole menu and a blonde pretty boy who looked familiar, so that'd be Rufus and Lapis. And right after that she mentions seeing a group of 4 people that had nothing in common and that se can't imagine how they got together given how different they were. So I'd say that describes Towa, Crow, Angie, and George pretty well. 

Well, it kinda fits the SSS too, but no way in hell they'd go on a trip without Kea. 

2 hours ago, Eluvianii said:
  Hide contents

Alright, it wasn't super explicit so I admit I could be wrong at least about those 4, but basically the girl working at the inn in Creil was talking about past customers, and she mentions a girl who devoured the whole menu and a blonde pretty boy who looked familiar, so that'd be Rufus and Lapis. And right after that she mentions seeing a group of 4 people that had nothing in common and that se can't imagine how they got together given how different they were. So I'd say that describes Towa, Crow, Angie, and George pretty well. 

Well, it kinda fits the SSS too, but no way in hell they'd go on a trip without Kea. 

Okay that's what I thought. I was actually confused about that, because in the fan translation, there was never a suggestion like that. That's a mistranslation. Here's what it was actually talking about. 

Spoiler

It was actually talking about Nadia and Swin also being with Rufus. If you remember the Reverie credits sequence, we see the Picnic Squad actually in Creil Village there. So that group of four is ALSO talking about Rufus and Lapis, she's just wondering what brought those two and Swin/Nadia together since all four are so different. 

10 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Okay that's what I thought. I was actually confused about that, because in the fan translation, there was never a suggestion like that. That's a mistranslation. Here's what it was actually talking about. 

Hide contents

It was actually talking about Nadia and Swin also being with Rufus. If you remember the Reverie credits sequence, we see the Picnic Squad actually in Creil Village there. So that group of four is ALSO talking about Rufus and Lapis, she's just wondering what brought those two and Swin/Nadia together since all four are so different. 

I see. I just double checked and they definitely made it sound like a different group. So that's a rather curious thing to change. Or conversely a rather curious thing to mess up. Not a terribly important one, but still. 

Spoiler

Cool to know the 4 are together though. I was kinda wondering about that. 

Probably not a spoiler. 

Ok Grimcat is essentially Cat's Eye. With some Lupin III sprinkled in maybe. If we go there Inspector Nate actually looks really similar to the detective from Cat's Eye.

I just think that's cool.

One could make an argument that Inspector Daswani's outfit looks like Zenigata's but that's probably stretching it.