Trails of Cold Steel (and the Kiseki series in general)

Zurvanight

Chapter 2 end:

Spoiler

Alright, clearly I have to start looking out for small, homogeneous groups of people. They're gonna die.

We're getting deeper into fantasy here. I mean, it's been fantasy since the beginning, but at first most magic is simply Zemuria's version of science. But slowly they added in dragons, magic wolves, witches, and now we have a demon that possesses a young man every few generations to conquer a very specific portion of the continent? That's prophecy level fantasy. It was pretty cool.

Relations are getting kinda unstable. Elaine seems to recognize that Van's position allows him to help people in ways the guild couldn't, SSS style, but the fact that he's working with several groups of people that are openly at odds with one another might just blow up at some point.

The whole thing about Elaine getting closer and closer to force Agnes out of the picture is pretty interesting and I think something like it would have been fitting in Sky. Not complaining but it always seemed sort of baffling that they let Tita just help you out throughout the whole second game. You don't take the 12 year old who only learned how to use a weapon as self defense to help you kill god.

So far both Old Town and Langport gave me this feeling of community that I'm really enjoying. Everyone is looking out for one another, and we're not just told that, we can actively see it. I love that very much. Leeves is my favorite hub but damn, 2 chapters in and Old Town is making good competition. The different shops all looking out for Paulette, the oldest of the kids taking care of the one who's home alone all day. The kid from the bathhouse taking care of business and having a good relationship with the older folk. It's a beautiful community.

And of course Langport did something similar because that was the whole theme of the chapter. Really cool place. Really liked the people there. Really enjoyed finally meeting Jack and Halle. Not sure when they became gambling partners, I seriously have to boot up Reverie and read that. Aaron is a cool character, slightly hard to believe there's 5 years of difference between him and Van.

You know, there was this whole moment explaining how Van needs to charge more than the guild to be able to sustain himself. He has 3 employees now, I don't think "slightly more than the guild" is gonna cut it anymore...

The movies are cool. Doesn't make up for the fact that I haven't seen a single book outside of newspapers but I like them. Sober Curious in particular is pretty much Perfect Blue so naturally I'm a fan.

Balancing the alignment isn't as bad as I thought. There are some chaos choices I do like. The one with the stalker was pretty satisfying.

Well, on to the next chapter. I just started and we got a beeped out f bomb which was hilarious. Can't wait for the final arc to be rated M.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't played for like a week so virtually no progress, but I'm freaking out just a tiny little bit and I want to mention it. 

Chapter 3, day 1

Spoiler

Van met Renne 5 years ago! That's right before Zero, during her journey for answers. And considering a certain place I got spoiled is in Calvard, I can't imagine the bundle of emotions she was. I need the details! 

And of course the moment she transfers to another school she goes straight into the council. And maintains a secret hacker website all the while. Her sadistic comments are resurfacing too. I'm so proud of her. 

1 hour ago, Eluvianii said:

I haven't played for like a week so virtually no progress, but I'm freaking out just a tiny little bit and I want to mention it. 

Chapter 3, day 1

Hide contents

Van met Renne 5 years ago! That's right before Zero, during her journey for answers. And considering a certain place I got spoiled is in Calvard, I can't imagine the bundle of emotions she was. I need the details! 

And of course the moment she transfers to another school she goes straight into the council. And maintains a secret hacker website all the while. Her sadistic comments are resurfacing too. I'm so proud of her. 

Did you not do the post game Reverie daydreams that teased Daybreak? We already learned about that in that daydream

2 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Did you not do the post game Reverie daydreams that teased Daybreak? We already learned about that in that daydream

Makes sense. I'm missing a couple. Game arrived while I was in the middle of the 7th stratum. 

Reverie Reverie Reverie

I come for you now! Will have to get my tv back from my son. Will be quite the switch from Switch to PS5 after being on Switch since May of 23 to finish off Xenoblade 3. I’ve gotten so used to the convenience of Switch over the last year holding a proper controller again is really unappealing.

Crossbell 1&2 *chefs kiss 

utterly balling ass games but I’ve been ready to press forward timeline wise the entire 6 months I’ve been on them. Now it’s time to do just that!

I’m now trying to figure out which site I want to use for guide. Been on Neoseeker since CS3 but it started to bug out on me big time late CB1 rebooting itself and adding a little box I had to click x on. Very annoying to deal with suddenly after yrs of nothing or go to gamefaqs. I don’t see either Zoelius or venhim guides on that though. I’ve loaded up neoseekers and have already started hitting that dumb x box.

thoughts?

Neoseeker is the best guide, but you don't really need it much for Reverie. There's not a ton of missable content. If you want to use a guide then do Neoseeker but it isn't strictly necessary. So long as you're thorough checking stores and looking around for important characters, you should be just fine. There is exactly one missable sidequest, it's right at the start of the game and marked on the map. There are no missable books at all, the book can all be bought from stores and even if you miss a chapter, you can still buy it elsewhere. The only missable things are character notes and recipes (and maybe accessories but I doubt it). 

Yeah, game is a big change of pace in that it's very linear. We exchanged missables for gacha, you might be 100 hours in and find a book series you were missing in a random chest. Not that the gacha is a problem. The actual important bits the game just hands to you. 

OH! MY! GODDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!

YESSSSSSSSSS!

YESSSSSSSSSS!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!¡¡¡

This is even more epic coming fresh off of CB2. This would not hit near as hard off of CS4. My face HURTS! I’m smiling!

Holyrust!!!!

Also complete???? as this gave me credit for finishing CB1&2 on a different console with a different player name so very confused on that part but whatever.

Edited by Briar King

The console knows all. 

One of the best moments in the series for sure. One of the best themes too, Destination of Fate is one of my favorites in the game. 

Well, while I'm here. 

Chapter 3 day 1 again

Spoiler

The hair ties dammit I'm actually crying here! I legitimately had to stop and just wait to calm down, like dude! 

Phew, ok, I'm fine, probably. God I'm gonna tear up again just typing it...

I'm also a bit surprised at how easily Van takes it. People seem to be about as skeptical about the subject as people irl. Even in the series I think this is maybe the second time one shows up? It's rare for sure but he was almost expecting it. 

Falcom has refined fanservice into an art. What the hell was that scene at the end of day 1 of chapter 3? The conversation, the references. Some of the weight left by the 3rd has been lifted, and more. I'm so proud of these characters, I'm so happy for these characters, I can't... 

Falcom has refined fanservice into an art. What the hell was that scene at the end of day 1 of chapter 3? The conversation, the references. Some of the weight left by the 3rd has been lifted, and more. I'm so proud of these characters, I'm so happy for these characters, I can't... 

Which scene was that?

9 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Which scene was that?

Spoiler

Conversation with Renne, Kilika, and Zin at a bridge. The amount of callbacks was kind of insane for such a short scene. This is one of those scenes that would be completely meaningless for a new player. It tells you nothing unless you played the whole thing. 

Hide contents

Conversation with Renne, Kilika, and Zin at a bridge. The amount of callbacks was kind of insane for such a short scene. This is one of those scenes that would be completely meaningless for a new player. It tells you nothing unless you played the whole thing. 

Oh I'm dumb. For some reason I thought you meant sexy fan service, and I was trying to think of what that could be. This makes far more sense

• 3 weeks later...