Timing in the cosmere

Koloss17

So I have recently finished rereading the Mistborn series and a thought struck me. 

When do the books take place in relative time to each other? 

Elantris, Mistborn Era 1, warbreaker, and the stormlight archives all seem to be medieval-ish, but are they all happening at relatively the same time? 

I know that oathbreaker has to be after warframe because nightblood talks about Vasher, but what of the others? And when does Hoid decide to jump around in the cosmere?

another question I have is relating to the cognitive realm. The cosmere is one big solar system, so that means some planets orbit faster than others. So would worldhoppers really have to know when they want to get where if they are say, doing a delivery of some sort from one planet to the next, or handing nightblood from one planet to the other? I have to admit, the delivery of nightblood was kinda perfect. Did Hoid send nightblood?

i know I might have crammed in a lot of questions into one, but I’m really curious about all of this. 

I had something written here but I erased it as soon as ChickenLiberty replied. It was mere speculation, seeing as I didn't know.

As for Nightblood, I think Zahel/Vasher came to Roshar with Nightblood/sword-nimi (for whatever reason) and I think Brandon has said that they had a "falling out." Vivenna/Azure followed, which is why she keeps mentioned she is looking for somebody, who was Vasher. 

Also I was looking through Oathbringer and noticed the part where Azure is doing the kata which she says she learned from her swordmaster (Vasher), and Adolin is doing it too, and he says he learned it from his swordmaster (Vasher in disguise) and Kaladin joins in, maybe because he too learned it from his swordmaster (also Vasher in disguise).

Edited by Knight of Iron

44 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

another question I have is relating to the cognitive realm. The cosmere is one big solar system, so that means some planets orbit faster than others. So would worldhoppers really have to know when they want to get where if they are say, doing a delivery of some sort from one planet to the next, or handing nightblood from one planet to the other?

The Cosmere is not all in one solar system; it takes place in a dwarf galaxy. If you read Arcanum Unbounded, it has star charts for each of the worlds, except for Nalthis (The Warbreaker planet), which is under news here on the Shard.

9 hours ago, Karger said:

This lists Nightblood before Shadow for Silence, but it should be just before WoK. 

Questioner 1

Timeline-wise will Warbreaker 2 come before Stormlight Archive or is it after?

Brandon Sanderson

Before the end of the Stormlight?

Questioner 1

So Warbreaker 2 would it take place before the start of...

Brandon Sanderson

Oh, before. Yeah, Warbreaker 2 chronologically is pre-Stormlight. Before Stormlight 1, yeah.

Questioner 1

Pre-Stormlight. Okay.

Questioner 2

I'm excited for that.

Brandon Sanderson

In fact, chronologically I think it's the exact book before Stormlight 1. I don't think there's anything in between there.

Questioner 1

Will the book say why Nightblood's on [Roshar]...

Brandon Sanderson

It will at least hint at it. I mean the book is called Nightblood. If it doesn't I'll write a bridge novella to kind of do that.

Questioner 1

Bridge the gap?

Brandon Sanderson

Bridge the gap. Because the story-- I'm not sure if I can work in everything. Because the story isn't about Nightblood leaving. It's about-- yeah.

Questioner 1

Yeah, it's not about that. It's just kind of like a... how did that transition happen.

Brandon Sanderson

I mean, yeah. Vasher's cosmere-aware, and so the more you talk to him the more some of this stuff will come out.

White Sand vol.1 release party (June 28, 2016)

Barring any new updates or WoBs, this is the current timeline as I understand it.

Within the first 1000 years, Odium went after Ambition but didn't find her, he did end up finding Devotion and Dominion and killed them, then stuffed them into the Cognitive Realm. Elantris is very ahead in the Cosmere timeline, with only White Sand preceding it. Roshar has been having Desolations for millenia, 4500 years ago was just the Last Desolation. We actually don't know when Ruin and Preservation created Scadrial, we know other Shards did visit it. We also know that the Lord Ruler ruled for a 1024 years and that it has been 342 years since the Catacendre in Wax & Wayne book 1; Mistborn era 2 is set between the front 5 and back 5 of The Stormlight Archives.

2 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

This lists Nightblood before Shadow for Silence, but it should be just before WoK. 

It is not mine.  They must be behind at updating it.  Also I don't think the WoB disproves that.  It is before WoKs just it is also after Nightblood.

2 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

In fact, chronologically I think it's the exact book before Stormlight 1. I don't think there's anything in between there.

Edited by Karger

2 hours ago, Karger said:

It is not mine.  They must be behind at updating it.  Also I don't think the WoB disproves that.  It is before WoKs just it is also after Nightblood.

Well, yeah, it doesn't prove anything, since Brandon was unsure, but its the best information we have on it right now.

18 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

The Cosmere is not all in one solar system; it takes place in a dwarf galaxy.

Sorry to nitpick, but Brandon revised the cosmere’s status as a dwarf galaxy. Apparently, those are too large for what he wants, so now the cosmere’s a star cluster.

Questioner

Is there a center to the cosmere?

Brandon Sanderson

There isn't a center in the cosmere... I keep calling it a dwarf galaxy but I think they decided it's a cluster, instead of a dwarf galaxy.

Overlord Jebus

Even a dwarf galaxy is still really big.

Brandon Sanderson

Yeah, still too big. So we had to call it a cluster. Because we only wanted like what, we came up with 50 or 100 stars? So it's a cluster. Or a really dwarf galaxy.

Peter Ahlstrom

The involved [cosmere] planets are actually in a rather small star cluster, much smaller than a dwarf galaxy. This star cluster is within a galaxy.

• Chaos locked this topic