The Mandalorian

Philomath

19 minutes ago, Kelsier Kenobi said:

I do not recall ever being more speechless or surprised at the end of an episode. That finale...I can’t believe they went there. 

Oh they went there.

Spoiler

I am thoroughly impressed with this season as a whole. Only a couple of episodes felt like fillers, and the levels of connection are blowing my mind. Ahsoka, Luke, and the dark saber all playing important roles in one tv show is absolutely blowing my mind!

Episode 8 spoilers: 

Spoiler

I was believe it or not, a little disappointed. Sure, seeing Luke was cool, but his face was a little uncanny valley, and I have never been a huge fan of him in the first place. But I was hoping for a bit more, like Thrawn, or Sabine, or a major death or something. The rescue operation and attacking Gideons cruiser felt too easy, and Gideon felt a bit too lame. Sure, Esposito was great, but he felt a bit overhyped considering how easy it was to take him down. 

Very cool set-up though. Din vs Bo-Katan and Bobas Syndicate will be awesome. And I do wonder where they will go with Gideon in Season 3, considering he is still around. 

28 minutes ago, Ookla the Steampunked said:

Oh they went there.

Hide contents

I am thoroughly impressed with this season as a whole. Only a couple of episodes felt like fillers, and the levels of connection are blowing my mind. Ahsoka, Luke, and the dark saber all playing important roles in one tv show is absolutely blowing my mind!

Spoiler

I kept think the whole time “That’s not him”. It’s gotta be Kal Kestis or Ezra Bridger. They want us to think that’s Luke but there’s no way. It’s not that far of a stretch to think one of those other two could show up in an X-Wing. But man they went there and I was floored

First, and most importantly: 

Dubstep?! In MY Star Wars?! Booooooo!

It's also odd that we probably won't get a continuation of the story next season: 

Spoiler

Based on the show episodes being called chapters and the first two seasons being Chapter 1 through 16, I think the Book of Boba Fett will be Season 3 and will focus on how Boba Fett survived, a little of what he was doing before events of season 2, and a little about his criminal empire. 

Moff Gideon will be in Rangers of the New Republic. 

Meanwhile, Ahsoka is going to be doing her thing. 

I don't know when/if we'll see Grogu, Din and Bo-Katan again. 

Edited by Ooklara

1 hour ago, Ooklara said:

First, and most importantly: 

Dubstep?! In MY Star Wars?! Booooooo!

It's also odd that we probably won't get a continuation of the story next season: 

Reveal hidden contents

Based on the show episodes being called chapters and the first two seasons being Chapter 1 through 16, I think the Book of Boba Fett will be Season 3 and will focus on how Boba Fett survived, a little of what he was doing before events of season 2, and a little about his criminal empire. 

Moff Gideon will be in Rangers of the New Republic. 

Meanwhile, Ashoka is going to be doing her thing. 

I don't know when/if we'll see Grogu, Din and Bo-Katan again. 

Spoiler

I have to disagree. Reportedly the “Book of Boba Fett” is a new spinoff show, which would make a lot more sense considering the loose threads left by this season’s finale. I have trouble imagining how a show with Boba Fett’s criminal empire would tie into a big crossover with Rangers of the New Republic and Ahsoka, whereas it feels like a quest to retake Mandalore from the Imperial Remnants could tie in nicely with the other shows. It’s possible this will be Season 3, but considering that Bo-Katan and Ahsoka have a connection already and that this finale very clearly set up some sort of conflict between Bo and Din over the Darksaber, I think a show literally called “The Mandalorian” is more likely to focus on Mandalore itself than a criminal underworld. Sure, there might be Mandalorian bounty hunters, but that’s far from the only things Mandalorians are.

(In addition to this, Jon Favreau said they’re waiting for Pedro Pascal to be available before they start filming Season 3. I think that’s pretty much confirmation.)

As for Grogu, I think he’s gone for good. The Empire harvested his blood for cloning purposes, and now that they’ve done that they don’t completely need the child to create Snoke/Resurrect Palps/whatever the heck else they’re planning to do. And to be honest, I don’t want Grogu back. He served his purpose in humanizing Din, and now that more story has been set up without Grogu in it, I would be far more interested in seeing Din progress further on his path instead of having another season of “going to find another Jedi to take the Child.”

Just now, Aspiring Writer said:

... that is so informative. Thank you so much.

You are welcome! :D

Though seriously, there isn't really an "in-world" explanation that doesn't involve "Din just wasn't himself because stress" explanations. There's only structural explanations. 

Which is bad writing, but that's Star Wars! 

Spoiler

I am not ashamed to say that I cried.  I cried, I yelled.  I'm still crying.

Grogu belongs with his dad.  That's all I have to say.  He belongs with his dad, and they just threw all of that away.  I don't like it.  I don't like it at all.  

Edit.  Having walked out in tears, I was called back.  What.  The storming.  Storms.

Edit No. 2: Having minorly calmed down: Thanks, I hate it.

My other major thought in the episode was that we got the female Avengers.  That's what they were, we all agree, right?

Edited by Spren of Kindness

First off I just want to say that I have really enjoyed this show. I thought the first season was great, but this season was even better. I enjoyed each episode connecting to the next and it really felt more like a cohesive story instead of an episodic series. (Which aren’t bad when that is what you are going for.) 

Spoiler

I am mildly disappointed that it was Luke who showed up. While it seems I may be one of the few people who liked the sequel trilogy, I am also ready for Star Wars to grow beyond the Skywalkers. (And I agree that the face was just slightly off for lack of a better word. It’s like it looks good, but my brain clearly knows it’s fake so it just isn’t “right.”)

I hope Grogu comes back. Maybe there will be something that comes up first episode of Season 3 and Din has to come get him. And didn’t Ahsoka say Grogu could choose if he wanted to be a Jedi or not? Maybe he decides it isn’t the path he wants. I like the relationship between Grogu and Din. Though this did set up some nice separate Din storylines, as pointed out above, if that is the way they want to go. Din has clearly grown as a character and I look forward to seeing where he goes from here. 

I FINALLY caught up! My thoughts: 

Spoiler

First off I TOTALLY CALLED THAT LUKE APPEARANCE! I mean, I'm pretty sure most of us did, but I'm still glad I was right! I thought it was Sebastian Stan until a friend pointed out that it wasn't, and my dad and I saw the credits. Luke's role in this episode was everything we wanted from him in the ST, and it was so storming good. It's also a sign of how sometimes the predictable answer isn't always the bad answer. We all knew someone was coming to save the day, and we all pretty much figured it'd be Luke. But seeing him kick so much butt by himself and actually appear on-screen was so awesome! It's not knowing the answer that's bad, it's how one presents the answer.

Secondly, there were a LOT of old-school sci-fi references in this episode. My dad and I saw Battlestar Galactica in the Dark Troopers, Alien in the air-lock sequence, Terminator with the flamethrower and some other stuff, and I think one more reference somewhere. We sadly couldn't find a Predator reference though...

Third, BAE IS BACK! Sasha Banks may not be the best actor on the show, but she's cute and I enjoy seeing her. Bo-Katan's shots at Boba Fett were soooo well-done for a non-Boba fan like myself.

Fourth, I love the girl power and the team-up aspects in this episode and the finales in general. Outside of Gideon, the women on this show have consistently been the best performers (although Baby Yoda is the true star), so seeing them all team up here was really fun. I hope they keep them around. In terms of the team-ups, I'm just a giant sucker for that "ragtag group of misfits teaming up" trope (so long as the characters are actual characters and the story gives everyone time to shine) and seeing it in the finales of The Mandalorian is no exception.

However, like always, this episode wasn't perfect. More and more I've noticed the CGI failings in this show. Part of it is probably because I'm looking for them, but other parts are far too noticeable to miss. The Imperial shuttle in this episode was NOT pretty, and I cringed nearly every time I saw it. (It wasn't pretty in the previous episode either.) Sasha Banks' acting was pretty rough at some points towards the beginning. I think it worked for her character, but I still noticed it. And lastly, that CGI Luke, while good, was still a little off. I think going with Sebastian Stan still would have been the right choice.

Overall, this was a very solid finale in an even better season than before. I've said it once and I'll say it again - The Mandalorian is the sequel series that fans didn't know they wanted, but pushes all of the right sequel series buttons. It's created far more goodwill than the ST has done with a fraction of the controversy, and is far more respectful to all sides of canon than the ST was. I'm curious how the next season will look for the show, but I'm here for the ride. This is the Way.

14 hours ago, Spren of Kindness said:
  Hide contents

I am not ashamed to say that I cried.  I cried, I yelled.  I'm still crying.

Grogu belongs with his dad.  That's all I have to say.  He belongs with his dad, and they just threw all of that away.  I don't like it.  I don't like it at all.  

Edit.  Having walked out in tears, I was called back.  What.  The storming.  Storms.

Edit No. 2: Having minorly calmed down: Thanks, I hate it.

My other major thought in the episode was that we got the female Avengers.  That's what they were, we all agree, right?

Spoiler

As for the female Avengers, yeah, I noticed that, but it didn’t irk me near as much as it did in Endgame. Not to say that powerful women are bad (they’re great!) or that women should have less roles in movies, tv shows, etc (because they should normal/equal amounts of roles!) but this time it wasn’t crammed down my throat like when Marvel tried to do it. It felt very organic and natural; Boba had to leave anyways because it would be kinda awkward for he and Luke to meet, so the screen writers would have to have him go away anyhow, and having the one male mandolorian go away was pretty small/not too major (he was kinda easy to miss in the first place), and so what we were left with was not a dramatic line-up or memorable one-liners, but rather a group of naturally placed females who are simply excellent at their jobs. For me, I think it does a far better job at conveying what the intended message was in Endgame.

EDIT: Also for the CGI, I really didn’t notice anything odd. It looked normal to me, but judging by everyone else’s answer maybe I need to get my vision checked:P

Edited by Truthless of Shinovar

45 minutes ago, Use the Falchion said:

I FINALLY caught up! My thoughts: 

Hide contents

First off I TOTALLY CALLED THAT LUKE APPEARANCE! I mean, I'm pretty sure most of us did, but I'm still glad I was right! I thought it was Sebastian Stan until a friend pointed out that it wasn't, and my dad and I saw the credits. Luke's role in this episode was everything we wanted from him in the ST, and it was so storming good. It's also a sign of how sometimes the predictable answer isn't always the bad answer. We all knew someone was coming to save the day, and we all pretty much figured it'd be Luke. But seeing him kick so much butt by himself and actually appear on-screen was so awesome! It's not knowing the answer that's bad, it's how one presents the answer.

Secondly, there were a LOT of old-school sci-fi references in this episode. My dad and I saw Battlestar Galactica in the Dark Troopers, Alien in the air-lock sequence, Terminator with the flamethrower and some other stuff, and I think one more reference somewhere. We sadly couldn't find a Predator reference though...

Third, BAE IS BACK! Sasha Banks may not be the best actor on the show, but she's cute and I enjoy seeing her. Bo-Katan's shots at Boba Fett were soooo well-done for a non-Boba fan like myself.

Fourth, I love the girl power and the team-up aspects in this episode and the finales in general. Outside of Gideon, the women on this show have consistently been the best performers (although Baby Yoda is the true star), so seeing them all team up here was really fun. I hope they keep them around. In terms of the team-ups, I'm just a giant sucker for that "ragtag group of misfits teaming up" trope (so long as the characters are actual characters and the story gives everyone time to shine) and seeing it in the finales of The Mandalorian is no exception.

However, like always, this episode wasn't perfect. More and more I've noticed the CGI failings in this show. Part of it is probably because I'm looking for them, but other parts are far too noticeable to miss. The Imperial shuttle in this episode was NOT pretty, and I cringed nearly every time I saw it. (It wasn't pretty in the previous episode either.) Sasha Banks' acting was pretty rough at some points towards the beginning. I think it worked for her character, but I still noticed it. And lastly, that CGI Luke, while good, was still a little off. I think going with Sebastian Stan still would have been the right choice.

Overall, this was a very solid finale in an even better season than before. I've said it once and I'll say it again - The Mandalorian is the sequel series that fans didn't know they wanted, but pushes all of the right sequel series buttons. It's created far more goodwill than the ST has done with a fraction of the controversy, and is far more respectful to all sides of canon than the ST was. I'm curious how the next season will look for the show, but I'm here for the ride. This is the Way.

Spoiler

I didn't really notice the CGI on anything other than Luke.  Though to be fair, I was about to cry at that point, so was literally blinded.  I agree, though, it should have been Sebastian Stan.

Edit: @Truthless of Shinovar, you quoted me right as I was posting this.

Spoiler

I really liked it too, it felt natural.  In fact, that might have been my favorite part.  I only pointed it out because I have this weird, very dry and snarky response to things like that, because it's the sort of thing you always hear people talking about not getting.

Edited by Spren of Kindness

1 hour ago, Truthless of Shinovar said:
  Hide contents

As for the female Avengers, yeah, I noticed that, but it didn’t irk me near as much as it did in Endgame. Not to say that powerful women are bad (they’re great!) or that women should have less roles in movies, tv shows, etc (because they should normal/equal amounts of roles!) but this time it wasn’t crammed down my throat like when Marvel tried to do it. It felt very organic and natural; Boba had to leave anyways because it would be kinda awkward for he and Luke to meet, so the screen writers would have to have him go away anyhow, and having the one male mandolorian go away was pretty small/not too major (he was kinda easy to miss in the first place), and so what we were left with was not a dramatic line-up or memorable one-liners, but rather a group of naturally placed females who are simply excellent at their jobs. For me, I think it does a far better job at conveying what the intended message was in Endgame.

EDIT: Also for the CGI, I really didn’t notice anything odd. It looked normal to me, but judging by everyone else’s answer maybe I need to get my vision checked:P

Spoiler

I didn’t think about the Boba fett meeting Luke thing! Nice catch!

as for the rest of the movie, I really liked it! I really liked moff Gideon, and how there was a showing of his character perfectly. He fought with arrogance and passion, kind of like kylo ren. He did not expect to lose, and if he were to lose, he did not expect to live. But I did like how he was calm and calculated past that. He had outsmarted the lot of them again with the whole dark saber and dark trooper thing. 

Talking about the dark troopers, I LOVED their theme. It gave off wonderful machine/factory like tones, as well as having a fast beat to raise your heartbeat as you saw them. Music aside, they were great. I loved how the mandalorian barely survived one of them, which made the whole fleet of them coming back much more scary.

Talking about coming back (man, I am great with these segues), I am very excited for season 3. That Boba fett cutscene was amazing! And I’m really excited and happy that season three will still be about a mandalorian, but it now switching characters to Boba Fett. I think this episode was the perfect ending to Din Jarin’s arc (that can’t be spelled right). Him revealing his face to Grogu was beautiful.

overall, I think this finale was great. Personally, I think there could have been some action replaced with comedy. When you line it up, this finale was more action packed and big scale than season 1’s finale, but that didn’t really make it better. Season one’s finale had that golden scene with the biker scouts which was hands down the best part of the whole series. It also had the whole “do the magic hand thing,” which was cute and hilarious. And the nurse droid’s arc was frankly better than any other arc in the second season’s finale. From the “I am not a living being” scene to his death, he was probably the best character in that finale. Also the dark saber reveal was beautiful.

All of that really cannot be beat by anything this episode had to offer. This finale was great, don’t get me wrong, but it just didn’t have quite the right mixture of feelings and action vs comedy that the first season’s finale did. 

2 hours ago, Jaywalk said:

I feel the need to clear something up - we ARE getting Season 3 of the Mandalorian, focused still on Din Djarin. It was confirmed by a Lucasfilm exec.

So Book of Boba Fett is it's own thing.  Do we know when it'll be released or do we just know the title?

I have questions about if that's going to be family-friendly, but those will probably be answered later.

19 minutes ago, Spren of Kindness said:

So Book of Boba Fett is it's own thing.  Do we know when it'll be released or do we just know the title?

I have questions about if that's going to be family-friendly, but those will probably be answered later.

It’ll be released in December 2021, so around the same time as The Mandalorian.

This is just a guess, but I think it’ll be around the same PG-13 level as The Mandalorian because I don’t think they done anything R rated (from what I’ve seen), and they’ll lose a pretty big customer base if they don’t make it family friendly.

1 minute ago, Lunamor said:

It’ll be released in December 2021, so around the same time as The Mandalorian.

This is just a guess, but I think it’ll be around the same PG-13 level as The Mandalorian because I don’t think they done anything R rated (from what I’ve seen), and they’ll lose a pretty big customer base if they don’t make it family friendly.

Nice.

Logically I knew that, not sure why I asked.  Probably because things ferment in my head.  Thanks anyway!

I loved the heck out of the entirety of season 2

Spoiler

The whole ride from blowing up a krayt dragon to taking off his helmet to say bye at the end, it was a pretty wild ride and I enjoyed it immensely.  A few thoughts (not comprehensive) from the course of the whole season:

1. OMG KRAYT DRAGON.  AND IT'S EVEN BIGGER AND TOUGHER THAN I THOUGHT  (dragons of all sorts are big in my household :D)
  2. Humanizing (if that's the right term for an alien species) the Sand People I thought was a great touch.
  3. Adventures in the Ice Spider Castle of Doom (my alternate name for that episode) was I thought the overall weakest of the season but I still enjoyed it
  4. I've not watched enough of Rebels or Clone Wars to know who Bo-Katan was; had to look that up. Still thought meeting other Mandalorians was great, and finding out Din is a member of a splinter/cult type group (which he wouldn't have known) was really interesting.  Was easter eggy enough for those who've seen it all while not being too hard to follow for people who hadn't
  5. I have however watched enough to know who Ahsoka Tano was and so has my daughter.  She was on vibrate setting for the two weeks between her mention at the end of episode 3 and the part of 5 where she shows up.  Cue many squeals of glee. Similar to her reaction to the Doomslug shirt I got her.
  6. Bringing Greef Karga and Cara Dune for episode 4 was great. Loved what they've done with the place in terms of cleaning house and trying to run an actual town/government instead of just profiting off the dregs.  The Imperial outpost was a great call back, lots of things I recognized from old Star Wars shoots and stuff.
  7. Tracking beacon trope, lol.  Actually surprised it doesn't get used more. 
  8. While I know who Ahsoka is, I haven't seen enough to know why she's adamantly not a Jedi, nor why she's obsessed with Thrawn, whom I didn't know was cannon again. (and no, I don't want spoilers - I'll get around to it eventually).
  9. I feel like Din probably should have stayed up high with the kid in 6, but I also get it would have made him a target and the kid was surrounded by an impenetrable energy field.
  10. Boba Fett and Fennec Shan are both back!  Slave one is back!  and the Razor Crest is just blown up. That made me a little sadder than it probably should have.
  11. I do really like that Fett is a scoundrel, but one with a code.  And also that he's not as sculpted/cut as a lot of the current male heroes are right now.
  12. I freaking LOVED episode 7.  Every bit of it. From Din swapping armor for the driver/trooper armor and still being every bit as still and quiet, the crazy ride and attack sequence to get into the Imperial base, and the hero welcome they got for making the run safely, the whole Imperial officer encounter...that yes Din will take off his helm to save Grogu, correctly judging it to be the more important thing than keeping his face hidden, that Migs takes a turn for the better and gets a back story...yes to the whole thing. And especially yes to Din casting Gideon's speech from season 1 back in his face at the end.
  13. The last episode, I guessed that Luke would probably come calling as a lot of you did - there really aren't that many Jedi, and most casual fans only know of Luke so it made sense to put him in there.  And give him a Vader from Rogue One scene of awesome to boot.
  14. Was so glad Din took his helmet off to say good bye.

I'd kinda hoped Ahsoka might reprise her appearance in this episode as well but I guess it wasn't to be.  Din holds the Darksaber now, and his world has gotten a whole lot bigger. No idea where Season 3 might go but I'll await it with great anticipation.

13 minutes ago, StormingTexan said:

So is everyone else pretty hyped about getting The Book of Boba AND Mandalorian Season 3? I really like where Disney is going with this. Helps restore my faith in them after the last two sequel movies. 

Yup!  I'm really curious to see where BOBF goes, and I have no idea what will happen in season three, so I'm really interested in that.  Especially what happens with Bo'Katan.  I'm curious to see if they take a bit of a political route with that, though it doesn't really fit with what we've seen so far.