The end of the first SA half

Karger

Everyone else has one of these so I figured why not me?  Not sure if this is more of a fan work though.

I think that at the end of SA 5 Dalinar will have put together a decent plan to get Odium.  Only one problem.  This plan requires releasing Odium first.  Dalinar does so and Mr. T informs Odium so Odium is ready for this plan.  However once Mr. T does so he has another intelligence day followed by a supremely empathic day.  The intelligence day gives him a few cryptic words that he is supposed to relate to Jasnah.  He does so and then spends the rest of the end as a drooling but very sympathetic idiot.  The plan involves the contest of champions.  Basically Dalinar offers Odium a deal.  You can get out now if we have the challenge of champions Radiants vs your champion.  The s in this word is key.  Odium allows this to go forward and all the radiants team up against him.  However Odium supercharges his champion will voidlight allowing him to disable or destroy everyone.  Except for Szeth who Jasnah keeps back until the last moment.  Do to his sort of dead nature Szeth can see Odium and using the power of a 5th level Bondsmith(Dalinar did his thing here) he draws Nightblood and kills the vessel himself.  Dun Dun.  Taravangian realizes that the desire of the fused for dead humans is too dangerous and so he takes up the shard himself vowing immediately after ascending never to hurt another life.

What do you think?

11 minutes ago, Ripheus23 said:

I think Taravangian is too creepy for that. Remember him rambling about trapped spren? There's more wrong with him than on/off days, maybe.

I don't know why that would be evidence of something being wrong with him any more than it's just him being philosophical.

2 hours ago, Ripheus23 said:

I think Taravangian is too creepy for that. Remember him rambling about trapped spren? There's more wrong with him than on/off days, maybe.

I think that is pretty normal behavior for an 80 year old philosopher king honestly.

1 hour ago, Llstml said:

Are you saying that Dalinar offers Odium the chance to leave even if he loses the contest of champions? Otherwise the deal is the same as it would be anyways, so Odium would have no extra motivation to fight.

Well Odium also gets to rechoose his champion, so the wording is something like.  "Odium if you come before me right now I will let you choose a different champion to fight against us and liberate you.  Should you win I will submit to you should you loose you must consent to being bound as always."

My question is how will this set up conflict in the second half of SA? Considering Taravangian is bound to never harm another life again, and the fact that the shard's intent couldn't corrupt him over only 15 years, Odium's forces would be basically defeated. Sure, Taravangian is inexperienced with wielding a Shard, but the instinctual understanding combined with 15 years of study should be more than enough for him to figure out how to neutralize the Fused, the Unmade, and the Everstorm. 

6 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

What do you think?

What is the point of fighting once he is released? More importantly, why do the Rosharans fight Odium? To put it bluntly, Taravangian has a point. If you can set Odium free without him insisting on killing most of Roshar, why not make the deal and be done with it?

6 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

What is the point of fighting once he is released? More importantly, why do the Rosharans fight Odium? To put it bluntly, Taravangian has a point. If you can set Odium free without him insisting on killing most of Roshar, why not make the deal and be done with it?

I think it is because of Cultivation.  Odium can't kill her without getting weakened by Dalinar and he can't kill Dalinar without getting splintered by Cultivation.  However with Odium free it is only a matter of time before he solves this problem.

7 hours ago, Honorless said:

Honestly, I want Odium to be Shattered but the conflict to go on without him. Maybe Rayse's Cognitive Shadow will get bound to Braize and he'll go through what he himself put the Heralds through.

It would be a nice juxtaposition if the second half had, instead of the Stormfather, the Everstormfather who merged with Rayse's Cognitive Shadow.

I like the idea of a shattered Odium at the end of book 5, with a new vessel. I tend to like the idea of Dalinar weakening him and Szeth using nightblood against him. At the same time, I think it’s likely that Cultivation deals a blow or sacrifices herself to allow Roshar to grow, and we end up with three shattered shards on Roshar...just waiting to be taken up by another vessel. I mean, what would the shardic combo of Honor, Odium and Cultivation look like?!

14 hours ago, Ookla the Quill said:

I don't know why that would be evidence of something being wrong with him any more than it's just him being philosophical.

It was the way he rambled. I didn't notice how storming disturbing Mr. T sounds in that scene until I reread the book twice. But maybe that's just me.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Runs in the opposite direction.

You better have a GROWING list of things you HATE, that you swear an OATH that you will hate forever. 

So...Arya? lol

7 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

I think it is because of Cultivation.  Odium can't kill her without getting weakened by Dalinar and he can't kill Dalinar without getting splintered by Cultivation.  However with Odium free it is only a matter of time before he solves this problem.

That then raises the question why this would make sense. The Radiants won't release Odium out of kindness. It has to be a deal or it is a trap.
Why would Odium risk his life now? Especially as he has Fortune.

20 minutes ago, Oltux72 said:

Why would Odium risk his life now? Especially as he has Fortune.

Renarin can block that and this is my epic fantasy ending I don't have all the steps that lead up to it. 

Edited by Ookla the Prolific

21 hours ago, Ookla the Prolific said:

Taravangian realizes that the desire of the fused for dead humans is too dangerous and so he takes up the shard himself vowing immediately after ascending never to hurt another life.

I really like this solution (someone taking up Odium and swearing a binding Oath to prevent damage), but unfortunately it's very easy to bypass. All you need to say is "Moash, the Shard is yours!" (and suddenly I'm thinking about a certain future quote from Mistborn...). I don't think any Oath besides total isolation and inability to give up the Shard would work and no sane person (or in Taravangian's case, insane) would probably sign up for this kind of hell

On 12/6/2019 at 4:49 PM, KandraAllomancer said:

I don't think any Oath besides total isolation and inability to give up the Shard would work and no sane person

That is kind of why I think Mr. T is perfect for this role.  He is totally nuts.

On 7.12.2019 at 11:59 PM, Ookla the Prolific said:

That is kind of why I think Mr. T is perfect for this role.  He is totally nuts.

He would become a target basically instantly, though. This kind of Oath would essentially stop him from being able to defend himself and some groups in Cosmere (Ghostbloods or the Ire, for example) would love to put their hands on that kind of power

On 6.12.2019 at 1:18 AM, Ookla the Prolific said:

Except for Szeth who Jasnah keeps back until the last moment.

Yeah, Szeth is perfect for this. He already killed a king, it's time for him to kill a god :)

7 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

He would become a target basically instantly, though. This kind of Oath would essentially stop him from being able to defend himself and some groups in Cosmere (Ghostbloods or the Ire, for example) would love to put their hands on that kind of power

This will be the back half is what I am thinking.

7 hours ago, KandraAllomancer said:

Yeah, Szeth is perfect for this. He already killed a king, it's time for him to kill a god :)

Yes he is also so good at following orders that we know he will hit perfectly.

• Chaos locked this topic