The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints corner

1 hour ago, Slowswift said:

Lol, I'll have to try that. :D 

Speaking of repetive phrases in the BoM, I've been reading in Ether and I swear he was deliberately trying to see how many times he could fit "tight like unto a dish" into a single verse.

My family and I ALWAYS make fun of that. 😂

8 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Study tip!!

When reading the Book of Mormon, replace “it came to pass” with “I kid you not”

It works I promise.

Also, "verily."  That's basically the literal meaning of it: "I'm speaking literally here."

I've started compiling all of my favorite General Conference talks as text in Obsidian, instead of just trying to remember which ones I like best or relying on bookmarks in the Gospel Library app (they're a mess, anyways). I've been meaning to explore that app more anyways and this is the perfect excuse.

• 4 weeks later...

FSY is only lame if you make it lame. This has been one of the best weeks of my life and if you don’t want to go because you think it’s going to be boring, or super dumb, try considering if the Lord would ever do something dumb or lame. “You get out what you put in” is so true, and if you opted out, I beg you to reconsider. It can be a life changing experience.

4 hours ago, Pineap-spider said:

FSY is only lame if you make it lame. This has been one of the best weeks of my life and if you don’t want to go because you think it’s going to be boring, or super dumb, try considering if the Lord would ever do something dumb or lame. “You get out what you put in” is so true, and if you opted out, I beg you to reconsider. It can be a life changing experience.

Yes it was the same for me... Mine was over a month ago and I hung out with some of them on Tuesday... At the testimony meeting at mine I was crying so much and after fsy multiple of the people in the group thanked me for my testimony and said it was what they needed to hear and it was really cool... FSY WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST WEEKS OF YOUR LIFE IF YOU LET IT

10 hours ago, Pineap-spider said:

Amen, brother.

Spoiler

heh

LDS word play

14 hours ago, SourCandyLime said:

Considering the day, I probably won't get an answer from over half of you, but are any of you going to FSY in Thatcher Arizonza? If so, it would be great to meet a Sanderson Nerd there.

Nope, sorry.

I went to FSY at temple square about a month and a half ago, it was awesome. 

It was my 2nd time also, and I think it’s so fun to see the difference between the two! The first time I went it was definitely on the side of me starting to realize that I really do believe in this church (I live in Utah, my entire family and extended family is religious, and at the time most of my friends were too). And I seriously did change so much as I started to take responsibility for my faith and put in the work.

And this year, it felt like a huge emphasis on living rather than learning, which was also exactly what I needed. Instead of focusing on doctrine, it felt very focused on living, on truly becoming a disciple of Christ. 

It was seriously incredible, and I really need to give a talk because I want to ramble for hours about stuff :P

1 minute ago, Edema Rue said:

Nope, sorry.

It was my 2nd time also, and I think it’s so fun to see the difference between the two! The first time I went it was definitely on the side of me starting to realize that I really do believe in this church (I live in Utah, my entire family and extended family is religious, and at the time most of my friends were too). And I seriously did change so much as I started to take responsibility for my faith and put in the work.

And this year, it felt like a huge emphasis on living rather than learning, which was also exactly what I needed. Instead of focusing on doctrine, it felt very focused on living, on truly becoming a disciple of Christ. 

It was seriously incredible, and I really need to give a talk because I want to ramble for hours about stuff :P

I went to Temple Square too! Amazing experience(also a lot less crowded).

32 minutes ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

It seriously was!!

…wait, are you in Utah? Also when did you go?

10 hours ago, Edema Rue said:

Nope, sorry.

10 hours ago, Vyzkel Willbender said:

I saw that there were sessions at temple Square, and almost signed up for one. What are those like?

8 hours ago, Pineap-spider said:

I saw that there were sessions at temple Square, and almost signed up for one. What are those like?

Mine was really good! It was actually the very first session they did there, may 27-June 1st, so it was mostly homeschool kids which was a lot of fun. It was also really small which I liked, it made everything feel so personal, and it was awesome to have classes in the conference center. 

…the dances were beyond awkward, and it took a bit to figure out rooms, but other than that it was great.

On 7/14/2024 at 11:42 PM, Edema Rue said:

It seriously was!!

…wait, are you in Utah? Also when did you go?

Yes I’m from Utah(in my Profile info), and I went the first week of July.

I’m being set apart as a missionary tonight! Tomorrow I start home MTC, and in about ten days I’m off to the São Paulo MTC and in September, Brazil Curitiba South.

Status updates aren’t a thing anymore so I guess this goes here. Thanks for being an awesome community, in this thread and SE and the Shard as a whole. It’s been fun, keep theorizing and enjoy Wind and Truth 🫡

1 minute ago, Mat said:

I’m being set apart as a missionary tonight! Tomorrow I start home MTC, and in about ten days I’m off to the São Paulo MTC and in September, Brazil Curitiba South.

Status updates aren’t a thing anymore so I guess this goes here. Thanks for being an awesome community, in this thread and SE and the Shard as a whole. It’s been fun, keep theorizing and enjoy Wind and Truth 🫡

Good luck on your mission!

33 minutes ago, Mat said:

I think I forgot you were going to Brasil.

Boa sorte e divirta-se!

42 minutes ago, Mat said:

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Mat said:

👏

Have fun! Save some souls!

I just got my mission call! Check out my SU about it.

On 7/21/2024 at 4:18 PM, Mat said:

I'm late to the Party but Congrats!!! (Yes I know I double posted, maybe a mod can merge my posts.)