Hoid at the assassination

23 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Have we had any word or hints that Hoid is at Gavilar's assassination? I feel like that would be something he would be just chilling at.

I don't think so.  Hoid is never around when Odium could be watching.  Gavilar's assassination seems like the sort of thing that Odium watches(like Szeth's Dalinar assassination attempt).

But has Hoid said he is actively avoiding Odium seeing him? I believe that he would do that, but has Hoid ever said that he is actively avoiding his presence being known by Odium? Especially since he is in his most conspicuous role as Wit, which means he's on the Shattered Plains for a lot of the war even if not in battle. 

39 minutes ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

But has Hoid said he is actively avoiding Odium seeing him?

Yes.  In WoR "If he finds me I become nothing."  Also he mentions in OB that Odium would level a city just for a tiny chance of offing him.

1 hour ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Have we had any word or hints that Hoid is at Gavilar's assassination? I feel like that would be something he would be just chilling at.

Hoid usually doesn't just observe events. He tells stories and listens to stories. He prods and facilitates the actions of important individuals. He tends to appear when the situation is dire, but not critical. And he almost always collects something.

If there is a flashback to these events involving Hoid, I think it's much more likely that he'll be around before or after the action. I can't remember whether it's told when he became Elhokar's Wit.

2 minutes ago, Golstar said:

Hoid usually doesn't just observe events. He tells stories and listens to stories. He prods and facilitates the actions of important individuals. He tends to appear when the situation is dire, but not critical. And he almost always collects something.

This is true for other series but it fits a lot less in Stormlight I think, especially if we consider the times he isn't onscreen. He does those things from time to time in Stormlight but he's not doing that all the time on Roshar even when he's onscreen. Since he's Wit, he's spending a decent amount of time sitting around and insulting people instead of collecting things or telling stories. Though I suppose that six years ago is different and I shouldn't really apply the actions of Hoid as Wit to a time before he was Wit.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me, as far as we know there were four Heralds there that night(Jezrien, Nale, Kalak & Ash, perhaps five if you possibly count Chana. 

I can't imagine he completely ignored that night.

Edited by BrightLordSwageas