What do I need to know to start?

Gray to

Months ago, I started the first Wheel of Time book, got bored, and dropped it. This happens a lot when I start a new series like Way of Kings of Game of Thrones. I just get overwhelmed by all the new names and locations. Could you guys tell me everything I need to know about the world and who the important characters are? No spoilers please. All I remember is a man turning into a mountain in the prologue and some sort of festival in chapter 1.

Are you looking for basic plot points in the beginning of the book or just where you should start in the series?  I LOVE the Wheel of Time, but it's a LOT at first.  Start at the first book (if that's indeed what you're asking), don't read New Spring first, it's just a really long prologue (although interesting once you get into the series).  I'd suggest you go back and read everything again.  I could give you a short catch-up, but due to not knowing where you've read to and that the world is pretty difficult to describe, it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do.  

But the series is worth getting into, you just have to wait until about halfway through the book before stuff gets complex.  Even then, each book in the series gets better and better in my opinion (except for book 7 and 8, but ugh that's a whole different thread).

7 hours ago, Mistbornwithakitty said:

Are you looking for basic plot points in the beginning of the book or just where you should start in the series?  I LOVE the Wheel of Time, but it's a LOT at first.  Start at the first book (if that's indeed what you're asking), don't read New Spring first, it's just a really long prologue (although interesting once you get into the series).  I'd suggest you go back and read everything again.  I could give you a short catch-up, but due to not knowing where you've read to and that the world is pretty difficult to describe, it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do.  

Could you just list some of the important characters I'll meet in the beginning so that I won't spend too much time memorizing side characters who barely show up?

5 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

Rand, Mat, Perrin, Moiraine, Lan, Egwene, Nynaeve, and maaaaaybe Tam

Edit: Also Thom and Padan Fain

Yep!  Those are the main kids you need to memorize and pay attention to.  There are a couple side characters that'll be of importance (Elaine, Gawain, etc), but that's the main group!

i would ignore the prologue if i were you. many fans love it, but i always found it too confusing for a first read. it makes sense after you're past book 3.

you need to pay attention to the characters mentioned. the festival and everything is not particularly important, though if you don't like to dabble a bit into the various cultures of the world, then perhaps you should not get into the wheel of time. as for the larger worldbuilding, it will be unfolded with time.

WoT is a big investment of time & attention. And there are literally hundreds of characters that you kind of need to keep track of, to know what's going on - way beyond what Brandon has in his books, at least that's my opinion at this point.

There is an online WoT encyclopedia (http://www.encyclopaedia-wot.org/) where you can look things up easily, but keep in mind that it is filled with spoilers. It does have plot summaries for each chapter of each book, & you might find that helpful. There are actually a lot of wikis and fan sites, plus Tor had Leigh Butler do a reread (https://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread/) with chapter-by-chapter commentary.

All that being said, if you don't enjoy keeping dozens of characters straight, just know that WoT is not for everybody, and it's no shame to set it aside. HTH.

Edited by Iarwainiel
grammar