The Assassin in White

He died at the end of Words of Radiance. The Herald Nale used a fabrial device to bind his soul back to his body but he was almost too late. His soul isn't perfectly attached to his body any more, it's not in sync, and anyone who can see into the Cognitive or is otherwise sufficiently Invested can see that as an afterimage effect trailing Szeth's physical body.

On 7/27/2020 at 10:42 PM, Honorless said:

anyone who can see into the Cognitive or is otherwise sufficiently Invested can see that as an afterimage effect trailing Szeth's physical body.

So the reason Lift notices this is because she is partially in the CR?

3 minutes ago, Hoid the Drifter said:
On 7/27/2020 at 8:42 PM, Honorless said:

anyone who can see into the Cognitive or is otherwise sufficiently Invested can see that as an afterimage effect trailing Szeth's physical body.

So the reason Lift notices this is because she is partially in the CR?

Maybe someone else can back me up but on this? I believe what Honorless is saying is that Lift is sufficiently Invested to see the trail. Whereas Rock (before he went down the Windrunner path) would be able to see it because he could see into the Cognitive.

4 minutes ago, GudThymes said:

I believe what Honorless is saying is that Lift is sufficiently Invested to see the trail. Whereas Rock (before he went down the Windrunner path) would be able to see it because he could see into the Cognitive.

But Lift is partially in the cognitive, so it sort of does make sense...

But I'm not saying that Honorless is wrong. I'm forming an alternate hypothesis, that's all.

1 minute ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

Yup! Now you know! That was her curse from the Nightwatcher.

hahahaha, what a heck of a curse. Doesn't seem to fit into what I would describe as such. 

Don't mean to be a pest, but do we know for sure that is her curse? Is it possible that her boon is more than just being able to convert calories to investiture and also includes being partially in the Cognitive? Or being partially in the cognitive grants this?

Just now, GudThymes said:

Is it possible that her boon is more than just being able to convert calories to investiture and also includes being partially in the Cognitive? Or being partially in the cognitive grants this?

Her boon is that she doesn't age.

1 minute ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

I dove into the wiki on Lift and found this:

Lift visited the Nightwatcher and received a direct physical connection with Shadesmar, allowing her to physically interact with spren and metabolize food into Investiture.[1] Her curse is unknown at this time.

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

She does indeed age and the plot in Edgedancer is kicked off when she gets an unmistakable sign of it (ie, her first period). Brandon had this to say on the topic:

Brandon Sanderson

So why does Lift have to eat food instead of sucking in Stormlight. So Lift is a really weird one, she visited the Old Magic and asked something very strange. And the Old Magic didn't know how to treat that and answered with something equally strange. So you will eventually see what happened with Lift and things like that but suffice it to say some really weird things are going on with Lift.

Calamity Seattle signing (Feb. 17, 2016)

She asked to 'not change' and assumed that she got her wish and stopped aging, but that's not what she actually got.

Edited by Weltall

4 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

That's what she asked for, but not what she got

3 hours ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

Huh! But she doesn't age, which is weird.

She does. She starts menstruating in Edgedancer.

Yeah, Lift notices it because she's partially in the Cognitive. That's why she can touch Wyndle and how she got inside Dalinar's vision.

As we see with Dalinar, the line between Boon and Bane is indistinct when Cultivation herself gets involved

Edited by Honorless

On 7/30/2020 at 6:48 PM, Weltall said:

She asked to 'not change' and assumed that she got her wish and stopped aging, but that's not what she actually got.

So what happened that made her "not change", meaning, in what way is she static?

1 hour ago, Hoid the Drifter said:

So what happened that made her "not change", meaning, in what way is she static?

Read the WoB I posted; that's what she asked for but the Old Magic didn't really kniw how to interpret that so she actually got something else. We're not sure which part of her affliction is the boon and which the curse, or if (more likely) she's another of Cultivation's 'special' projects and doesn't quite follow the Nightwatcher's rules.. Though I believe Brandon has hinted very heavily that it's the latter, like Dalinar

Edited by Weltall

Aha. I had a theory but I don't know if it's true, that since she is in the cognitive realm her physical body is very much an embodiment of how people view her. Spirits in the CR don't change (at least I don't think). Maybe the Old Magic felt that this was the way to grant such a thing, because it was all the Old Magic could think of. This is probably wrong but I just wanted to put this theory out there.