1 minute ago, Nameless said:

I don't need essays in spanish, yo necesito escribir ensayos en español.

No necesito escribir ensayos en español, por lo que no puedo apreciar realmente el valor de un diccionario.

EDIT: Also, totally not using Google Translate to brush up on my Spanish.

Edited by Knight of Iron

Just now, Nameless said:

Si, yo también hablo inglés. Google Translate is basically just a dictionary that conjugates verbs for you.

A very useful dictionary. Also, any ideas on what I should do for my 200th post? It's coming up shortly and I'm getting anxious continuing this conversation. It's silly, but idk, I'm OCD like that? Also you're 1000th post is coming up as well.

Just now, Knight of Iron said:

A very useful dictionary. Also, any ideas on what I should do for my 200th post? It's coming up shortly and I'm getting anxious continuing this conversation. It's silly, but idk, I'm OCD like that? Also you're 1000th post is coming up as well.

Oh, it is? I have no idea what to.... nevermind, I think I know what I'm going to do. You could make a thread of some kind, post an insane cosmere theory, intentionally miss it in a funny way, post a bunch of memes, or just ignore it completely.

1 minute ago, Nameless said:

Oh, it is? I have no idea what to.... nevermind, I think I know what I'm going to do. You could make a thread of some kind, post an insane cosmere theory, intentionally miss it in a funny way, post a bunch of memes, or just ignore it completely.

Alright, then. I have to log off for tonight, so I'll guess I'll save it for tomorrow.

19 minutes ago, Chasmgoat said:

I am just going to say. English is awful. It was made by a bunch of garden slugs and is made up of chewed gum and scraps of paper. It is awful.

Yes, there's so many instances in the English language where I'm just like WHY?? It's my first language, but I write fantasy for fun sometimes and every once in awhile I run into these weird problems. I use the word "barracks" a lot to describe groups of soldiers, and it frustrates me so much that barracks is both the singular and plural and you can't use barrack. Like I don't want to call a group of soldiers Barracks Eleven, I want to say Barrack Eleven. Also, who the heck decided to spell colonel as colonel. 

2 minutes ago, weiss_kwispies said:

Yes, there's so many instances in the English language where I'm just like WHY?? It's my first language, but I write fantasy for fun sometimes and every once in awhile I run into these weird problems. I use the word "barracks" a lot to describe groups of soldiers, and it frustrates me so much that barracks is both the singular and plural and you can't use barrack. Like I don't want to call a group of soldiers Barracks Eleven, I want to say Barrack Eleven. Also, who the heck decided to spell colonel as colonel. 

I have only heard of a barrack used to describe a building in which soldiers are housed. Also, I have commonly heard of the singular form as "barrack". for example, I am going back to the barrack.

Just now, Chasmgoat said:

I have only heard of a barrack used to describe a building in which soldiers are housed. Also, I have commonly heard of the singular form as "barrack". for example, I am going back to the barrack.

I've heard people use "barrack", but technically if you google it there's tons of weird answers about how to use the word correctly. Honestly I've just given up and try to avoid using that word as much. 

2 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

the oxford dictionary changed the definition of a certain negative word to include Christians, and other dictionaries are doing similar things. I guess it's not the dictionaries that suck, just the people behind them

No, why?

Okay, understandable.

1 hour ago, Knight of Iron said:

*your

1 hour ago, Chasmgoat said:

I am just going to say. English is awful. It was made by a bunch of garden slugs and is made up of chewed gum and scraps of paper. It is awful.

Oh please. You think English was created intentionally? English was the result of mugging other languages in dark alleyways, rifling through their pockets and stealing whatever we happened to find.

42 minutes ago, weiss_kwispies said:

Also, who the heck decided to spell colonel as colonel. 

The French. Well, the Franco-Normans. The real question is why we decided to pronounce colonel as "kernel."

1 hour ago, Nameless said:

Yeah, it is absolutely awful. I'm glad its my first language

Yesss! I've felt this so many times like other languages might be hard to learn but I always hear people complaining about learning English and all the dumb rules. Makes me so glad  I already had it learned lol

16 minutes ago, Condensation said:

*your

Grammar Police back at it again! :P

16 minutes ago, Daggon Forescout said:

Oh please. You think English was created intentionally? English was the result of mugging other languages in dark alleyways, rifling through their pockets and stealing whatever we happened to find.

The French. Well, the Franco-Normans. The real question is why we decided to pronounce colonel as "kernel."

Surprisingly accurate lol. I think stealing and then pretending we invented it because we decided to spell and pronounce it completely stupid as well :D

Yess tru, tru. If you look on Google the earlier spelling in French was "coronel" so I can see "kernel" a tiny bit better from that but who's the genius who decided the R should be swapped for an L? English be mad confuzzling sometimes

2 hours ago, Knight of Iron said:

the oxford dictionary changed the definition of a certain negative word to include Christians, and other dictionaries are doing similar things. I guess it's not the dictionaries that suck, just the people behind them

No, why?

I searched a lot but couldn't find anything about this. Would you mind expanding?

10 minutes ago, The_Truthwatcher said:

I searched a lot but couldn't find anything about this. Would you mind expanding?

It wasn’t announced or anything, but using the internet wayback machine we can see that very recently the Oxford Dictionary on their website changed the word “bigot” from something like “someone who is intolerant of other peoples opinions” to “someone who is unreasonably or obstinately attached to a belief.” And many feel that’s targeting Christians, among others, because to them religion is unreasonable and people who believe in such things are stubborn.