Fused Spears

Karger

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

The metal conducting core I would imagine would have a much smaller diameter than in my diagram, like a 12 Guage wire, and with soulcasting being employed, you could have a small replaceable conducting tip that could screw into the spear head until it makes contact with the meral core, easily replaceable.

True.  The loss of the tip could still be annoying during combat but if you can replace it then it might still make sense to use.

1 hour ago, Innovation said:

Perhaps the gem has many imperfections. The Fabrial drains the Stormlight into the sphere, which dissipates the the Stormlight quickly due to the imperfections in the cut. 

dissipating that stormlight?

My point was there must be some way for that dissipation to work.  Otherwise while annoying the spears would not be super dangerous.  A different cut would be interesting.  I wonder if that is possible.

43 minutes ago, Karger said:

A different cut would be interesting.  I wonder if that is possible.

In Oathbringer the recording gems that the Radiants left behind in Urithiru were described as “not being able to hold a Stormlight charge for long, and will vibrate something fierce.” They were further described as have many twisted cuts and imperfections. My guess is that is what we are seeing here, with these Fabrial spears. 

20 minutes ago, Innovation said:

In Oathbringer the recording gems that the Radiants left behind in Urithiru were described as “not being able to hold a Stormlight charge for long, and will vibrate something fierce.” They were further described as have many twisted cuts and imperfections. My guess is that is what we are seeing here, with these Fabrial spears. 

Hm.  A good deduction.

6 hours ago, Karger said:

That requires the fused to always have more gemstones then the radiants they are killing.

Not really. Standard Spheres - Broams, Marks and Chips can provide Radiant with Stormlight relativly long, and gems inside them are REALLY tiny:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/315/#e10400

If Gem is large enough, can suck Stormlight charge that is equivalent of many broams.

3 hours ago, Bzhydack said:

Not really. Standard Spheres - Broams, Marks and Chips can provide Radiant with Stormlight relativly long, and gems inside them are REALLY tiny:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/315/#e10400

If Gem is large enough, can suck Stormlight charge that is equivalent of many broams.

Assuming a direct acquisition model where the spear's gemstone acquires all the stormlight from the radiant then the fused would have to have a larger carrying capacity then the radiant either by having a gemstone larger then all the combined radiant gemstones or would have to continuously switch out an equal supply.  Either way the spear and gemstones would run out after a single use unless as @Innovation postulated they have a clever way of getting rid of the stormlight.

Edited by Karger

Hmm, I wonder if it's as simple as turning the fabrial dial to a specific point that connects the infused gemstone to the aluminum plating. Like the end of the gem that is next to the dial is fitted with contacts that connect to contacts on the dial when in the proper rotational position, and likewise these contacts connect to contacts connected to the aluminum plates. That was confusing, so here's a diagram.

20200813_174907_resized.thumb.jpg.89e7f9e326b5bc133581757fdc838899.jpg

Like @Karger's analogy of stormlight functioning similarly to electricity, the aluminum could function as an energy sink. We know that Navani and co are using aluminum to shield conjoining and reversing fabrials, and that Azure used aluminum to mask the signature of soulcaster usage, so the field effect of or the Electromagnetic propagation that results from stormlight use is apparently nullified by the aluminum.

Also aluminum's effect in Allomancy seems suggestive of it's role as an energy sink.

Pure speculation, but maybe aluminum is like an earth ground, that by its connection to all investiture, it is merely returning the shielded/absorbed investiture to it shardic fount based on the investiture's spin.

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

Like @Karger's analogy of stormlight functioning similarly to electricity, the aluminum could function as an energy sink. We know that Navani and co are using aluminum to shield conjoining and reversing fabrials, and that Azure used aluminum to mask the signature of soulcaster usage, so the field effect of or the Electromagnetic propagation that results from stormlight use is apparently nullified by the aluminum.

Like magnetic shielding.  That would jive with my theory of aluminum being conductive.

• 1 month later...