Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

6 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr stared at the Sparrow, if an eyeless man could stare.  "Forgiveness is something I would not expect, ask, demand, or deserve.  Redress for my crimes is something I would not force others to bear.  I am a burden, and I would not expect anyone to bear it."

@Fallapede
((Oh geez, they left without Vespyr!  No confrontation or asking or nothing.  And Trace still somehow thinks he's a girl..?))

8 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

She ignored Edgeworth's request.  "Actually, I do have some evidence to present," she stated lightly, calmly noting Edgeworth's attempt to butt in on her time before the judge.  "My client was put under undue stress and physical torture by the soldiers who apprehended him.  In statements taken from survivors of the events there, perpetrated by a mysterious kidnapper in a mask whom Mr. Cruz attempted to stop.  Mr. Cruz calmly entered custody while soldiers eagerly egged him on with the idea of fleeing, so they might take a free shot with their sidearms."  She slid some papers forward, and an attendant took them and placed them on the Judge's desk. "The witness accounts of several survivors of (Insert Lena's Crew Name).  Interestingly enough, the woman Lena offered a deposition as a character witness for the young man."  She slid another document forward, which was taken to the judge's desk once more.  "Now, returning to the topic of my client's mistreatment, I have another deposition from two guards of the prison where they admit to not feeding my client for the days he was in custody, until the point where he fainted from the mistreatment.  On top of that, instead of water, he was only granted a single icicle to suck on, despite requesting nourishment multiple times over the course of his arrest."  She slid forward some more documents, and the attendant shot her an annoyed look as he made the third trip between her desk and the judge's.  "Under certain subsets of the law, the case might be entirely thrown out in the face of this belligerent abuse of power.  Understanding the high-profile nature of this case, I freely admit that dismissing the case isn't an option that can be taken.  However, I ask that the situation of my client's arrest be noted, recorded on the official documentation, and considered throughout this case."

Edgeworth raised his index finger, "your honor, if I may?"

@Negative_Null

Edited by The Ward's Guard

1 hour ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Under certain subsets of the law, the case might be entirely thrown out in the face of this belligerent abuse of power.  Understanding the high-profile nature of this case, I freely admit that dismissing the case isn't an option that can be taken.  However, I ask that the situation of my client's arrest be noted, recorded on the official documentation, and considered throughout this case

"Interesting. Do you wish to make this case as an abuse of due process?"

1 hour ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Edgeworth raised his index finger, "your honor, if I may?"

@Negative_Null

"You may"

49 minutes ago, Negative_Null said:

"Interesting. Do you wish to make this case as an abuse of due process?"

"You may"

Edgeworth nodded to the judge as he stood up, "thank you your honor. I merely wanted to point out that the Doctrine of Terrorist Management applies to this case specifically, since the defendant is being charged with terrorism. As such, 'the treatment of the defendant, no matter how inhumane, can't be used for the dismissal of any case involving a degree of suspicion towards terrorist actions.' I'm sure the defense was simply seconds away from explaining this, but I'd rather be sure that it gets brought up." Edgeworth sat back down, "that is all your honor, until my cross-examination that is."

7 hours ago, The Ward's Guard said:

Edgeworth nodded to the judge as he stood up, "thank you your honor. I merely wanted to point out that the Doctrine of Terrorist Management applies to this case specifically, since the defendant is being charged with terrorism. As such, 'the treatment of the defendant, no matter how inhumane, can't be used for the dismissal of any case involving a degree of suspicion towards terrorist actions.' I'm sure the defense was simply seconds away from explaining this, but I'd rather be sure that it gets brought up." Edgeworth sat back down, "that is all your honor, until my cross-examination that is."

“As a matter of fact, I had mentioned it,” she drawled, annoyed that he was interrupting her to explain something that she already knew about and had already said. “However, in that same article, it specifies that only the treatment of the defendant in an attempt to apprehend, entrap, or subdue, is excusable. And, as I’m sure you’ll remember in the second paragraph of that same law, Mr. Edgeworth, that inhumane treatment of a subdued prisoner is a violation of an officer and soldier’s duty. Our justice system is innocent until proven guilty, Mr. Edgeworth, and do not think me amateur enough to ignore the fact that my client was unduly tortured and neglected with no purpose whatsoever, due to the preconceived prejudice of his captors.” She turned to the judge and bobbed her head once. 

“Yes, Your Honor. I wish to make a case of abuse of due process.”

19 hours ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr stared at the Sparrow, if an eyeless man could stare.  "Forgiveness is something I would not expect, ask, demand, or deserve.  Redress for my crimes is something I would not force others to bear.  I am a burden, and I would not expect anyone to bear it."

"No one can deserve forgiveness. It is a question of the will to give it. As for righting what you have done wrong, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. The only person you are a burden to is you. Are you willing to shoulder that burden, or will you live out your life seeking to avoid it?"

14 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

The ship ride passed quickly. Soon they could see the island appearing on the horizon, and soon after they were off the boat.

Looking around blankly, Maddy realized she had no clue what to do. She turned to Cadenza, Aryanna, and Janice. “Where to?”

"I know a really great place for shopping. I think I remember the way there..."

15 hours ago, Matrim's Dice said:

The ship ride passed quickly. Soon they could see the island appearing on the horizon, and soon after they were off the boat.

Looking around blankly, Maddy realized she had no clue what to do. She turned to Cadenza, Aryanna, and Janice. “Where to?”

"Go to the store, duh."

2 hours ago, Fallapede said:

"No one can deserve forgiveness. It is a question of the will to give it. As for righting what you have done wrong, the only person you have anything to prove to is yourself. The only person you are a burden to is you. Are you willing to shoulder that burden, or will you live out your life seeking to avoid it?"

Vespyr nodded, then turned to address Janice and her friends, bracing himswlf for their condemnation...

Only to find that they had darted onboard the ship while he had been talking to Brother Sparrow, and were somehow already on the horizon. “Doesn’t look like they want to bear me either, Brother Sparrow,” Vespyr said levelly. 

What had he expected, honestly?  What friendship did they owe him for doing one good thing, taking one action. They hadn’t even bothered to learn his name. Rain hadn’t even said goodbye. Their... indifference hurt more than condemnation, somehow, considering the pain he’d endured to save Janice. 

“Why are you here, Sparrow?  In the middle of nowhere, insistant that no harm come to creature or animal...  Why do you care?  And why do I?  Why should I?”

1 minute ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Vespyr jolted, looming at the child, then at the ship in the distance. “Is it too much to hope that you’re considering an education and domestic life?” He asked, certain that he already knew her answer. Doubtless, she assumed he’d rejoin her with her friends shortly. 

2 minutes ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr jolted, looming at the child, then at the ship in the distance. “Is it too much to hope that you’re considering an education and domestic life?” He asked, certain that he already knew her answer. Doubtless, she assumed he’d rejoin her with her friends shortly. 

"I just wanted to give you something before I go."

Just now, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr stood, solid and still, quiet. Somehow, it was still easy to see that he didn’t believe her. “I cannot save you again if we are far apart, and I know of no way for you to contact me if you need me.”

"Friends can always find each other." Janice replied.