Siren's Call: an RP

Negative_Null

4 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Her breathing steadied, and the shaking stopped. Trace's body went limp, and she fell into a deep sleep.

Cruz panted, physically exhausted. He would have liked to fall asleep as well, but he had to stay awake and alert. This was all his fault. Together, they had just seemed so... invincible, that he'd be a fool not to finally try to kill his master. He was wrong about one thing, however. He was a fool.

Edited by Knight of Iron

"Why'd you do it?" Trace demanded.

Janice sat, small, in the corner of Trace's mind. She was hugging her knees up to her chest, head bent down and shoulders squared.

"You don't want to die with me? Is that it?" She stood over Janice's huddled form. "Or you want something in return?"

Janice just shook her head, huddling herself tighter.

"Did you really think I'd let you out?" Trace asked. "Did you think that, by protecting me, I'd give you a chance to fight back?"

25 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Why'd you do it?" Trace demanded.

Janice sat, small, in the corner of Trace's mind. She was hugging her knees up to her chest, head bent down and shoulders squared.

"You don't want to die with me? Is that it?" She stood over Janice's huddled form. "Or you want something in return?"

Janice just shook her head, huddling herself tighter.

"Did you really think I'd let you out?" Trace asked. "Did you think that, by protecting me, I'd give you a chance to fight back?"

Cruz watched Trace as she slept. She certainly didn't seem to be getting very restful sleep.

He thought about what she had said about being some demon trying to kill the girl's body and shivered. He understood needing your own body, but... did she really have to kill an innocent girl? 

1 hour ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

Trace took deep, shaky breaths, trembling in Cruz's arms.

@Knight of Iron

1 hour ago, Knight of Iron said:

Vespyr walked toward the entrance, but paused once it was by their side.  "You should sleep.  Both of you have been injured and expended much energy.  If you are hungry, I have a pack of rations at the back of this cave."  Noticeably, Vespyr had slung a second pack over its shoulder protectively.  "I will keep watch."  The voice sounded less dusty, less cracked now that it had been used a little more, and probably because the creature had taken a drink.  It seemed to be a high-tenor/low-alto, and didn't really help them determine anything about the creature's identity.  Vespyr seemed eager to not be underground, though, taking fast, long strides toward the exit.  "Speak freely.  I will not repeat your conversations.  I am a sword, not an ear."  The words were spoken as if they'd been memorized, like a rote oath.

15 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz watched Trace as she slept. She certainly didn't seem to be getting very restful sleep.

He thought about what she had said about being some demon trying to kill the girl's body and shivered. He understood needing your own body, but... did she really have to kill an innocent girl? 

"Did you think that you'd see that brat again?" Trace asked. "The girl with the ice powers? Did you really think I'd let you run back to her? Just consign myself to an eternity of torment so you could go on and on about friendship and love?"

"Did I hurt you?" Janice snapped.

Trace puased. "What?"

"When I said I hated you," Janice said. Her voice had already fallen from anger to a terrified whisper. "Did I hurt you then?"

8 minutes ago, Bearer of all agonies said:

No, just a bunch of people randomly spamming useless things on quote boxes. And waiting for a group scene so they can join. :P

Partly my fault. I've been busy... :( 

20 hours ago, xinoehp512 said:

"Everyone get on," called Jack.  @Matrim's Dice @Condensation @The Ward's Guard @Negative_Null

"Now," he asked Jay. "Perhaps you could tell me more about this friend of yours that needs helping?"

"Let's get going first. She's... being corrupted. Like, well, you know."

1 hour ago, ProfetessaOscura said:

Vespyr walked toward the entrance, but paused once it was by their side.  "You should sleep.  Both of you have been injured and expended much energy.  If you are hungry, I have a pack of rations at the back of this cave."  Noticeably, Vespyr had slung a second pack over its shoulder protectively.  "I will keep watch."  The voice sounded less dusty, less cracked now that it had been used a little more, and probably because the creature had taken a drink.  It seemed to be a high-tenor/low-alto, and didn't really help them determine anything about the creature's identity.  Vespyr seemed eager to not be underground, though, taking fast, long strides toward the exit.  "Speak freely.  I will not repeat your conversations.  I am a sword, not an ear."  The words were spoken as if they'd been memorized, like a rote oath.

"Did you think that you'd see that brat again?" Trace asked. "The girl with the ice powers? Did you really think I'd let you run back to her? Just consign myself to an eternity of torment so you could go on and on about friendship and love?"

Trace puased. "What?"

"When I said I hated you," Janice said. Her voice had already fallen from anger to a terrified whisper. "Did I hurt you then?"

"Creature, do you have a name?" Cruz inquired, setting Trace down gently in the cave and setting up to sleep himself.

1 minute ago, Negative_Null said:

"In what way? I'll tell you everything you want to know if you help us get Janice back."

The colonel gave Jay a deadly serious glare with eyes that smoldered like embers leftover from a burning blaze. "My objective is to neutralize 'Trace,' or 'Janice,' or whatever you want to call her. 'Preferably alive, but by any means necessary,' those are my orders, and I intend to follow them."

Trace puased. "What?"

"Why does it matter?" Trace glared. "And why would I remember?"

"I don't know why you'd remember, just... please answer me."

"So what if you did? What difference does that make?"

"You've corrupted other people before," Janice said, "haven't you? You've made others into yevon like me."

"Purified," Trace corrected, "and yes. Yes, I have."

"They all hated you. They all hated you like I did." Janice looked at her. "Didn't they?"

"Of course they did. I don't see why that matters."

"It matters..." Janice took a breath. "It matters because nobody should be hated."

10 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Why does it matter?" Trace glared. "And why would I remember?"

"I don't know why you'd remember, just... please answer me."

"So what if you did? What difference does that make?"

"You've corrupted other people before," Janice said, "haven't you? You've made others into yevon like me."

"Purified," Trace corrected, "and yes. Yes, I have."

"They all hated you. They all hated you like I did." Janice looked at her. "Didn't they?"

"Of course they did. I don't see why that matters."

"It matters..." Janice took a breath. "It matters because nobody should be hated."

Cruz looked back down at Trace, still sleeping. She was a monster, a Yevon. He had even killed her kind before, but they hadn't seemed of comparable intellect to Trace.

When he looked at her, for a moment he didn't see the murderous assassin that Trace was. He saw a girl, an innocent girl, who had been unfortunate enough to come across Trace. Who had had a life, love, maybe even friends--all taken from her by Trace. And Trace was going to kill her. The creature they were with seemed interested in her, at least.

But... why was he seeing to her safety? Wasting his precious breath on healing the demon? Deep down, he shouldn't have any sort of liking to her. He should have been repulsed by her, let her die. Maybe even finished her off when he had had the chance. If the girl couldn't have the body, why should Trace?

But he found he did have a liking to her. As obvious as that was to others through his actions, Cruz only realized this now. She wasn't soulless, like she had claimed. She had comforted him, even if only for a moment.

The sudden realization hit Cruz that he actually considered Trace as a friend, and he sat down next to her. Pondering the implications.

1 minute ago, Knight of Iron said:

Cruz looked back down at Trace, still sleeping. She was a monster, a Yevon. He had even killed her kind before, but they hadn't seemed of comparable intellect to Trace.

When he looked at her, for a moment he didn't see the murderous assassin that Trace was. He saw a girl, an innocent girl, who had been unfortunate enough to come across Trace. Who had had a life, love, maybe even friends--all taken from her by Trace. And Trace was going to kill her. The creature they were with seemed interested in her, at least.

But... why was he seeing to her safety? Wasting his precious breath on healing the demon? Deep down, he shouldn't have any sort of liking to her. He should have been repulsed by her, let her die. Maybe even finished her off when he had had the chance. If the girl couldn't have the body, why should Trace?

But he found he did have a liking to her. As obvious as that was to others through his actions, Cruz only realized this now. She wasn't soulless, like she had claimed. She had comforted him, even if only for a moment.

The sudden realization hit Cruz that he actually considered Trace as a friend, and he sat down next to her. Pondering the implications.

"Nobody deserves to be hated..." Trace mused. "You do know how ridiculous you sound, right?"

"I don't want to hurt anybody." Janice said, ignoring Trace's question. "But when I lost myself in anger, I hurt you."

"So?" Trace stood up a little taller. "I steal people's bodies from them. I steal people's lives. If the people I destroy want to hurt me, then I'm not one to argue with them."

"But don't want to hurt you! I don't care if you're horrible, or a murderer or... or just a plain bad person. It doesn't matter who I hurt: only if I hurt them."

"Cruz and I kill criminals and tyrants," Trace replied. "Aren't we justified in removing people who the world would be better off without?"

"The world would be safer without me." Janice said. "Would you be justified in removing me?"

27 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"Nobody deserves to be hated..." Trace mused. "You do know how ridiculous you sound, right?"

"I don't want to hurt anybody." Janice said, ignoring Trace's question. "But when I lost myself in anger, I hurt you."

"So?" Trace stood up a little taller. "I steal people's bodies from them. I steal people's lives. If the people I destroy want to hurt me, then I'm not one to argue with them."

"But don't want to hurt you! I don't care if you're horrible, or a murderer or... or just a plain bad person. It doesn't matter who I hurt: only if I hurt them."

"Cruz and I kill criminals and tyrants," Trace replied. "Aren't we justified in removing people who the world would be better off without?"

"The world would be safer without me." Janice said. "Would you be justified in removing me?"

A friend, Cruz thought. Been a while since I've had one of those.

Ever since his friends had been killed and he had left Lacion Island, he had been alone. Sure, with his charisma and persona, he could have been friends with anyone.

But could he though? He had had trouble making any kinds of true connections after his friends. They couldn't have been as bad as Lena said they were, were they? Even if they were criminals, what was that to her?

Except you claim the right to kill criminals in the name of God himself, yet you would let your friends free. You're a fraud.

23 minutes ago, Knight of Iron said:

A friend, Cruz thought. Been a while since I've had one of those.

Ever since his friends had been killed and he had left Lacion Island, he had been alone. Sure, with his charisma and persona, he could have been friends with anyone.

But could he though? He had had trouble making any kinds of true connections after his friends. They couldn't have been as bad as Lena said they were, were they? Even if they were criminals, what was that to her?

Except you claim the right to kill criminals in the name of God himself, yet you would let your friends free. You're a fraud.

"In case you haven't noticed, Janice, I've been very bent on removing you for quite awhile now."

"Why?" She looked up, turning around to face Trace. "Why do you need to kill me?"

"If your soul cannot be purified and perfected by my Queen," Trace replied, "then you must be destroyed."

"You don't understand, do you?" Janice stood. "I'm imperfect. You're imperfect. Nobody is perfect! It's not something that can be given or attained, because we aren't capable of being perfect! No matter how hard we try, we're never going to succeed. The only thing we can do is try!"

Janice stepped forwards. "That's why I don't want to hurt people, Trace. That's why I'm so weak in your eyes! I've been trying and trying and trying to become perfect, but I can't."

Trace shook her head. "That doesn't make any sense. You say perfection is unachievable, but you try to become it anyways?"

"It's not getting somewhere that makes the journey worth it. It's taking every step, no matter how far away your goal is. If I can't be perfect, then I have to keep trying so I can be the best person I can be." She took Trace's hands in her own. "So I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I hurt you."

Trace shook her head again. "I never said that you hurt me."

"You don't have to." Janice said softly. "I know I did."

35 minutes ago, Channelknight Fadran said:

"In case you haven't noticed, Janice, I've been very bent on removing you for quite awhile now."

"Why?" She looked up, turning around to face Trace. "Why do you need to kill me?"

"If your soul cannot be purified and perfected by my Queen," Trace replied, "then you must be destroyed."

"You don't understand, do you?" Janice stood. "I'm imperfect. You're imperfect. Nobody is perfect! It's not something that can be given or attained, because we aren't capable of being perfect! No matter how hard we try, we're never going to succeed. The only thing we can do is try!"

Janice stepped forwards. "That's why I don't want to hurt people, Trace. That's why I'm so weak in your eyes! I've been trying and trying and trying to become perfect, but I can't."

Trace shook her head. "That doesn't make any sense. You say perfection is unachievable, but you try to become it anyways?"

"It's not getting somewhere that makes the journey worth it. It's taking every step, no matter how far away your goal is. If I can't be perfect, then I have to keep trying so I can be the best person I can be." She took Trace's hands in her own. "So I'm sorry. I'm so sorry that I hurt you."

Trace shook her head again. "I never said that you hurt me."

"You don't have to." Janice said softly. "I know I did."

I'm an idiot, Cruz thought. My friends were criminalsI was just too blinded by their offer of kinship to see it.

And... Lena had warned me. She warned me even before she killed them.