Musical Recommendations

DramaQueen

Do you actually listen to the musicals I recommend?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Do you listen to the musicals I recommend?

12 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

...you like the angsty/dark ones, huh? If you haven't listened to Bare: A Pop Opera, I definitely think you'd love that one.

nah not particularly, but most of my favorites were already on your list so i had to go into my darker phases :P

13 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Edit: how on earth do I not have Beetlejuice, Heathers, Mean Girls, Urinetown, Wicked, or Hadestown on there already wth

THAT'S WHAT IM SAYING!

13 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

I listened to it. Not my favorite, but pretty good

i get it

i only started liking it once i watched it on youtube :]

• 4 months later...

Oh yeah I think I've heard of that one! Haven't had the chance to listen to it, I don't think. If I get the chance, though, I'll definitely check it out!

Also friendly reminder to EVERYONE here to listen to The Clockmaker's Daughter because it's the greatest musical ever created imo.

On 9/3/2020 at 10:09 PM, DramaQueen said:

3: Chicago

In a "Roaring 20s" vibe, compelling story (in the dawn of "News crafts Perception") with abosolutely great music and dance. Unlike the movie version, the stage show (at least the one I saw) had minimal staging and sets; but that only emphasized the performance and choreography. 

32: Phantom of the Opera! Andrew Lloyd Webber is also a genius, despite what my director says, and Phantom gives me chills. Every. Scudding. Time. Get me a guy who can sing All I Ask of You or Music of the Night and I will get over my obsession with Spook. That's a promise.

How can you have Phantom on the list but not Love Never Dies? I get that it's polarizing, but exchange the Paris Opera house for a Coney Island "Attraction" and you have many of the same reasons to love the performance. 

Clown Warning (not actual clowns, but may trigger a clown reaction in some people - like my niece)

44: Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat! A really great show, pretty biblically correct, and there's singing and dancing. Basically all a person could ever want!!

It probably depends on the Tour, but when I saw the Donnie Osmond tour in the 90s, they used local Elementary school choirs for the children that "hear the story" and perform backup vocals. If you can find a touring company like that, it's very worth it. 

59: Wicked! A reimagining of Glinda The Good and The Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz and honestly that whole story, from well before Dorothy arrives in Oz to when she melts the Wicked Witch of the West, it's so beautiful and heartwrenching and the music is incredible.

This is actually a book translated to Stage. Gregory Maguire has done re-imaginings of The Cowardly Lion (A Lion Among Men ), Cinderella's Stepsister (Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister), and more.

-----

For those that enjoy DVD Musicals between trips to the theater. 

19: Guys and Dolls! When you see a guy reach for stars in the sky, you can bet that he's doing it for some doll! When you spot a John waiting out in the rain, chances are he's insane as only a John can be for a Jane. When you meet a gent paying all kinds of rent for a flat that could flatten the Taj Mahal, call it sad, call it funny, but it's better than even money, that the guy's only doing it for some doll! It's really cute and silly and it's an older show, so the songs are super pretty!

The classic movie version (1955) is very much worth the time. Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando (who actually "sings" his own parts - including "Luck be a Lady" - even though they were multiple takes) may not work together well - but the product on screen still plays well.

23: Sweeney Todd! Because why not? It's basically spooky season, right? This musical is pretty dang violent, gruesome, and disgusting. A man  (Sweeney Todd) returns to London after a very long time, his daughter got sent to a mental asylum, a guy falls in love with her, and a woman who owns a meat pie shop falls in love with Sweeney. They end up killing a man, then decide to start killing people in Sweeney's barbershop, send them down a chute to the pie shop, then make pies out of humans. Fun, huh?

For maximum Cognitive Dissonance, watch the Angela Landsbury as Ms. Lovett version (filmed on-tour in LA) back-to-back with any episode of "Murder, She Wrote." There's a reason Dame Landsbury won a Tony for this performance in 1979, and as great as Helena Bonham Carter did with the role - I think this version makes a larger impact because you just don't expect that level of creepy from Jessica Fletcher.

3: Chicago

This also meets the DVD criteria. Renee Zellweger may play Roxie, but it's Queen Latifah and Catherine Zeta Jones that make this version pop. 

On 11/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, Treamayne said:

How can you have Phantom on the list but not Love Never Dies? I get that it's polarizing, but exchange the Paris Opera house for a Coney Island "Attraction" and you have many of the same reasons to love the performance. 

Clown Warning (not actual clowns, but may trigger a clown reaction in some people - like my niece)

I am very much not a fan of the story, and I haven't listened to the music much.

It probably depends on the Tour, but when I saw the Donnie Osmond tour in the 90s, they used local Elementary school choirs for the children that "hear the story" and perform backup vocals. If you can find a touring company like that, it's very worth it. 

The children's chorus is a part of every production of Joseph, and I think it's worth it no matter what lol.

This is actually a book translated to Stage. Gregory Maguire has done re-imaginings of The Cowardly Lion (A Lion Among Men ), Cinderella's Stepsister (Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister), and more.

Oh, cool! I think I might have known that but I didn't remember. There's also a movie coming out soon!

43 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

I am very much not a fan of the story, and I haven't listened to the music much.

Hence my polarizing comment. I've found that when discussing it with friends, it's best to just let them make an informed decision (most people that dislike this do so because of the last 10 minutes - foreshadowed in the opening scene of Phantom).

45 minutes ago, DramaQueen said:

Oh, cool! I think I might have known that but I didn't remember. There's also a movie coming out soon!

The books are wonderful if you are already a fan of Oz. the way he rewove things without actually contradicting or changing Baum's in-story canon. From Wikipedia:

Spoiler

Prior to writing Wicked, Maguire became interested in examining the nature of evil from the perspective of someone considered evil.[1] He noted that while Baum had deliberately avoided using traditional fairy tale characters in writing the original novel, the Wicked Witch of the West was the sole exception, being depicted as the stereotypical "witch in her castle" figure, with wickedness her single defining character trait.[7] The novel raises the question of whether evil is inborn or acquired. Elphaba is a social outcast despite being of noble birth, which makes her question how much power she truly has over her own life.[8]

Wicked is on its face a revisionist parallel novel for The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

While previous authors had accepted the existing moral framework of the Oz stories, Wicked showed affection for the originals while simultaneously questioning everything they stood for. Maguire presents a sympathetic view of a villainous character by detailing her life story and helping the reader understand how "an innocent if rather green and biting child" can become "a still moralistic terrorist."[8] He also transformed the Land of Oz itself, changing what he saw as an insular, parochial world into one where different groups and their political agendas intersect and overlap.[9]