Neon Reads The Wheel of Time

aneonfoxtribute

Seems Egwene got some more visions. One of them is about Mesaana in the Tower still apparently. The one with Rand, I dunno what that's about. It can't be related to the fact that he almost destroyed the world because he just did that. And as for the one with the black towers, I think it's pretty obviously related to the Asha'man somehow, but idk how. There are 13 black towers, which is obviously significant, but I'm not sure what it could mean since Asha'man can't link. I don't know who the towers could represent other than Logain, Taim, and maybe Rand. The falling towers signifies Asha'man dying most likely. The one that falls and rises again is either Logain (because he is promised glory) or Rand. Other than that, I'm not sure what it means

Ayo, Rand and Egwene finally meet again after so long

That talk was interesting. Didn't go how I expected it to

2 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

seems more likely to be the Forsaken. 13 of them total, and by the beginning of Towers of Midnight, only 6 remain alive: Moghedien, Lanfear/Cyndane, Mesaana, Graendal, Ishamael/Moridin, and Demandred.

Ohhh yeah that's fair. That makes sense. I don't remember the numbers of the Forsaken so I forgot that. That makes more sense. I just thought, you know, black towers, Asha'man.

Aes Sedai, for all of their cunning, sometimes seemed to have remarkably underdeveloped senses of self-preservation

The most TRUE thing Gawyn has ever said! I have NEVER seen a group of people seemingly so dedicated to putting themselves in danger for zero reason, always thinking they're immortal until it inevitably bites them in the ass

I'm flip flopping between these murders being done by Mesaana or by the Bloodknives. I'm leaning very heavily to Mesaana, but I think the Bloodknives make sense as well. Biggest issues with the Bloodknives is A. idk how long the murders have been happening for,  B. I don't know why they would go around sneakily killing people when they're doomed to die, I figured they would start a massacre, and C. I don't see why they would have waited so long. But also we haven't addressed them at ALL except for the one dude killed by Bryne, and it's bothering me. And it would make sense that they would kill with knives compared to Mesaana. I think Mesaana makes more sense for a lot of reasons, but the Bloodknives feels like a loose thread that hasn't been tied up. Gawyn's arguments also make it harder to think it's Mesaana, because he's not wrong. Channeling wouldn't be out of the ordinary in the Tower and other Black Ajah murderers used the Power without hesitation, even in places full of Aes Sedai

Looking back, all of the Bloodknives wore black leather, not black silk. I'm flip flopping so much on this. The Bloodknives probably wouldn't know about Warders, or who did and did not have them. So they wouldn't target the ones without them, they'd be killing indiscriminately. But also the idea that they're able to sneak around the Tower without being spotted makes perfect sense, I don't think it's as simple as a Gray Man. I'm probably overthinking this, the simple answer is probably the correct one, it's probably just Mesaana.

Hopefully Galad will put to bed this absurd notion that Two Rivers is full of Darkfriends. The only Whitecloak with sense, I tell you. Not now, obviously, but when they talk to each other.

First Mat chapter in Towers of Midnight, he feels a lot more natural now. I'll need to read more but it feels like Sando realized he went a bit too comic relief with Mat in the last book and is dialing it back

It's wild that Mat has taken to being a leader of men far easier than Perrin has. Perrin is STILL trying to not be a leader, Mat's just accepted it at this point

"I did not come to you tonight to manipulate you into giving me horses. I do be sincere.
"So I figured. That's why I made the offer."

GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH I LOVE MAT!

Also, Teslyn and Silviana, carrying the entire decency of the Red Ajah all alone. 

Alright yeah, this is Mat. Sando got him pretty good this book

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! NYNAEVE JUST HEALED SAIDIN'S MADNESS!

Sanderson stop being good at romance (things I never thought I'd accuse Sanderson of (I'm being unfair, he has very good romances, Steris my beloved). idk if it's just me, but I feel like I enjoyed Perrin/Faile's relationship in this one chapter more than I did in basically any other scene they were together in throughout the entire rest of the series

Learn to channel. That'll be more use than dying. Maybe someday you two can convince Tuon of the truth. Help me find a way to fix this without causing the Empire to collapse

MAT'S DOING SOMETHING AAAAAAAAA! I LOVE HIM! I still think he should have had a talk with Tuon about it BUT THIS IS PROGRESS!

12 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! NYNAEVE JUST HEALED SAIDIN'S MADNESS!

I remember feeling like there was probably some missing setup for this - just one of the things that we missed out on due to Jordan's death. when she healed Logain's stilling, she had spent chapters building to it. we knew it was something she was studying and trying. this one just shows up the first time we see her attempt it.

1 minute ago, Dunkum said:

I remember feeling like there was probably some missing setup for this - just one of the things that we missed out on due to Jordan's death. when she healed Logain's stilling, she had spent chapters building to it. we knew it was something she was studying and trying. this one just shows up the first time we see her attempt it.

That's fair, she just sort of gained the ability to see the corruption out of nowhere. But at the same time, I believe it, she's getting better at Healing, she's like the best Healer in the world and her skill could have just advanced enough to see maladies of the mind, which would have been progressed due to her learning about how to break Compulsion (and also likely Rand's ta'veren presence). From there, all she had to do was Delve into someone afflicted with madness on a whim and then try some stuff. 

3 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

That's fair, she just sort of gained the ability to see the corruption out of nowhere. But at the same time, I believe it, she's getting better at Healing, she's like the best Healer in the world and her skill could have just advanced enough to see maladies of the mind, which would have been progressed due to her learning about how to break Compulsion (and also likely Rand's ta'veren presence). From there, all she had to do was Delve into someone afflicted with madness on a whim and then try some stuff. 

yea, it's not an unreasonable place for her to go, I just would have liked to have seen a bit more of the steps leading there. and again, I suspect we would have, if Jordan could have completed the whole thing, but it feels to me like something that was probably missing from transition notes or whatever and ended up being missed. it's not a huge gripe, and I put it down more to the whole process of trying to have one author finish another's work - some things are going to be missed.

God Aes Sedai tests are awful, one and all. First you're made to live through AU lives that are specifically designed to keep you trapped there to become Accepted, and then to become Aes Sedai you have to be taught to ignore the pain and suffering of everyone around you to do the thing. No wonder they all suck.

Okay so that was specifically very abnormal. That isn't what most people go through. Good.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! TRAGEDY OF TRAGEDIES! NYNAEVE'S BRAID IS GONE, SHE CAN'T TUG IT ANYMORE!

Okay it seems that the assassin was indeed the Blood Knives, instead of Mesaana

How in the hell has the Prince of Ravens thing ALREADY spread?!

Wow, Noal knows what it's like to be known in every tavern and every city. Immediately after mentioning Jain Farstrider. Nope, definitely different people, for sure.

Why do I have a very bad feeling. Mat going to Birgitte because she knows how to get into Ghenjei. Someone trying to sneak into the Palace, possibly Mat but maybe someone else. Birgitte carrying a sword. The title of the chapter, The End of a Legend. Birgitte reminiscing on her past lives as much as she is. Why do I feel like Birgitte isn't long for this world.

Okay she's fine. Good.

Perrin is currently witnessing Veins of Gold. Based

That chapter hit hard. Almost as hard as the original chapter

I'm sure Mat's dice are rolling also because he's nearing Veins of Gold, and something's gonna happen to make him aware of that as well. That might be this next chapter.

Brandon you cheeky so and so. Mat goes to an inn called the Dusty Wheel, whose proprietor is a guy named Hatch. I see you Brandon. I see what you're doing

THE GHOLAM IS GONE! That was so raw

"He could have sworn he'd seen a patch of bare sky out the window"

THE DRAGON REBORN COMES!

Okay NOW Gawyn has done the big dumb. Learned exactly what was happening, and then instead of going back and telling Egwene, getting angry at a poorly timed letter telling him to come back

Time for the Ace Attorney chapter (and yes I am playing AA music)

The POV switched from Faile to Perrin to Faile with zero breaks in between them. That threw me off a bit lmao

GALAD STOP BEING SO COOL! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE COOL!

PERRIN WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING WHY ARE YOU TAKING THE PILLAR TO THE WHITE TOWER! THAT WILL END BADLY IN EVERY WAY DON'T YOU KNOW PEOPLE ARE TRAVELING THERE YOU COULD DO A LOT OF DAMAGE

Okay Gawyn, at least you got over your dumb stupid problems on the same day and decided to go back. That's fine, you get a pass

OH MY GOD GAWYN ACTUALLY GOT THROUGH, I WAS SO SURE HE WOULDN'T! I THOUGHT FOR SURE HE'D BE STUCK IN CAEMLYN, BUT HE JUST BARELY MADE IT

PERRIN YOU IDIOOOOOOOOOOOT WHY DID YOU GO TO THE TOWER THAT WAS THE WORST PLACE IMAGINABLE

(also unrelated, how the HELL has Mat not entered the Tower of Ghenjei we are almost 600 pages in)

PERRIN MET EGWENE POG

BRO DID PERRIN JUST STOP BALEFIRE THAT WAS SO RAW

GAWYN GOT 'EM BASED

I don't believe Nicola is dead, that was probably a fake

AAAAAAAA MESAANA YOU SNEAKY DEVIL, YOU MADE KATERINE LOOK LIKE YOU THEN COLLARED EGWENE, THIS WILL NOT STAND!

And then Egwene broke Mesaana, based af

PERRIN THREW THE RING INTO MOUNT DOOM, wait something about that isn't right

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOPPER'S DEAD FOR REAL THIS TIME

That whole battle was so raw

8 hours ago, aneonfoxtribute said:

BRO DID PERRIN JUST STOP BALEFIRE THAT WAS SO RAW

I loved that scene. Egwene has basically been queen of the dream (well, among the main characters anyway) for a while, but here comes Perrin just casually showing her up. Don't get me wrong, I think she's probably still better at it overall, but in this case her Aes Sedai training is a hinderance. Perrin doesn't know or care what balefire is and can stop it the same as anything else. Egwene does know what t is and thus has more trouble because she recognizes the power of it.

side note: I'm sad we didn't get more Perrin/Egwene dream world interactions before this.

What in the good god damn was that. What in the hell is Nakomi?!?! That was god damn weird

Perrin now has a Power-wrought hammer. I assumed a Power-wrought weapon was just a weapon created directly with the Power, not a weapon created by using specific weaves on the metal to make it stronger

PERRIN AND GALAD FIGHTING TOGETHER LET'S GO! BYAR I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU TRY AND MESS THIS UP

"I deem, as punishment, that you pay blood price to the families of the dead Children in the amount of 500 crowns. I also order you to fight in the Last Battle with all of the strength you can muster. DO these things, and I pronounce you cleansed of guilt"

GALAD STOP BEING BASED

YEAH GO DIE IN A FIRE BYAR! YOU SUCK! BORNHALD MVP!

YEEEEEEEAH PERRIN AND MAT MET BACK UP! It wasn't very long but GOD it's good to see two of the Boys back together again.