Greetings!

Sleepspren

I've been lurking around for a couple years at least. I just finished Dawnshard and really wanted to hop in on the discussions, which made me realize that I actually haven't made an account yet. So here I am! I'm not really sure what to say in an introduction, but here goes: I have read most of Mr. Sanderson's books (still have to pick up Alcatraz and a few of the novelettes). My favorite character is easily Shallan. I have also been really itching for a chapter or an interlude from a Highspren's viewpoint, but I can imagine that can cause quite a few complications (varying levels of sentience and recollection, the factors that determine their personalities/way of thinking which seems to be both individual and varying by Spren type, etc..).

Really happy to be here!

18 minutes ago, Sleepspren said:

I've been lurking around for a couple years at least. I just finished Dawnshard and really wanted to hop in on the discussions, which made me realize that I actually haven't made an account yet. So here I am! I'm not really sure what to say in an introduction, but here goes: I have read most of Mr. Sanderson's books (still have to pick up Alcatraz and a few of the novelettes). My favorite character is easily Shallan. I have also been really itching for a chapter or an interlude from a Highspren's viewpoint, but I can imagine that can cause quite a few complications (varying levels of sentience and recollection, the factors that determine their personalities/way of thinking which seems to be both individual and varying by Spren type, etc..).

Really happy to be here!

Hello, and welcome to the 17th Shard! Very different from the Seventeeth Shard, the worldhopping group, because they don't even provide you means to travel to anywhere, here. I didn't know that before I joined. It's kind of a ripoff.

We're happy to see you here! How come Shallan is your favorite?

1 minute ago, Knight of Iron said:

Hello, and welcome to the 17th Shard! Very different from the Seventeeth Shard, the worldhopping group, because they don't even provide you means to travel to anywhere, here. I didn't know that before I joined. It's kind of a ripoff.

We're happy to see you here! How come Shallan is your favorite?

Thank you! I think it's a combination of her wit, appearance, and how deeply I felt I related to her when reading WoR.  Lopen, Hoid, Syl, and Pattern would also rank pretty highly if I were to make a top 10 characters from Stormlight list. They're the "type" of characters I really love from Mr. Sanderson's books (M-Bot would also be on that list if I were to expand it beyond Stormlight and the Cosmere). So she was already one of my favorites after WoK, her development in WoR and Oathbringer is what pushed her to the top of that list for me.

5 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Welcome to the Shard! Are you keeping up with the Rhythm of War preview chapters? Have you taken the official Knights Radiant quiz, what Order did you get? 

Yes! They're why I started looking forward to Tuesdays. I think I'll honestly miss having them every week. I got Truthwatchers in the quiz, I was quite pleased because it's the order I thought I'd fit in best.

2 hours ago, Sleepspren said:

Really happy to be here!

Greetings! If you were to have another character other than Shallan have that multiple personality thing, which character would be the most amusing?

7 minutes ago, Koloss17 said:

Greetings! If you were to have another character other than Shallan have that multiple personality thing, which character would be the most amusing?

Not Stormlight, but it might be interesting on one of the Returned. Warbreaker spoilers:

Spoiler

I imagine the Returned's body would literally change as they switch personalities, according to how each each personality perceives itself. Like how Vasher's physical appearance changed when he approached Suseborn.

48 minutes ago, Sleepspren said:

Yes! They're why I started looking forward to Tuesdays. I think I'll honestly miss having them every week. I got Truthwatchers in the quiz, I was quite pleased because it's the order I thought I'd fit in best.

Great! Look forward to seeing your thoughts on next Tuesday's chapter! (I really don't understand how someone could not view the preview chapters). Also fellow Truthwatcher here! 

27 minutes ago, Honorless said:

Great! Look forward to seeing your thoughts on next Tuesday's chapter! (I really don't understand how someone could not view the preview chapters). Also fellow Truthwatcher here! 

Thank you, I'll make sure to be there! I hope Truthwatchers get more screen time in RoW, the descriptions of our order are really cool :c

A couple years lurking?!? Man are we ever so glad you finally decided to make an account then! It is the perfect time to join in with Dawnshard and RoW coming out! :D

Ok I always gotta do it you have to check out Alcatraz when you get a chance. Complete different tone from SA and they are totally hilarious they are definitely worth the shot! You're so right a chapter from a Highsprens or really any other sprens pov would be super interesting! It would definitely have complications but that would be cool to see how they think of things similarly or differently.

If Shallan could either swap consciousness with Kaladin or swap bodies with a goat (and still be able to talk ig :P) which would make the best combo? Happy to have you join us!

On 11/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, Honorless said:

Some people have far more willpower than we. Of course, why they would even decide to wait in the first place is beyond me. I wonder if there are any trends regarding which radiant orders are more likely to have already viewed the preview chapters

On 11/9/2020 at 0:12 AM, Mist said:

Welcome to the Shard! Which type of Misting would you want to be? What about Ferring?

Honestly, It's been years since I read any of the Mistborn books, but I plan to reread both eras and the novellas somewhere around the start of the next year. I had to refresh my knowledge about they types of Allomancy and Feruchemy to answer this properly. At the moment, I'd want to be a gold misting or a zinc ferring. I think I would quite like to know the kind of person I could have been, for better or worse. As for zinc, storing mental speed would be almost like having Taravangian's slow/smart days. Except I'd get to pick which days are slow and which are smart. How could I not pick that.

On 11/9/2020 at 11:57 AM, Scout_Fox said:

A couple years lurking?!? Man are we ever so glad you finally decided to make an account then! It is the perfect time to join in with Dawnshard and RoW coming out! :D

Ok I always gotta do it you have to check out Alcatraz when you get a chance. Complete different tone from SA and they are totally hilarious they are definitely worth the shot! You're so right a chapter from a Highsprens or really any other sprens pov would be super interesting! It would definitely have complications but that would be cool to see how they think of things similarly or differently.

If Shallan could either swap consciousness with Kaladin or swap bodies with a goat (and still be able to talk ig :P) which would make the best combo? Happy to have you join us!

It's quite reassuring to read such high opinion of Alcatraz, I was rather unsure of how I'd find it so I always kept picking other books over it. I'll definitely stop pushing it to the bottom of my reading list now! Shallan swapping bodies with Kaladin would easily be the more interesting of the two, just so we can have some kind of canon Adolin x Kaladin ship material. Although I'm not sure which would be funnier, Adolin flirting with Shallan in Kaladin's body or with Kaladin in Shallan's body.