THEY WERE AONS

Aspiring Writer

The symbols, they were Aons! The ones on the temple that they needed to press to 'find' the bands! I always wondered what the hell that was, and the only explanation is Aons! Kelsier has encountered Elantrains and through some means learned a bit of it. The way they're described is very reminiscent of Aons! The only thing that makes me hesitant is how Kelsier learned any Aons, but he was very keen about learning things about the Cosmere. Maybe he asked some worldhoppers? What do you all think?!

21 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

The symbols, they were Aons! The ones on the temple that they needed to press to 'find' the bands! I always wondered what the hell that was, and the only explanation is Aons! Kelsier has encountered Elantrains and through some means learned a bit of it. The way they're described is very reminiscent of Aons! The only thing that makes me hesitant is how Kelsier learned any Aons, but he was very keen about learning things about the Cosmere. Maybe he asked some worldhoppers? What do you all think?!

... It's been a while since I read BoM... What symbols?

47 minutes ago, Aspiring Writer said:

Well, the IRE was selish, so maybe he got them there. Nice catch!

Just now, Invocation said:

When they were going into the final section of the Sovereign's Temple, there was a passcode made of pressing symbols. Suit said it was "something (The Lord Ruler) would have understood."

okay, thank you.

7 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I don’t quite remember the descriptions, but I’ll take your word that they’re similar enough.

If they are, what does that entail? Kelsier wouldn’t have written those for no reason. He loved secrets, after all. Could it be that these symbols actually tap the Dor to power the temple? He could have convinced  the Ire to write the symbols and pull that power line right on top of the temple. Or am I going way too far on a red herring?

34 minutes ago, Truthwatcher Artifabrian said:

I don’t quite remember the descriptions, but I’ll take your word that they’re similar enough.

If they are, what does that entail? Kelsier wouldn’t have written those for no reason. He loved secrets, after all. Could it be that these symbols actually tap the Dor to power the temple? He could have convinced  the Ire to write the symbols and pull that power line right on top of the temple. Or am I going way too far on a red herring?

I don't think the Dor is being used here. It might be just a sign of Kelsier's expanding knowledge or perhaps is working with people with that knowledge.

While we don't know what all of the Aons look like, none of them that we've seen look triangular despite this being the only description given for any of the symbols pushed to open the door (aside from that they're all engraved inside circles) so if Brandon wanted to hint to readers that they were Aons you'd think he would have been a bit more obvious about it. For all we know, the symbols were just random shapes that Kelsier came up with to go with an equally random combination to temple leading to multiple fake chambers for fake Bands, since the whole thing was an elaborate waste of time. It would be perfectly in character for Kelsier to hide his fake secret with an equally fake 'message'.

That said, the only WoB we have on the subject is of course a RAFO, with a comment added that the questioner also said they mentioned to Brandon that the symbols don't look like Aons to them, and Brandon didn't react. So that doesn't really tell us anything one way or the other.

Edited by Weltall