High-speed listening

Swimmingly

I recently got an app that had the option to listen to audio books at high speed, and I tried it out with Mistborn. I've got to say, it's incredible the speed at which the brain processes information; I can make out every word still at 2.3x speed. If you like audiobooks and time as well, this is a good compromise that can cut the listening time in half or better. Maybe it's not as fast as reading, but you can't drive, bike, etc while reading either.

My husband loves this feature. Both of us read text faster than the narrators speak. He prefers to double the pace. I tend to listen a little more leisurely. I like to really imagine stuff. I think of the sentence structure and the words being crafted, almost like how a sculptor physically adjusts his base material. Once in a while I hear a sentence that just blows my mind for the way it was constructed. 

But you're so right: If you listen to it faster, soon your brain catches right up and it seems "normal" to your ear. It's really given us a lot to think about in terms of the various ways our brains process information. 

I'm glad you have a way to maximize your time. I do love audiobooks for allowing me to get out of my chair. For me, Sit + Read + Eat = Big Book Butt  :lol:

• Chaos locked this topic