Stormlight Livestream 12/17 Takeaways

spitfireky

So I don't have everything organized enough to make a full post but my major takeaways from the stream (spoilers for RoW & other cosmere books below):

1. Nightblood is not a Dawnshard.

2. The man with the red Aviar that was killed was a Feruchemist keeping watch over Dalinar.

3. Broken Radiant oaths before the Recreance didn't result in deadeyes.

4. Renarin has a tentative crush on Rlain (thanks to Adam for confirming!)

5. Historically there's never been more than three Bondsmiths at one time. He didn't say anything about the Bondsmiths being specifically bonded to the Stormfather, Nightwatcher, and Sibling, so there could've been other sentient spren that bonded (Ba-Ado-Mishram...maybe?).

6. There's something significant about how Tien's wooden horse and Wit's flute got to the shop at the end of RoW, but that isn't necessarily connected to the owner of said shop.

and... (MB spoilers)

Spoiler

Kelsier has basically been confirmed as Thaidakar. I'm paraphrasing what Brandon said but it was something along the lines of "we've seen the lengths [Thaidakar] has gone to achieve his goals in past books." He also said that Thaidakar & Mraize are somewhat neutral when it comes to the ethics of harvesting easily transportable Investiture. 

I'm so happy that he did this! This was my first Sanderson livestream & it was fun to see everyone's questions.

Edited by spitfireky
clarification

He also implied that the Nightwatcher (or Cultivation?) accepts the oaths for Cultivationspren, not Stormfather. This isn't surprising perse, but raises further questions: does Sja-Anat accept Renarin's oaths? 

The point about seons v spren was interesting in that the Elantrian splinters are seen as anomalous on the issue of going off world whereas this issue is otherwise somewhat uniform across world. There is a gap there, then, in that Nalthis is not anomalous and therefore whatever Vasher does can likely be transferred to Kelsier, the Heralds, the Fused, and spren. We also have not necessarily seen the 17th Shard (notably there are no Rosharan members) or any other worldhoppers achieve it if the Elantrian example is distinct. It's not the biggest scrap of info, but something.

He also mentioned that what happens with the deadeyes is similar to something we've seen in other books and I'm not sure what could he be refering to. (Minor non stormlight spider head).

Spoiler

Maybe the Shaod on elantris? It's the only thing that is vaguely similar for me :S

Also he said that we've seen a similar thing to odium erasing some of wit's breaths which I am pretty sure is shown in Warbreaker.

Spoiler

I'm thinking it's the same thing Vasher did to the little girl to erase her trauma. 

Edited by caarlos

3 hours ago, caarlos said:

He also mentioned that what happens with the deadeyes is similar to something we've seen in other books and I'm not sure what could he be refering to. (Minor non stormlight spider head).

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe the Shaod on elantris? It's the only thing that is vaguely similar for me :S

I came to the same conclusion. Their connection to Ba-Ado-Mishram was likely severed due to their trappedness, which is like the Shaod. Technically, it is like what happens to saons when their human gets the Shaod, but yeah.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:15 AM, caarlos said:

Hide contents

Edited by i’m in the details
Edit: for some reason it wouldn’t allow me to add text. But I was thinking deadeyes could be related in some way to the Shades on Threnody. Given the seemingly lower speech capabilities, but still possessing intelligence. Like the Shade grandmother.

On 18.12.2020 at 11:32 AM, Proletariat said:

He also implied that the Nightwatcher (or Cultivation?) accepts the oaths for Cultivationspren, not Stormfather. This isn't surprising perse, but raises further questions: does Sja-Anat accept Renarin's oaths?

Does Renarin swear oaths? Is that the true reason they feared her, that she breaks Ishar's limitations?

3 hours ago, Oltux72 said:

Does Renarin swear oaths? Is that the true reason they feared her, that she breaks Ishar's limitations?

Renarin does swear oaths, but they're different from the traditional Truthwatcher oaths.

Questioner

Because of Glys' corrupted nature as a spren of Sja-anat, does that mean that Renarin's swearing different Ideals than the mainstream Truthwatcher ideals?

Brandon Sanderson

Um... I'll RAFO that for now. But there will definitely be some differences.

Skyward Seattle signing (Nov. 10, 2018)

19 hours ago, LuckyJim said:

Questioner

Because of Glys' corrupted nature as a spren of Sja-anat, does that mean that Renarin's swearing different Ideals than the mainstream Truthwatcher ideals?

Brandon Sanderson

Um... I'll RAFO that for now. But there will definitely be some differences.

I don't see how this definitively proves he swears oaths. This answer could definitely make sense if Renarin doesn't swear

On 12/17/2020 at 7:21 PM, spitfireky said:

6. There's something significant about how Tien's wooden horse and Wit's flute got to the shop at the end of RoW, but that isn't necessarily connected to the owner of said shop.

My mini theory on this is that one of the Sleepless is just being nice. Maybe Arclo?

1 hour ago, Stormtide_Leviathan said:

I don't see how this definitively proves he swears oaths. This answer could definitely make sense if Renarin doesn't swear

It could, but I think "some differences" implies smaller differences than completely abandoning oaths altogether. Granted, that is entirely my own assumption.