Elend Venture

Aspiring Writer

Do you like Elend Venture?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Elend Venture's character?

• Yes
    • No
    • Neutral/undecided

I am making this topic partly out of love and respect for the character and partly out of salt of someone not liking him because he's (Elend) privileged and refusing to debate me, leaving me with that feeling of a lot to say but nowhere to vent. So this is in part for my own catharsis and so anyone who has any opinions on this character can list them down below and have a discussion, because what's better than discussing whether a character is good? (Writing one, but that's not for everyone.)

Edited by Aspiring Writer

3 hours ago, Aspiring Writer said:

I am making this topic partly out of love and respect for the character and partly out of salt of someone not liking him because he's privileged and refusing to debate me, leaving me with that feeling of a lot to say but nowhere to vent. So this is in part for my own catharsis and so anyone who has any opinions on this character can list them down below and have a discussion, because what's better than discussing whether a character is good? (Writing one, but that's not for everyone.)

I don’t see how a person being privileged has anything to do with not wanting to debate you... That’s a problem with the person, not their origins.

And Elend is awesome.

So mistborn is all about arcs. More so than Brando’s other books. And Elend’s arc was wonderful. He began as a nieve sheltered Noble that was aspiring to be a revelutionary, but really couldn’t. WoA makes him grow from a nieve idealistic king that sees the best in everyone to a Still very optimistic ruler that learns how to be a king and a true leader.

HoA broke him. He had one great quality; his optimism and seeing the best in people. In HoA, he had to give up that to be an emporor. He did that to save all of Scadrial, but in doing so, he lost Elend. In his biggest, truest moment, he gave up himself to help others. That signifies that he grew out of that nieve little Noble that read books at balls (though he still did that), he was now a life-hardened ruler that had seen the worst of the world, and that broke him. It is one of the best arcs in the whole of the mistborn series, in my opinion.

Yes, Elend's character arc is beautifully done. My only complaints would be that we didn't get more of him in TFE and we never saw him overcome the trauma what his father forced him to do at 13 with the skaa sex worker. I'm guessing that was dealt with off page just as Vin's fears and trauma likely were.

8 hours ago, Kingsdaughter613 said:

I don’t see how a person being privileged has anything to do with not wanting to debate you... That’s a problem with the person, not their origins.

And Elend is awesome.

Sorry, he said Elend is privileged and that's why he doesn't like him and refused to let me rant about there is more to his character.

I really like Elena. He is my most favourite character in mistborn tied with Vin of course. There is some thing very likeable about him, he is idealistic do- gooder! Reads books at social gatherings, I mean who can (or not) relate to that! 

Loved his struggle in WoA, loved that he would stand up for Vin in ways that he would not for himself!! 

And loved the mistborn warrior emperor world saviour Elend too! Especially book 3 Elend, where at times it is easy to forget that Elend is a scholar, I love those moments equally where we get a glimpse of geek Elend and where we see the emperor Elend. 

It is very very sad to me, that he never got to be the emperor, he never got to be the leader and he never got the time to make the changes that he wanted to make in the political system. 
I think Scadrial Society of today,  would have been very different from what it is today. 
So yes I think he has a wonderful character arc. 

I always liked him. I had doubts about his motives in FE, (that's Final Empire, not a capitalized abbreviation for iron.) but as soon as he gave her that handkerchief I was Vin & Elend 100%.

That's really all I have to say about his personality.

• 3 weeks later...