Chinkoln

The 17th Shard has been a website for about 10 years, give or take. A month or two ago, we reached 1,000,000 posts. This was a huge occasion and people celebrated. We have almost posted 100,000 more posts since that time. Has the Shard suddenly become more popular? Was it the release of RoW that brought people to the site? Why has the activity increased so much, and how do we keep the activity so high?

Post count always increases in the preview period for a new Stormlight book. This fades away, though. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it is just the natural flow of how having a website about an author goes. When there's new stuff, lots more people are come. 

Much of the posts these days are driven less from book discussion, though, and more forum games and RP things. Rhythm of War's release was not significantly higher than, say, October. I'd say forum usage on book discussion was a bit disappointing, but not terribly surprising. Discord has replaced a lot of people's forum use, including mine.

Well, I just joined (post-RoW) because my wife is getting tired me talking about nothing but the Cosmere and I needed another outlet.

21 hours ago, Chaos said:

Discord has replaced a lot of people's forum use, including mine.

Does this mean people actually talk with their mouths instead of typing?  Ugh, no thank you.

1 hour ago, Knight of Iron said:

And roleplays do count to your post count. My post count was at a steady 200 when I was solely into book discussion; i joined a few roleplays and now look where I'm at in a fraction of the time.

Yes, that is correct. Forum games is the exception.