Chatbox is an abomination.

I mean.... it is. I would be willing to bet hard cash that the nearly incoherent roleplay in the chat is all one person. It's effectively useless as a chat box now. If it were funny or clever or..... it's just bad. Does it do any harm to require people to use their profile names?

Considering it rarely got used since the IRC Chat became an option, I don't really feel we've lost anything, because it was basically dead anyway. I don't really see the big deal.

The Current 'Spook' who is the main Chatter is all the same person I think. But ussually there's several different People Messing around in there. It all good Fun. Though Ashiok's Posts are getting annoying.

EDIT: Nevermind. Someone else posted those. Sorry Ashiok.

Edited by Hello. My name is Joe

If you hover your mouse on top of the word 'Chatbox', a small x will appear to the right. Click that x, and the chatbox will disappear, and stay disappeared until you unclick it. You can do this with any element in the sidebar, or any major forum category. You can also do it for sigs that bother you.

Edited by Tempus

I've noticed many things in the chatbox before that have been very useful. People clearing up events and news or asking a question that doesn't really warrant a post but asks about something that you wouldn't know unless you were following a post regularly. So, @Chaos, it's ok with me if it is dead now, if that is what you consider it, but I found it useful enough to check every day, so you tell me. But that's all alright now because @Tempus pointed out that there is a way to get rid of it! Never noticed and won't hesitate to wipe it from my field of view because I don't think I was being harsh when I called it an abomination, unfunny, or unclever. If that's your standard for humor or wit.... it's all yours!

I would just like to note how useful the chatbox has been the past few days and you were totally overreacting. These things correct themselves, as always. :P

I'd like to point out nearly the opposite conclusion! This past week has been really refreshing after a month of obnoxious, half-witted role play banter! Looks great! Informative, and with a helpful message the community can see at the front of the forums! Go work on the Coppermind wiki; not go stop the waffle king or whatever. Much better message that legitimizes both this site and the Coppermind where the other conversation..... If I was just being introduced to the community and I came to the site and saw that.... I would probably pass. The problem was that things weren't correcting themselves fast enough, I guess. Glad they did though. I'll just have to re-close the chat box now and then I suppose - it's your site. 

I still don't see a reason not to have people logged in in order to post on the chat box. For the same reason you have to log in to post on the forums. It keeps things decent and prevents stuff like what we saw recently. There is also really no gain to letting people choose who they chat as other than mindless chat roleplay like that. I'm not trying to be a fun-sucker, I'm just saying there are plenty of ways to role play and have that conversation where it isn't interrupting people's real conversation or letting anyone have the ability to post under someone else's name. 

Edited by Bloodfalcon

The chatbox is actually a system entirely independent from the site which means we couldn't use the same logon information if we wanted to, and makes moderation tricky.

The chatbox is actually a system entirely independent from the site which means we couldn't use the same logon information if we wanted to, and makes moderation tricky.

Did not know that. Well understood then. Kind of being taken advantage of but you are right - worth having for the good times at least once the crumby stuff settles.

If it was linked with the main site, then obviously the logon would be a good idea. However there are times where it is useful for guests to use it. For this reason and others, I haven't liked IPB mods for chatboxes or shoutboxes. This one is just here for if people want to use it as it is simplest.

If it was linked with the main site, then obviously the logon would be a good idea. However there are times where it is useful for guests to use it. For this reason and others, I haven't liked IPB mods for chatboxes or shoutboxes. This one is just here for if people want to use it as it is simplest.

I can see that. People got pretty simple, pretty fast.

I can see that. People got pretty simple, pretty fast.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that comment... If it was meant to insult everyone in the chatbox who you didn't like, I'd ask you to cut the sass down a few notches. This is not a big deal. Be polite.

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to take that comment... If it was meant to insult everyone in the chatbox who you didn't like, I'd ask you to cut the sass down a few notches. This is not a big deal. Be polite.

I consider the impersonation of others (and to a lesser extent the content) to show a lack of respect to the site and the members themselves. Chaos, I hold you in high regard as a moderator that takes the content quality of the site very seriously, so it left me a bit irked when it felt like you were disregarding this so easily as something that "fixed itself. :P " But you are right - that was a pot shot and I know it, and I'm disappointed in myself for stooping. 

It's regrettable when another person's joy comes at the cost of something that you enjoy when the two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I'm not enthusiastic about where certain things are headed, but I'll make an active effort to not come between another person and their enjoyment again.

But that is coming from a less tired, and frankly less caring Bloodfalcon this morning. I'll gladly sacrifice my chatbox, as our hero Al'Lan Mandragoran would do, for the enjoyment of others. As a Site Issue, you can consider this resolved by me permanently resigning my chatbox.