Raysium and the Heralds

KSub

In RoW we got to see Raysium, the solid manifestation of Odiums power. But not just a glimpse. Raboniel teaches a class in Introductory Applications of Raysium for us.

It conducts investiture, similar to how a normal metal would conduct electricity, except that it appears to only move in one direction.

We've seen the Shanay-im fighting windrunners with spears tipped with Raysium. It draws off the windrunners stormlight so that they can be killed. And Moash used a Raysium dagger to kill Jezrien.

He stabbed Jezrien, transferring his soul into a gem. This severed his connection to the oathpact,  and just as stormlight leaks from a gem so too did Jezriens essence.

So my question is why didn't this happen sooner?

The fused had access to Raysium. They had weapons made from it. We've seen the fused kill Radiants with it. Did the other Heralds simply retrieve their trapped ally? Not likely because as soon as Jezrien is hit it severs his connection to the oathpact. Could they not land a single strike on a Herald? Kaladin fights several fused at the same time and we got to see Ishar make short work of several radiants. But we know eventually the Heralds were killed during the previous desolation so that can't be it either. 

And why was Moash given the dagger to kill Jezrien? 

20 minutes ago, KSub said:

In RoW we got to see Raysium, the solid manifestation of Odiums power. But not just a glimpse. Raboniel teaches a class in Introductory Applications of Raysium for us.

It conducts investiture, similar to how a normal metal would conduct electricity, except that it appears to only move in one direction.

We've seen the Shanay-im fighting windrunners with spears tipped with Raysium. It draws off the windrunners stormlight so that they can be killed. And Moash used a Raysium dagger to kill Jezrien.

He stabbed Jezrien, transferring his soul into a gem. This severed his connection to the oathpact,  and just as stormlight leaks from a gem so too did Jezriens essence.

The fused had access to Raysium. They had weapons made from it. We've seen the fused kill Radiants with it. Did the other Heralds simply retrieve their trapped ally? Not likely because as soon as Jezrien is hit it severs his connection to the oathpact. Could they not land a single strike on a Herald? Kaladin fights several fused at the same time and we got to see Ishar make short work of several radiants. But we know eventually the Heralds were killed during the previous desolation so that can't be it either. 

We know this sapphire in dagger was prepared especially for Jezrien. This can be it - Fused knew Raisium, but they didnt know how to make proper cage for Heralds CS, and Herald was simply killed without breaking Connection (and simply goes to Braize). This mean Fused cannot experiment, because during every Desolation they had only one chance for every Herald.

Also, Raisium isnt easy to obtain. Sure, they have weapons made from it, but is not very common.

58 minutes ago, Bzhydack said:

We know this sapphire in dagger was prepared especially for Jezrien. This can be it - Fused knew Raisium, but they didnt know how to make proper cage for Heralds CS, and Herald was simply killed without breaking Connection (and simply goes to Braize). This mean Fused cannot experiment, because during every Desolation they had only one chance for every Herald.

Also, Raisium isnt easy to obtain. Sure, they have weapons made from it, but is not very common.

Not very common sure. But these are Odiums warriors. If he wanted them to have some he must have been able to do that. I know he didn't want to invest but we know they have had it for several desolations. 

It could be that they needed the gem to capture the Heralds. Sapphire is connected to Jezerezeh in the essence tables. I just never really trusted those tables. 

5 hours ago, KSub said:

The Fused have known about Raysium and some of its properties for a while, but only in the last Desolation did they learn about the possibility of capturing Cognitive entities inside gemstones.  This is the first opportunity they have had to try it on a Herald,

5 hours ago, KSub said:

Moash had shown himself - by killing Elhokar - to be a trustworthy servant, and I'm sure it made more sense to have a human do it, rather than a Fused striding into the Beggar's Banquet and stabbing someone.  I expect Leshwi knew, but didn't want Moash to know, that a "cognitive capture" was the actual objective, preferring for him to view it as a simple murder.