Watches and Temporal metals

SirWatermelon

Rereading Alloy of Law, and a thought struck me, gear powered watches would be completely messed up by either of the temporal metals. If, say Wayne, was to burn Bendalloy to create a speed bubble around him, and watches inside would also be sped up, coming out of the bubble ahead of everyone else's. A similar thing would happen with Cadmium, the watches outside of the bubble would be ticking much faster than those inside, but they would be standard time, leaving the watch inside behind.

3 hours ago, SirWatermelon said:

Rereading Alloy of Law, and a thought struck me, gear powered watches would be completely messed up by either of the temporal metals. If, say Wayne, was to burn Bendalloy to create a speed bubble around him, and watches inside would also be sped up, coming out of the bubble ahead of everyone else's. A similar thing would happen with Cadmium, the watches outside of the bubble would be ticking much faster than those inside, but they would be standard time, leaving the watch inside behind.

I mean, that's no different than clocks on satellites high in earth's orbit ticking faster because of gravitational time dilation being reduced by the greater distance to Earth.

Yes indeed.

If you really want to delve the complications with the temporal metals: Cadmium is poisonous, and WOB is that the traditional way to handle that issue is to just burn it all off at the end of each day, before the damage can accumulate.  For anyone that uses it as much as Wayne is going to eventually see signs of a different age than their objective years.  For Wayne I have to wonder if there isnt some Gold healing impact (or even resonance) that is keeping his body aligned with his objective (or perhaps just perceived) age, despite the divergence he should be experiencing.  

2 hours ago, Halyo_Alex said:

I mean, that's no different than clocks on satellites high in earth's orbit ticking faster because of gravitational time dilation being reduced by the greater distance to Earth.

I hadn't heard of that, that's very interesting. I just assume it would become an annoyance having to regularly reset your watch, and any other timepiece in the bubble. This could also probably be used to your advantage in a very few cases, if you're alone in a room with someone, and could put up  a bubble without them knowing you could change their watch time. That would be very convoluted and too hard to pull off to be practical.

1 hour ago, Quantus said:

Yes indeed.

If you really want to delve the complications with the temporal metals: Cadmium is poisonous, and WOB is that the traditional way to handle that issue is to just burn it all off at the end of each day, before the damage can accumulate.  For anyone that uses it as much as Wayne is going to eventually see signs of a different age than their objective years.  For Wayne I have to wonder if there isnt some Gold healing impact (or even resonance) that is keeping his body aligned with his objective (or perhaps just perceived) age, despite the divergence he should be experiencing.  

There's actually a WoB which states that Allomancers are generally immune to metal poisoning.

https://wob.coppermind.net/entry/14804

I think people in era one burned them off a precaution without realising this, but the idea that Wayne's healing could impact his physical age, maybe aligning it with his spiritual ideal, is interesting, and could definitely be a possibility.

6 minutes ago, SirWatermelon said:

There's actually a WoB which states that Allomancers are generally immune to metal poisoning.

https://wob.coppermind.net/entry/14804

I think people in era one burned them off a precaution without realising this, but the idea that Wayne's healing could impact his physical age, maybe aligning it with his spiritual ideal, is interesting, and could definitely be a possibility.

Huh, that's a new one.  Good to know, thanks!

Looks like he's changed his mind on this one, the earlier WOB's all seems to confirm that metal poisoning was a legitimate issue for allomancers.  He did say he was wavering on it in one of the recent-ish ones. 

1 minute ago, Quantus said:

Huh, that's a new one.  Good to know, thanks!

Looks like he's changed his mind on this one, the earlier WOB's all seems to confirm that metal poisoning was a legitimate issue for allomancers.  He did say he was wavering on it in one of the recent-ish ones. 

I do remember hearing something about that, but when he changed it so that feruchemists could physically touch toxic metals, I think that's when he decided that allomancers could as well.

I had a similar thought, more an idea about how to shoot accurately out of a Bendallyo/Cadmium bubble using a modified 'allomanic grenade'.

All this requires is the grenade to be modified into the gun so that as the trigger is pulled a small aluminium foil wraps around or similarly blocks the effect of time bubbles, for the period of time between the bullet and the perimeter of the bubble. True this is dangerous as the bubble drops for a short period, but aiming and reloading could be accomplished outside of the timeline. Thus as the bullets do not experience the difference between time and do not refract and they are more accurate and effective.

On 9/5/2021 at 11:41 PM, FictionSpren said:

I had a similar thought, more an idea about how to shoot accurately out of a Bendallyo/Cadmium bubble using a modified 'allomanic grenade'.

All this requires is the grenade to be modified into the gun so that as the trigger is pulled a small aluminium foil wraps around or similarly blocks the effect of time bubbles, for the period of time between the bullet and the perimeter of the bubble. True this is dangerous as the bubble drops for a short period, but aiming and reloading could be accomplished outside of the timeline. Thus as the bullets do not experience the difference between time and do not refract and they are more accurate and effective.

Is it confirmed that aluminum can block speed bubbles? and if it dropped it would take time to put up another, enough to be a danger. But this idea is a great one, that would give a huge advantage to Bendalloy burners, even if you'd be shooting away a fortune.

Brandon has RAFO'd the question of what would happen if you shoot an aluminum bullet through the edge of a bubble but we know that you can't even set up a bubble if the edge would pass through aluminum so my guess is that firing an aluminum bullet through the bubble would have a similar effect and it would collapse the whole thing.

That said, we know that a bubble can be dropped and reestablished very quickly from the way Wayne uses them, so there's no real need to resort to aluminum bullets or some kind of complicated allomantic grenade tricks. You just do what Wax did at the end of Alloy of Law: Carefully aim, drop the bubble at the right moment so your shot goes straight, fire and immediately restart the bubble. It saves you a small fortune in aluminum. Wax pulled off a trick shot while needing to coordinae with Wayne so imagine how much easier it would be to pull off if the same person was handling both aspects of the procedure.

Edited by Weltall

17 hours ago, Weltall said:

Brandon has RAFO'd the question of what would happen if you shoot an aluminum bullet through the edge of a bubble but we know that you can't even set up a bubble if the edge would pass through aluminum so my guess is that firing an aluminum bullet through the bubble would have a similar effect and it would collapse the whole thing.

Is the bubble destroyed when overlapping aluminium, could you have aluminium inside a bubble? else how would aluminium guns be used inside the bubble?

Spoiler

Did Marasi ever need to establish how big her bubble was in BoM when she was in the carriage? Or was it just a default size, maybe the amount of ettmetal inside the cube? Could that establish a bubble extremely quickly? 

Alternatively, could bullets with ettmetal embedded inside to be used by cadmium misting to slow their opponents and make them (if not gruesome) easy pickings? After all the 'grenade' (I can't remember the official Southern Scadrian name for the cube) was activated after throwing, perhaps some intent shenanigans are involved?

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, CarlosHamilton said:

I completely resonate with your thoughts. As a watch enthusiast myself, I find it fascinating to imagine how gear-powered watches would be affected by time manipulation. That sounds great!

Hi! Welcome to the Shard! Please try to avoid replying to threads older than 6 months, as that is technically against site rules.

On 9/7/2021 at 7:43 PM, Weltall said:

That said, we know that a bubble can be dropped and reestablished very quickly from the way Wayne uses them, so there's no real need to resort to aluminum bullets or some kind of complicated allomantic grenade tricks. You just do what Wax did at the end of Alloy of Law: Carefully aim, drop the bubble at the right moment so your shot goes straight, fire and immediately restart the bubble. It saves you a small fortune in aluminum. Wax pulled off a trick shot while needing to coordinae with Wayne so imagine how much easier it would be to pull off if the same person was handling both aspects of the procedure.

Now that the post's been revived anyway, I might as well add that there is a necessary waiting time between dropping and creating a bubble. You cannot drop and then create a bubble nearly that quickly. Wax does what he does by first shooting a bullet through the bubble, waiting and watching to see what direction it gets refracted in, then has Wayne drop the bubble and shoots another bullet so that it hits the first one in a way that causes it to ricochet and hit Tarson.

1 hour ago, Underwater_Worldhopper said:

Hi! Welcome to the Shard! Please try to avoid replying to threads older than 6 months, as that is technically against site rules.

On 9/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, Weltall said:

Honestly, I'm not convinced they're not a bot. (No offense if you aren't, I once saw a guy reply with chat GPT)
Who uses the word "resonate"?! 

Edited by Argenti