Vorin Man Spellings

Shinwarrior

I've been seeing a lot of people on the shard and on Reddit who (by their spelling) appear to be listening to the audio books. While this may be a good Vorin practice it does leave lots of interesting spellings. It may also leave them susceptible to influence from the shard of Invention.   Some are close, others are not. Comment or respond with any that you might find! 

These are a few that I've seen recently. I'll update as I find more. 

The Wall of Invention

Maracie

New Sarin

Kalidan  - Kaliden - Caladin

Updates

Lyft

Cet

Coloss

Sadius - Saddeus

Jashna - Jasna - Yasnah - Yashnah

Zeth - Seth

Kondra - Chandra

The Sybling

Docksin

Shallon

Knightblood

Vyn

Nivani - Nervani

Kai (the city)

Rheoden

Sorini

Scion

Teravangion

Whit

Edited by Shinwarrior

On 10/29/2021 at 6:05 PM, Frustration said:

The Sybling

How does this even happen xD

'Sibling' is an actual word and the context in which it's used in 'The Sibling' is the same as in the definition of 'sibling'

Lol as an audiobook listener, I've certainly been surprised at the spelling of some names. I usually check before I post so I don't look doofy, but here are some of the Vorin Man Spellings in my head:

Caladin

Chandra

Kai (the city)

Rheoden

Sorini

Scion

... I'm sure there are plenty more, but those are what I can think of. I have to say the Elantris ones are the worst because you don't expect the long vowel Aon spelling when you're listening to it.

Edited by nerpspren

On 11/5/2021 at 8:15 AM, Shinwarrior said:

while I can’t blame them too much it’s still getting put on the wall of shame. 

Hey, just want to note that while it's fine to laugh a little about people not knowing how to spell fantasy names, and it can be annoying to see people constantly do it if you're a book reader and not audiobook listener, they're honest mistakes and not something we want to encourage feeling ashamed over. I've been keeping an eye on this thread and it seems mostly all right, but there is a line where it becomes mocking people for something that is relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things and we want to foster an environment that welcomes everybody - including those who listen to the books and don't know how to spell stuff at first, or whose autocorrect caught them. So let's all just keep that in mind as we joke here :)

10 hours ago, AonEne said:

Hey, just want to note that while it's fine to laugh a little about people not knowing how to spell fantasy names, and it can be annoying to see people constantly do it if you're a book reader and not audiobook listener, they're honest mistakes and not something we want to encourage feeling ashamed over. I've been keeping an eye on this thread and it seems mostly all right, but there is a line where it becomes mocking people for something that is relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things and we want to foster an environment that welcomes everybody - including those who listen to the books and don't know how to spell stuff at first, or whose autocorrect caught them. So let's all just keep that in mind as we joke here :)

This has some very good points, and I don't think the intention here was to be a sarcastic/ annoying Vorin women who is mocking from the undertext. Rather a place to collect the many different attempts to spell the names of those from the Cosmere. It's good to note that autocorrect, pronouncing the name differently in your head, and influences from the shard of Invention could all be factors for misspelled names in addition to audiobook readers never seeing the names. (Even after reading the books I still mistake Syl and Sly all the time). Nothing is wrong with listening to the books instead of reading them, so maybe it will help if we have a wall of 'Invention' instead of a wall of 'shame'.