Perfect Gemstones

CosmereMaths

In Oathbringer, we see the King’s Drop Ruby shining brightly in the Thaylen vaults. However, we also know that it is a perfect gemstone and that it never leaks stormlight. If this is the case, why do y’all think it is shining? If no stormlight can escape than it seems like it should appear dun. Also note it is shining and not reflecting as the Thaylen Vaults are really dark and even with a cloth covering the gemstone it still shines through it. In a way it seems like energy is coming from no where. I mention this because Wyndle refers to a cosmere equivalent of conservation of energy when explaining to Lift that she cant grow food with stormlight and eat it and have a net positive gain in calories or stormlight. However many Cosmere examples seem to contradict this so my best conclusion is the Wyndle is an unreliable source. 

This has been mentioned other places. The reason this happens is because while the Stormlight is held inert in a gemstone, energy from the spiritual realm is drawn to make it glow. A lot of cosmere magics use a key to draw investiture, similar to this.

On 7/28/2022 at 3:50 PM, CosmereMaths said:

In a way it seems like energy is coming from no where. I mention this because Wyndle refers to a cosmere equivalent of conservation of energy when explaining to Lift that she cant grow food with stormlight and eat it and have a net positive gain in calories or stormlight. However many Cosmere examples seem to contradict this so my best conclusion is the Wyndle is an unreliable source. 

Energy is coming from the Spiritual Realm in this case - I think there's a WoB comparing it to "a lightbulb plugged into the Spiritual" or something of that sort.

Wyndle is definitely unreliable there; he even says that he thinks it should work that way (no net gain) but Lift is weird enough that he doesn't really know.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2022 at 4:50 PM, CosmereMaths said:

In Oathbringer, we see the King’s Drop Ruby shining brightly in the Thaylen vaults. However, we also know that it is a perfect gemstone and that it never leaks stormlight. If this is the case, why do y’all think it is shining? If no stormlight can escape than it seems like it should appear dun. Also note it is shining and not reflecting as the Thaylen Vaults are really dark and even with a cloth covering the gemstone it still shines through it. In a way it seems like energy is coming from no where. I mention this because Wyndle refers to a cosmere equivalent of conservation of energy when explaining to Lift that she cant grow food with stormlight and eat it and have a net positive gain in calories or stormlight. However many Cosmere examples seem to contradict this so my best conclusion is the Wyndle is an unreliable source. 

Infused Gemstones are a bit similar to Bio-Chromatic breaths in this way; there is a constant stream of energy flowing from the spiritual realm into the physical realm, causing a minor effect, which in the gemstone's case happens to be a small bit of light. The actual Investiture itself is not expended in this process, potentially allowing for a permanent and steady source of energy.