[Spoiller] Squire Army?!?!

Natans

This is a really cool theory but there are some problems that Kal might get into having so many squires 

First off will his going away at the end of WOR somehow weaken the bond and leave his barely formed squire army without the ability to use stormlight, probably not since he was separated from them for weeks during the march to the center of the plains and they were still able to draw in a little stormlight in the battle but who knows how long he's going to be gone for this time.

Second will having so many squires weaken them, or can they all draw in the same amount of stormlight regardless of how many of them there are.

Finally will this affect Syl in any way.

Like I said above I think this is an awesome idea and it could potentially offset that the're are only a few knights to face the upcoming Desolation.

I doubt it will be all 1000 of the Bridgemen (I could be wrong though), but I think it will be just Bridge Four who become Squires. A few of them, Rock, Lopen, Sigzil, for example, should become Radiants themselves. Not for any particular reason, just because they are great, so some Spren out there should recognise this.

He going away will be some a plot device just made put him in a vulnerable situation with no stormlight and in the heart of the chaos, but i don't see offsetting his bond with his squirs. Lopen was in the Shattered Plains and Kal was in Urithiru when Lopen started to glow, so distance  shouldn't be such factor.   =)

There is plenty of spheres in the world and they discovery that will need they to fight Dalinar could easily  create more. We already saw 300 Knights together in the recreance (and this are just one order)  1000 squires aren't so different of what they had in that time =)

We don't Know enough to say that Syl will be affected, by my book this could be inclusive the that  next step in Kal Knighthood, his 2 first vows are about protect, maybe the 2 remaining are about be a leader and have 1000 squires to lead are a good way.

And finally Brandon 0 Rule, In Doubt err for the side off awesomeness LOL =)

I feel Unhinged is correct in believing time apart will affect the potency of the Squires. Everything in SA seems to be about bonds. Maintining the bond between individuals is difficult during lengthy separation. Moreover, Kaladin is probably in for some major characterization when he has to deal with what happened to his home town (whatever it may be), him being a pseudo-lighteyes, and him being the Radiant known to pretty much the entire Alethi army. This characterization will potentially alter the bonds to his Squires, possibly affecting their powers as well.

In addition, I feel Kaladin does have an abnormally large number of Squires, given he's the only one with any at the moment. We can theorize who Shallan's and Jasnah's might be, but I do not recall anyone being confirmed other than Lopen. I also believe it is just Bridge 4, and not all the bridgemen, because only Bridge 4 have a particularly strong bond to Kaladin.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent word of Brandon that serve as evidence to my little theory =)

Q: I said since Shallan has a unique ability of Memory from her blended surges, is fighting what Kaladin has?

A: No. His unique ability is "Strength of Squires".

1000 Squire army will happen I can feel  LOL

=)

Recent word of Brandon that serve as evidence to my little theory =)

Q: I said since Shallan has a unique ability of Memory from her blended surges, is fighting what Kaladin has?

A: No. His unique ability is "Strength of Squires".

1000 Squire army will happen I can feel  LOL

=)

Well, for me "Strength of Squires" means that squires are stronger not more numerous. Maybe Brandon means strength in stormlight use? I mean, Lopen already managed to regrow his arm, which I think is pretty amazing. 

But there is strength in numbers. Maybe Lopen is just as powerful as a normal squire with many many more to come. Say.... 1000 more? :D

Well, true. But 1000 squires powerful enough to at least regrow limbs? Well, I think that we can count Desolation as already won then. :D

Edited by Pestis the Spider

Or we can count our beloved heros as having a chance. They will be fighting millions of Voidbringers, Thunderclasts, shadow thingies from the visions of Dalinar, and who knows how many other unspeakable evils created by Odium. They honestly will need as many advantages as possible. If they don't get them, they will lose. Dalinar (who can't fight), Kaladin (who can't be everywhere), Lift (who is a healer), and Shallan (who is a wimp) can't defend against everything alone.

Or we can count our beloved heros as having a chance. They will be fighting millions of Voidbringers, Thunderclasts, shadow thingies from the visions of Dalinar, and who knows how many other unspeakable evils created by Odium. They honestly will need as many advantages as possible. If they don't get them, they will lose. Dalinar (who can't fight), Kaladin (who can't be everywhere), Lift (who is a healer), and Shallan (who is a wimp) can't defend against everything alone.

They won't lose, they're in the book. (I'm still trying to get a fantasy book that ends with all main good characters dying, and general success of the "bad side", but actually I expect ASOIAF to end this way). :D And honestly I really doubt they will stop the Desolation by killing every single Voidbringer there. There is always some smarter way to do that (at least in books), like defeating the main bad guy, etc. 

In this case, they will need to make Odium appoint a champion for them to defeat. Until that happens, there will be war. The only way for them to survive a war is to get a good defense. Essentially it's a stall tactic until they can talk to Odium, convince him he can lose, and kill his champion. (This comes from Dalinar's last vision in WoK.)

Edited by Arthur Dent

They won't lose, they're in the book. (I'm still trying to get a fantasy book that ends with all main good characters dying, and general success of the "bad side", but actually I expect ASOIAF to end this way). :D And honestly I really doubt they will stop the Desolation by killing every single Voidbringer there. There is always some smarter way to do that (at least in books), like defeating the main bad guy, etc. 

It isn't to all peoples tastes but S.M. Stirling's novel "Snowbrother" was along those lines.  I'm not sure if it is still in print.  Also look up his alternate history Draka series if you want intelligent, practical, vile and successful villains.  I have heard that he had conflicts with Jim Baen over the issue of his letting bad guys be so successful before he jumped ship from Baen.  Though from what little I have read of him in the past fifteen years he seems to have drifted away from that type of thing.

Edit : I should mention that there were two versions of "Snowbrother." The second version toned down the evil significantly.  As for the first version.  Well here is a quote from one analysis I found on line.

In the first version of Snowbrother, it was very much as if Stirling set out to create a story that was completely and consciously anti-moral fiction... one in which the bad guy not only won out over the good guy, but did so in the most ethically reprehensible and utterly nihilistic, anti-humanistic manner imaginable, as well.

So yeah...Not nice.

Edited by Arondell

It isn't to all peoples tastes but S.M. Stirling's novel "Snowbrother" was along those lines.  I'm not sure if it is still in print.  Also look up his alternate history Draka series if you want intelligent, practical, vile and successful villains.  I have heard that he had conflicts with Jim Baen over the issue of his letting bad guys be so successful before he jumped ship from Baen.  Though from what little I have read of him in the past fifteen years he seems to have drifted away from that type of thing.

Edit : I should mention that there were two versions of "Snowbrother." The second version toned down the evil significantly.  As for the first version.  Well here is a quote from one analysis I found on line.

So yeah...Not nice.

Well, that's actually sounds pretty interesting, but that not exactly what I want. What I want is to be surprised by the ending. In almost all books the good guys win, which is too predictable, but if the bad guys would win I would be really, really surprised. And I'd like that. The rest of the books has not straighforward morally characters and no real distinctions between good and bad guys, which makes it more surprising and interesting, but still not as surprising as bad guy winnig. But now you told me that these books end this way, they're no surprise anymore. : ) But I'll check them out anyway, so thanks!

And yes, I've read ASOIAF and that's why I want characters dead. Even GRR Martin stopped killing his characters, really. (Although there ispossibility that my favourite character is dead, and if he is then that will cause mixed feelings in me.)

No, he is the leader of the Holy Army. It's like my a high priest trusted with the most power.

Again, that's just assuming it's all true.

Well, if we see it this way I sense (with my Force sense) some more Kaladin-lighteyes problems. Imagine: Kaladin is the uber Knight Radiant with shiny blue eyes and his whole Holy Army. Maybe his Army also gets eyes all shiny because of stormlight? And because of that he is actually strengthening the belief that lighteyes are better or more important. That would blow Kaladin's mind. 

But Kaladin's Holy Army sounds pretty awesome. 

Well, that's actually sounds pretty interesting, but that not exactly what I want. What I want is to be surprised by the ending. In almost all books the good guys win, which is too predictable, but if the bad guys would win I would be really, really surprised. And I'd like that. The rest of the books has not straighforward morally characters and no real distinctions between good and bad guys, which makes it more surprising and interesting, but still not as surprising as bad guy winnig. But now you told me that these books end this way, they're no surprise anymore. : ) But I'll check them out anyway, so thanks!

That is a bit of a catch-22.  If you say your looking for stories where the bad guys win then anything someone suggests based on that criteria will kind of give away the ending.  :huh:   The interesting part isn't the ending.  It is how you get there.  :rolleyes: