I told you so!

hoser

Perhaps it is just my base nature, but another of cem's great posts reminded me of something that might be kind of fun. We could go on record with our "I told you so" ideas. This OP could start out with a list of the issues and members who will commit to taking sides. In April, we could see how we did for those that are resolved. I imagine it will be quite humbling for me, as I am wrong a lot and tend to remember my successes, but I think it will be fun too. I do love being right. I am placing this here, but if people like it, we can make one for the WoR forum also, as I want to be careful to not spoilerize anybody.

1. Surgebinders will have no more than 3 powers, and specifically windrunners will only be able to infuse and perform the 3 lashings as defined in the Ars Arcanum of tWoK. Yes: cem?, Natans, Mailliw73, marianmi, Gloom. No: hoser, Argent?, Aether, Moogle
  2. Windrunnners have a "Force Push" ability. Yes: Aether, Mailliw73. No: Natans, marianmi, Chrono
  3. The Stonewards  have a communication ability (I believe the female knight exercises it in the Starfalls vision, but I don't know if that will ever be confirmed). Yes: hoser No: Moogle, Natans, Mailliw73, Kurkistan
  4. There are 10 different types of spren that give the ability to Surgebind and they are all Splinters. Yes: cem, hoser, Natans, Mailliw73, Kurkistan, marianmi, Chrono, Gloom
  5. Stormriding: is a side-effect of either being a Surgebinder or a Radiant (therefore available to all surgebinders). Yes: cem. No: Natans, Mailliw73, marianmi, hoser, Chrono, Gloom.
  6. Riding the storm is the Windrunner special ability.  No other Radiant order will be able to do it. Yes: Scott, Natans, marianmi, hoser, Chrono, Gloom. No: Mailliw73
  7. Szeth is in possession of an Honorblade. Yes: Aether, Bloodfalcon, Natans, marianmi, Gloom.   No: MadRand, hoser, Mailliw73, Kurkistan, dyring
  8. Shardblades are corrupted (Yes: marianmi) by Odium. Yes: Mailliw73.   No: MadRand, Natans, dyring.
  9. Shallan's brother (Nan Heleran?) was the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram back in Alethkar. Yes: Moogle, Natans, Mailliw73, Kurkistan, dyring, marianmi.
  10. Dalinar will be a Stoneward. We will see his spren in WoR. Yes: Scott, Natans, Mailliw73.  No: marianmi.
  11. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear in WoR. Yes: Scott, Natans, Mailliw73, Gloom. No: marianmi
  12. Baxil's mistress is Shallash. Yes: Moogle, Natans, Mailliw73, Kurkistan, marianmi, Chrono, Gloom
  13. The two Surge-charts were created by Honor and Cultivation and establish the magic system. Yes: Bloodfalcon, Natans, Mailliw73, Gloom   No: Kurkistan, marianmi
  14. The Order images on Cultivation's Surge-chart (woman, big gem, lightning) are images of spren. Yes: Bloodfalcon, Natans, Mailliw73   No: marianmi
  15. The Order images on Honor's Surge-chart (Radiants) are images of Honorblades. Yes: Bloodfalcon, marianmi, Gloom   No:
  16. Voidbringers will have the inverse characteristics of the Heralds. Yes: Natans No: Mailliw73, marianmi, Gloom
  17. The Tranquiline Halls and Damnation are both based off of real places in the Physical Realm. More specifically, they are other planets in the Roshar System. Yes: Gloom, Natans, Mailliw73. No: marianmi
  18. There are no spren created (without having previously existed in another form) by Odium. Yes: Gloom, Mailliw73, marianmi, Chrono, Gloom. No: .
  19. The Radiants had a plan when they Recreanted that included saving information for their resurrection with the Vanrial.  Yes: hoser, Natans.  No: marianmi, Gloom
  20. Urithiru is located on the main continental land mass of Roshar to the west of Alethela in the physical realm. Yes: hoser, Natans, dyring.  No: marianmi
  21. Szeth gets his windrunner abilities from his Shardblade. Yes: hoser, Natans, Kurkistan, marianmi, Gloom. No: Mailliw73.
  22. The parshendi killed Gavilar because "The evil sphere of doom" was a corrupted spren that could create a "voidbringer parshendi form". Yes: Natans. No: marianmi, Aether, Gloom.
  23. Shallarin (Shallan-Renarin shipping) will happen in WoR. Yes: Mailliw73.  No: marianmi
  24. The Ten Fools will have the inverse characteristics of the Heralds. Yes: Mailliw73. No: marianmi
  25. Syl is no ordinary honorspren. She is qualitatively different from other Honorspren in addition to her unique personality.  Yes: bartbug. No: Kurkistan, Mailliw73, Aether, Gloom. 
  26. Kaladin's father, Lirin, will end up working for Taravangian.  Yes: Gamma Fiend. No: Mailliw73, Chrono, Aether, Gloom.
  27. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear in book 5. Yes: marianmi, Mailliw73, Gloom.  By book 5. Yes: Aether.  
  28. Renarin will become a Skybreaker. Yes: Mailliw73. No: Aether, Gloom.
  29. If Adolin becomes a KR, he will be a Dustbringer. Yes:  Mailliw73. No: Aether.
  30. No more than half of the POV characters will become Radiants before the end of the series. Yes: Kurkistan, Mailliw73. No: Gloom.
  31. Gaz will resurface alive. Yes: Fistsofrage, Mailliw73, Aether. No: .
  32. Bondsmiths are Order 10. Yes: Moogle (+eat hat).  No: .
  33. There is never going to be a real sex scene.  Yes: Galladon, Mailliw73, Gloom.  No:  .
  34. Over 85% of all the theories in this thread will be wrong. Yes: Gamma Fiend.  No: hoser, Mailliw73, Gloom, Aether.
  35. The gems built into pre-Recreance Shardplate were there since before the Recreance.  Yes: hoser, Gloom.  No:  .
  36. Moash is a bastard son of a lighteye or he is a darkeye born of two lighteyes. Yes: Natans, Mailliw73. No: Gloom.
  37. By writing The Way of Kings, Nohadon altered how bonding Spren (Nahel Spren) select their human partners - much in the same way Geranid and Ashir were able to "lock" Flamespren to a certain measurement by writing down its values.  Yes: Aether, Mailliw73.  No: .

The idea is that these are the things that you believe, so if you are unsure about one of these issues or don't have an opinion, it makes sense to not say either yes or no. 

Aether suggests that people edit their posts to make changes. That makes sense to me. Feel free to PM me to get changes added to the OP.

If you do make changes, please indicate which positions have changed or been added in an edit line at the bottom.

And there is a Google Spreadsheet here, if that's how people want to do it.

Edited by hoser

Hah! Nice. I've been waiting for this.

• There are 10 different spren that give the ability to Surgebind and they are all Splinters.
  • Stormriding is not a regular power of Surgebinding. It's a side-effect of either being a Surgebinder or a Radiant.

I'll add other stuff as I think of them.

Big ones for me... although these may be answered later in the series.

• Szeth is NOT in possession of an Honorblade
  • Shardblades are NOT corrupted by Odium
  • Shardblades / plate could be created and destoyed by the Radiants (i.e there were not a fixed number which were handed down the generations).

...there goes all my rep points ;)

Edited by MadRand

I'm rather new to this forum, but I'm in!

I also suggest that everyone keeps to just one post to avoid clutter. Just edit your own post if you have anything to add/tweak (just no editing past WoR release date!)

My "I told you so" list:

EDIT: Just adjusting to the new standard:

1. Disagree, as stated above. The Windrunners (and other Orders) DO have more than three simple abilities.
  2. Well, I launched a topic claiming that the Windrunners have a "Force Push" ability, so yes.
  3. Don't know
  4. There are 10 different types of spren that give the ability to Surgebind and they are all Splinters. Agree
  5. Don't know
  6. Don't know
  7. Szeth is in possession of an Honorblade. Agree
  8. Shardblades are corrupted by Odium. Corrupted, sure, but not necessarily (or at least directly) by Odium. I'll hold off taking a position on this until we know more.
  9. Shallan's brother (Nan Heleran?) was the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram back in Alethkar. Agree, because it fits so beautifully.
  10. Dalinar will be a Stoneward. We will see his spren in WoR. Agree
  11. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear in WoR. Dunno, but it would be AWESOME. So actually, yes: Agree
  12. Baxil's mistress is Shallash (obviously). Agree
  13. The two Surge-charts were created by Honor and Cultivation and establish the magic system. I sincerely disagree. They did create the magic system, but I find the idea that the they then sat down to make the charts ridiculous. The charts are made by Scholars studying the magic system.
  14. Don't care
  15. The Order images on Honor's Surge-chart (Radiants) are images of Honorblades. No, just glyphs.
  16. Don't care.
  17. The Tranquiline Halls and Damnation are both based off of real places in the Physical Realm. More specifically, they are other planets in the Roshar System. Oh, YES! 'Twould be SO cool. Also logical.
  18. There are no Odium spren. Not directly, no, as I find it unlikely that he's Splintered himself. He does corrupt them, though,
  19. The Radiants had a plan when they Recreanted that included saving information for their resurrection with the Vanrial. Dafak? No idea.
  20. Urithiru will be found on the main continental land mass of Roshar to the west of Alethela in the physical realm. Agree
  21. Szeth gets his windrunner abilities from his Shardblade. I am not convinced. I think it has another origin. Disagree
  22. The parshendi killed Gavilar because "The evil sphere of doom" was a corrupted spren that could create a "voidbringer parshendi form". Disagree. There is no evidence to support this; rather evidence to suggest the contrary. And besides, how would Gavilar even know about their bonding process?
  23. Shallarin (Shallan-Renarin shipping) will happen in WoR. Don't really care. BUT KALADIN / JASNAH or KALADIN / TARAH ALL DA WAY!!!!
  24. Don't care.
  25. Syl is no ordinary honorspren. She is qualitatively different from other Honorspren in addition to her unique personality. Disagree. I see know reason for this to be the case. She already is unique, in the same way every given human is unique in their own way. She already is awesome, without having to be even more extraordinary.
  26. Kaladin's father, Lirin, will end up working for Taravangian. Disagree. I really hope Lirin will resurface at some point (he is one of the most interesting characters I've ever met in a fantasy series), but I doubt he will become one of Taravangian's "Death Surgeons". Doesn't seem to fit his character at all. (I realise this is a rather specific interpretation of the claim, but it is the only part that interests me)
  27. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear *by book 5. Agree. Slightly changed the wording of the claim. I see no reason to limit the claim to book 5 specifically, but I do believe he will have a Shardspear by this point.
  28. Renarin will become a Skybreaker. Disagree. I think Adolin is a more likely candidate for this.
  29. If Adolin becomes a KR, he will be a Dustbringer. Disagree. Though, Adolin might fit the ideals listed in the Ars Arcanum quite well, I would rather have Renarin become a Dustbringer. If only to have sweet, humble Renarin blow s**t up.
  30. No more than half of the POV characters will become Radiants before the end of the series. I see no reason to quantify this.
  31. Gaz will resurface alive. Agree. The reasons he disappeared don't seem to necessitate his death.
  32. Don't care.
  33. There is never going to be a real sex scene. Disagree. I was originally more in the agree camp on this one, but I find it likely that Sanderson might challenge himself at SOME point in this 10 book series.We're never getting a G. R. R. Martin type of scene, though =(.
  34. Over 85% of all the theories in this thread will be wrong. Disagree, as I think I'm supporting way over 15% of these theories. This might change in the future though, if the list grows longer and my Agree / Disagree ratio shifts.
  35. I haven't made up my mind yet.
  36. Moash is a bastard son of a lighteye or he is a darkeye born of two lighteyes. Disagree. There is simply not enough information to go on here.
  37. By writing The Way of Kings, Nohadon altered how bonding Spren (Nahel Spren) select their human partners - much in the same way Geranid and Ashir were able to "lock" Flamespren to a certain measurement by writing down its values. Well, since I was somewhat involved in the advent of this theory, I suppose you will have to put me down as Agreeing.

EDIT 2: Added thoughts on #22-35.

EDIT 3: Implemented changes from this post.

EDIT 4: Added my position on #36-37.

Edited by Aether

Heh, I almost wanted to make a thread like this myself. Here's mine:

• There are MORE than 3 abilities for the Windrunners.
  • There is no Surge dealing with communication specifically, though long-ranged communication might be a side-effect of one. Stonewards have no Communication-esque Surge! Every other Surge is a fundamental force of nature, and I am extremely confident that doesn't include communication. Spanreeds are here to stay!
  • Baxil's mistress is Shallash.
  • Shallan's brother was the Shardbearer who attacked Kaladin.

I think those are the big ones.

Edit: In order to deal with the numbers:

1. No.

2. Yes.

3. No.

9. Yes.

13. Yes.

25. No.

32. Yes. And will eat hat if wrong. (Or make a donation, whatever.)

I am about 90% confident that these are all right. We'll see how I do. :D

Edited by Moogle

I'm probably going to be adding to mine, and they will probably differ from the topics many others us, but I'll post!

• The two Surge-charts were created by Honor and Cultivation and establish the magic system.
  • The Order images on Cultivation's are images of spren.
  • The Order images on Honor's are images of Honorblades.
  • Szeth has an Honorblade.
  • True Voidbrinders will have the inverse characteristics of the Heralds.

• Thunderclasts are OP haxx0rz
Edited by Bloodfalcon

- The parshendi killed Gavilar becasue "The evil sphere of doom" was a corruped spren that could create a "voidbringer parshendi form".

And

1. Surgebinders will have no more than 3 powers, and specifically windrunners will only be able to infuse and perform the 3 lashings as defined in the Ars Arcanum of tWoK.  Agree
  2. Windrunnners have a "Force Push" ability. Disagree
  3. The Stonewards  have a communication ability (I believe the female knight exercises it in the Starfalls vision, but I don't know if that will ever be confirmed). Disagree
  4. There are 10 different types of spren that give the ability to Surgebind and they are all Splinters. Agree
  5. Stormriding: is not a regular power of Surgebinding. It's a side-effect of either being a Surgebinder or a Radiant. Disagree
  6. Riding the storm is the Windrunner special ability.  No other Radiants will be able to do it.  Agree
  7. Szeth is in possession of an Honorblade. Agree
  8. Shardblades are corrupted by Odium. Disagree
  9. Shallan's brother (Nan Heleran?) was the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram back in Alethkar. Agree
  10. Dalinar will be a Stoneward.  We will see his spren in WoR.  Agree

11. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear in WoR. Agree

12. Baxil's mistress is Shallash.   Agree

13. The two Surge-charts were created by Honor and Cultivation and establish the magic system.  Agree
  14. The Order images on Cultivation's Surge-chart (woman, big gem, lightning) are images of spren. Agree
  15. The Order images on Honor's Surge-chart (Radiants) are images of Honorblades. Neutral
  16. Voidbringers will have the inverse characteristics of the Heralds. Agree
  17. The Tranquiline Halls and Damnation are both based off of real places in the Physical Realm. More specifically, they are other planets in the Roshar System. Agree

18. There are no Odium spren. Disagree - There are Corrupted Spreens

19. The Radiants had a plan when they Recreanted that included saving information for their resurrection with the Vanrial.  Agree

20. Urithiru will be found on the main continental land mass of Roshar to the west of Alethela in the physical realm.Agree

21. Szeth gets his windrunner abilities from his Shardblade. Agree

22. The parshendi killed Gavilar because "The evil sphere of doom" was a corrupted spren that could create a "voidbringer parshendi form".  Agree
  23. Shallarin (Shallan-Renarin shipping) and KALADIN /TARAH shippings for sure!
  24. The Ten Fools will have the inverse characteristics of the Heralds.  Disagree (they are the ten heralds)
  25. Syl is no ordinary honorspren. She is qualitatively different from other Honorspren in addition to her unique personality.Disagree
  26. Kaladin's father, Lirin, will end up working for Taravangian. Disagree
  27. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear *by book 5. Agree
  28. Renarin will become a Skybreaker. Neutral
  29. If Adolin becomes a KR, he will be a Dustbringer. Neutral
  30. No more than half of the POV characters will become Radiants before the end of the series.Neutral
  31. Gaz will resurface alive. Agree
  32. ?
  33. There is never going to be a real sex scene. Neutral
  34. Over 85% of all the theories in this thread will be wrong. A strangely precise number Neutral
  35. ?
Edited by Natans

One thing to add:

-Shallarin will happen in WoR

1. Agree

2. Agree

3. Disagree

4. Agree

5. Disagree, I think it was a special thing for Kaladin granted from the Almighty, like Dalinar's visions.

6. Disagree, as I said above

7. Disagree

8. Agree

9. Agree

10. Agree

11. Agree, definitely in WoR or the third book

12. Agree

13. Agree

14. Agree

15. Kindof, maybe the hilts

16. Disagree, but replace Voidbringers with the Ten Fools, then I agree

17. Agree

18. Agree

19. Idk

20. Idk

21. Disagree

23. Yes

24. Yes

25. No

26. No

27. Yes

28. Yes

29. Yes

30. Yes

31. Yes

32. Yes

Edit:

33. Yes

34. No

Edit 2:

36: Yes

37: Yes

Edited by Mailliw73

Interesting idea. I've been keeping a list of the oaths various people have made about what they'll do if X theory isn't right, but I like a more formalized system. ;)

3. No.
4. Yes.
7. No.
9. Yes, seeing as how I'm espousing it. ;)
12. See above.
13. No.

14.No. They're half-horizontally-mirrored copies of the glyphs in the front chart, so I doubt that that just happens to look like a spren for each surge.
21. Yes.

14.No. They're half-horizontally-mirrored copies of the glyphs in the front chart, so I doubt that that just happens to look like a spren for each surge.

I didn't record this one because I think 14. is referring to the 10 larger circles that correspond to orders on the Radiant chart and I thought you were referring to the 10 smaller circles that correspond to surges on the Radiant chart.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

(I'll go through and respond to the pre-existing ones a bit later on)

I came up with this in chat earlier today:

Adolin is a potential Skybreaker (Order 2)

I like it! A new line of speculation.  Please clarify this one for me.  Does this mean: "If Adolin becomes a Radiant, he will be a Skybreaker",  "Adolin will become a Skybreaker" or something else?  

I like it! A new line of speculation.  Please clarify this one for me.  Does this mean: "If Adolin becomes a Radiant, he will be a Skybreaker",  "Adolin will become a Skybreaker" or something else?  

The first one. (Though I think it is more "when" than "if")

You say potato I say potahto =) Just my opinion.

The difference between creating a spren from scratch and corrupting a spren to a different purpose is the difference between creating life from nothing, and altering an existing life form. I'll let you take it up with the scientific community as to whether the difference between the two is a matter of opinion.

The first one. (Though I think it is more "when" than "if")

Thanks.  I just don't want to have a bunch of "I told you maybe"s on the list and the word "potential" threw me off.  My idea for this list is to have only those theories that people really get behind and be right about.  If Adolin becomes a Skybreaker you will be right with verified "I told you so" authentication and if he becomes a different order (Stoneward, for example) you will be the "other right". 

Thanks.  I just don't want to have a bunch of "I told you maybe"s on the list and the word "potential" threw me off.  My idea for this list is to have only those theories that people really get behind and be right about.  If Adolin becomes a Skybreaker you will be right with verified "I told you so" authentication and if he becomes a different order (Stoneward, for example) you will be the "other right". 

I do think that if he doesn't end up being a Skybreaker he'll end up being a Dustbringer.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that not every major character will end up a Radiant. We're approaching the "reasonable proportion of magic-users" threshold fairly fast as it is.