I told you so!

hoser

There is never going to be a real sex scene.

I haven't read enough of Brandon so I don't know, but I heard he considers Patrick Rothfuss as a rival so you never know how he might try to test his writing abilities. After all, he did write the last few Wheel of Time books and there was some sex in there (no real graphic scenes but you know...)

He doesn't really consider Pat a rival - but Brandon has said jokingly that he is jealous of Pat's beauty of language. They are very good friends, so I wouldn't bet on Brandon doing things in his books because Pat has. 

He doesn't really consider Pat a rival - but Brandon has said jokingly that he is jealous of Pat's beauty of language. They are very good friends, so I wouldn't bet on Brandon doing things in his books because Pat has. 

I was referring to the interview (dunno if it was called something else) with Pat and Brandon together. I'm pretty sure he called him a rival but he meant that he respected him as an author in the same age bracket/group. I didn't mention the rival thing with any negative connotations or that Brandon would try to copy Pat, only that he might be motivated to improve in the area of sexual scenes.

Mwahaha... this thread will be very interesting in a few months, I'll have to come find it again. :D

I don't think Brandon will ever publish an explicit sex scene, though who can say what the distant future holds... I just don't see it, given his personality and background.

I doubt that he'll ever hit something like a Richard K. Morgan level of explicitness, and I expect we'll always "pan the camera away", so to speak. And I'm fine with that, because there are plenty of authors who are willing to go there already.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm rather new to this forum, but I'm in!

I also suggest that everyone keeps to just one post to avoid clutter. Just edit your own post if you have anything to add/tweak (just no editing past WoR release date!)

My "I told you so" list:

EDIT: Just adjusting to the new standard:

1. Disagree, as stated above. The Windrunners (and other Orders) DO have more than three simple abilities.
  2. Well, I launched a topic claiming that the Windrunners have a "Force Push" ability, so yes.
  3. Don't know
  4. There are 10 different types of spren that give the ability to Surgebind and they are all Splinters. Agree
  5. Don't know
  6. Don't know
  7. Szeth is in possession of an Honorblade. Agree
  8. Shardblades are corrupted by Odium. Corrupted, sure, but not necessarily (or at least directly) by Odium. I'll hold off taking a position on this until we know more.
  9. Shallan's brother (Nan Heleran?) was the Shardbearer who attacked Amaram back in Alethkar. Agree, because it fits so beautifully.
  10. Dalinar will be a Stoneward. We will see his spren in WoR. Agree
  11. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear in WoR. Dunno, but it would be AWESOME. So actually, yes: Agree
  12. Baxil's mistress is Shallash (obviously). Agree
  13. The two Surge-charts were created by Honor and Cultivation and establish the magic system. I sincerely disagree. They did create the magic system, but I find the idea that the they then sat down to make the charts ridiculous. The charts are made by Scholars studying the magic system.
  14. Don't care
  15. The Order images on Honor's Surge-chart (Radiants) are images of Honorblades. No, just glyphs.
  16. Don't care.
  17. The Tranquiline Halls and Damnation are both based off of real places in the Physical Realm. More specifically, they are other planets in the Roshar System. Oh, YES! 'Twould be SO cool. Also logical.
  18. There are no Odium spren. Not directly, no, as I find it unlikely that he's Splintered himself. He does corrupt them, though,
  19. The Radiants had a plan when they Recreanted that included saving information for their resurrection with the Vanrial. Dafak? No idea.
  20. Urithiru will be found on the main continental land mass of Roshar to the west of Alethela in the physical realm. Agree
  21. Szeth gets his windrunner abilities from his Shardblade. I am not convinced. I think it has another origin. Disagree
  22. The parshendi killed Gavilar because "The evil sphere of doom" was a corrupted spren that could create a "voidbringer parshendi form". Disagree. There is no evidence to support this; rather evidence to suggest the contrary. And besides, how would Gavilar even know about their bonding process?
  23. Shallarin (Shallan-Renarin shipping) will happen in WoR. Don't really care. BUT KALADIN / JASNAH or KALADIN / TARAH ALL DA WAY!!!!
  24. Don't care.
  25. Syl is no ordinary honorspren. She is qualitatively different from other Honorspren in addition to her unique personality. Disagree. I see know reason for this to be the case. She already is unique, in the same way every given human is unique in their own way. She already is awesome, without having to be even more extraordinary.
  26. Kaladin's father, Lirin, will end up working for Taravangian. Disagree. I really hope Lirin will resurface at some point (he is one of the most interesting characters I've ever met in a fantasy series), but I doubt he will become one of Taravangian's "Death Surgeons". Doesn't seem to fit his character at all. (I realise this is a rather specific interpretation of the claim, but it is the only part that interests me)
  27. Kaladin will wield a Shardspear *by book 5. Agree. Slightly changed the wording of the claim. I see no reason to limit the claim to book 5 specifically, but I do believe he will have a Shardspear by this point.
  28. Renarin will become a Skybreaker. Disagree. I think Adolin is a more likely candidate for this.
  29. If Adolin becomes a KR, he will be a Dustbringer. Disagree. Though, Adolin might fit the ideals listed in the Ars Arcanum quite well, I would rather have Renarin become a Dustbringer. If only to have sweet, humble Renarin blow s**t up.
  30. No more than half of the POV characters will become Radiants before the end of the series. I see no reason to quantify this.
  31. Gaz will resurface alive. Agree. The reasons he disappeared don't seem to necessitate his death.
  32. Don't care.
  33. There is never going to be a real sex scene. Agree / Disagree. I realise this is cheating a bit, but it depends on how you define "sex scene". Though I wouldn't mind it, no, we are never going to get a G. R. R. Martin type of scene. But yes, it is likely that the books will at least feature sex in so form or another (more than just hinting at it).
  34. Over 85% of all the theories in this thread will be wrong. A strangely precise number... Depends on how you quantify it, but Agree, as long as this doesn't exclude theories from other threads.
  35. I haven't made up my mind yet.

EDIT 2: Added thoughts on #22-35.

Edit 2: I would be happy to add a new claim, but not with the word "may" in it.  The claim with "may" seems to me like it could never be wrong.  So please let me know whether you want to claim that Nohadon "did" or "did not" and I will add the issue. 

23. I take this as a vote, but not a new claim.  Please let me know if I misunderstood. 

29. Yes! Love the idea of Renarin creating huge explosions. 

33. I think the "real" means reasonably graphic, so I take this as "Agree".

34. Since it specifically says "this thread", it does exclude theories from other threads.  In any case, I am not going to go through every theory in every thread to verify a claim. 

Edited by hoser

Edit 2: I would be happy to add a new claim, but not with the word "may" in it.  The claim with "may" seems to me like it could never be wrong.  So please let me know whether you want to claim that Nohadon "did" or "did not" and I will add the issue. 

23. I take this as a vote, but not a new claim.  Please let me know if I misunderstood. 

29. Yes! Love the idea of Renarin creating huge explosions. 

33. I think the "real" means reasonably graphic, so I take this as "Agree".

34. Since it specifically says "this thread", it does exclude theories from other threads.  In any case, I am not going to go through every theory in every thread to verify a claim. 

• I'll shortly be removing the "may" part of my claim.
  • 23. Just spit-balling. Not a new claim, just a my personal preferences in terms of shipping.
  • 33. Yes, agree. I do believe that Sanderson will challenge himself on this at least at some point in what is likely his Magnum Opus.
  • I somehow completely missed that part of the claim. I'll be changing my position to disagree - at least as long as it only applies to the numbered ones - as I think I'm supporting way over 85% of them. I might change this to agree in the future if the list grows longer and my Agree/Disagree ratio shifts.

Also, kudos to you for keeping track of this.

Okay, I'll weigh in.

1: Yes

2: Abstain

3: Abstain

4: Yes

5: No

6: Yes

7: Yes

8: Abstain

9: Abstain

10: Abstain

11: Yes — I'm not positive it will happen in WoR, but I'm fairly certain he will get his spear. I'll vote yes based on the UK cover though.

12: Yes

13: Yes

14: Abstain

15: Yes

16: No

17: Yes again

18: agree again

19: No, I don't think it was planned by the KR. I think the Vanrial acted independently to save what they could.

20: Abstain

21: Yes, Honorblades are Shardblades, so I don't see how you can agree Szeth has an Honorblade and disagree with this.

22: No, the Parshendi killed Gavilar because he sought to find a way to bring back the KR.

23: Meh, I wouldn't wish any of them on anyone in a relationship.

24: Abstain

25: No, Sylphrena is Windrunner (Honor) spren, and other Windrunner spren will share her characteristics if not her personality.

26: No, and I doubt he would survive the trip. Roshone hates him and blames him for his sons death. He would kill him on the road.

27: Yes

28: No, I'm already on record that I believe he will be a Bondsmith.

29: Abstain

30: No, I think were past that point already anyways.

31: Abstain...I'd like to think so though.

32: No idea what order they are

33: No sex scene. Nothing more descriptive than a passionate embrace and some kissing.

34: No

35: Yes

36: No

This thread should be converted to a (Google) spreadsheet, where each row is a question, and each column contains a single user's responses and comments to as many questions as they have opinions about. 

Second that !

(If only I knew how do it =))

This thread should be converted to a (Google) spreadsheet, where each row is a question, and each column contains a single user's responses and comments to as many questions as they have opinions about. 

Ask and you shall receive (please let me know if the link works, the spreadsheet is obviously not finished).  It's security through obscurity, so please be honorable.

I've entered all my answers. One i have a question about is 16. Does it mean the images are the hilts of the blades or the blades themselves?

Yes.  That is, I would say that the statement is true if it is an image of any recognizable part of the honorblades.

P.S. I hope the below is a server artifact.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 0) (tried to allocate 517781808 bytes) in Unknown on line 0

Edited by hoser

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate the effort you are putting into this, hoser. I've said it once before, but it is becoming really helpful for organizing my general thoughts. Thanks.

That being said, row 17 in the doc is just a smidge off from what I posted. I said "Voidbinders" and we have "Voidbringers" in the question. What I really meant was that there will be chief Voidbinders in the same way as the Heralds are chief Surgebinders. I've heard some say 10 fools, but wherever we read about those, it went right over my head. 

EDIT: Oh, there it is just a few rows down. You might as well delete number 17 unless someone wants to make a case for that wording specifically.

Edited by Bloodfalcon

I really appreciate the effort you are putting into this, hoser. I've said it once before, but it is becoming really helpful for organizing my general thoughts. Thanks.

That being said, row 17 in the doc is just a smidge off from what I posted. I said "Voidbinders" and we have "Voidbringers" in the question. What I really meant was that there will be chief Voidbinders in the same way as the Heralds are chief Surgebinders. I've heard some say 10 fools, but wherever we read about those, it went right over my head. 

EDIT: Oh, there it is just a few rows down. You might as well delete number 17 unless someone wants to make a case for that wording specifically.

You're very welcome.  Glad to hear that it is helpful.

Technically you wrote "Voidbrinders".  I mis-corrected the spelling, for which I apologize.  It is awkward to change or delete once others have taken a position.  TBH, I am quite unclear about what voidbinders and voidbringers are, so it may be hard to verify these assertions.  I think I will try to just fudge it up a little, and hope it works for everybody.

Edit: I just decided to remove you from the list of supporters of the assertion.  It seems cleaner than editing an assertion that has both supporters and detracters. 

Edited by hoser

• 2 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic