So I'm reading Shadows of Self for the first time and there's a part where Wax says "Invite Douglas Venture,” he said. “He’s kind of a friend, but he can’t hold his liquor. You can count on him making a disturbance at the after-party.”

Does this confirm Elend and Vin lived? Who else could have carried on the Venture name? Like what are the million to a few thousand chance that one of the originators were a distant distant cousin or kin to House Venture? And if they did what are the chances they'd become Lords after the Field of Rebirth? I'm so upset there's no page for him on the copper mind! Lol Will this be explained in this book?!

Technically, it's not clear any of Straff's children besides Elend would have been named 'Venture' because of their illegitimacy, though nothing would have stopped them from claiming it later.  

Also, the Ventures are a fairly old family, so Straff also had cousins, uncles, aunts, etc, all of whom could have had descendants live to the present day.  Keep in mind, the Ventures got out of Luthadel before the rebellion, and Vin only had to kill Straff and some of his generals before getting the troops to surrender.  Assuming many Ventures would have accompanied Straff back to Luthadel, lots of them would have escaped the Citizen's purge of nobles in Urteau, so those that survived the seige of Luthadel would have only had the end of the world to deal with.  

We know for certain Straff at least had a legitimate Venture nephew (who he intended to name as heir if Shan managed to kill Elend), and we never hear what happens to him, so maybe Douglas is his descendant?  

I mean, the Tekiels have made a com back despite the ruling branch being slaughtered by its rivals in Book 1, so it makes sense that the Ventures have as well.  

If Elend and Vin had lived and had kids, we'd probably still have the occasional Mistborn in their descendents.  Vin was strong, and Elend was a Lerasium Mistborn - their bloodline could have kept that going for a while.

Well they were both definitely dead and not coming back and I really don't think it likely that their descendants would just be called Ventures given the amount of Mythology surrounding them or that the only thing we hear about them is a vague reference to one.

Plus as was mentioned pretty much all of their children would be Allomancers and a few would likely be full Mistborn, which is not even getting into what the children of a Sliver like Vin would be like.

All in all, I think it's highly unlikely, borderline impossible.

All exceptional points, but what if just the fact that a Ladrian and a Venture are "kind of friends" is a subtle nod to a possible closeness the houses have kept, a main reason for my whole Elend and Vin carrying on the Venture name is that every time a Era 2 character talks about them they never mention the knowledge of the "Last Emperor's" last name, they simply call Elend the Last Emperor and Vin the Ascendent Warrior. I realize It's a small chance of course but no smaller chance than the chance of one of house Ventures Scions being one of the originators to survive the catasondra. Like I mentioned before that was a few thousand to millions type of chance.

Well yeah but the alternative is that Elend and Vin came back to life despite not even Harmony being able to do that (At first at least), which is way lower odds than a few thousand to one.
I also highly doubt that Elend's house name is unknown, plenty of people knew it and given how much was recorded about them I'd put it as nearly impossible. And even if they did survive everyone would still know it's them so I still think their family would be a way bigger deal. Plus again, they'd pretty certainly have some Mistborn children.

Everyone on the crew was present when she finally pointed out her father to Kel, so they should all know she was the daughter of Tevidian Tekiel.

One does not simply not have the surname of the Lord Prelan written somewhere. He forfeited his surname but I'm sure someone knows it.

Edited by natc

Would a bunch of skaa Mistings have access to that information? Or want that information, for that matter?

If you follow that link you'll see that Brandon has confirmed that people in Wax and Wayne's time know that Vin's father was a Tekiel (and that the Tekiels try to to capitalize on it).  The team might not have known ('though I don't think the information would be hard to come by, it's more of a symbolic thing, i.e. giving up family ties for loyalty to the Ministry, than a secretive thing) but I'd be shocked if Yomen didn't know.

Does this confirm Elend and Vin lived? Who else could have carried on the Venture name? Like what are the million to a few thousand chance that one of the originators were a distant distant cousin or kin to House Venture? And if they did what are the chances they'd become Lords after the Field of Rebirth? I'm so upset there's no page for him on the copper mind! Lol Will this be explained in this book?!

I concur with the others here, Venture was a powerful noble house, likely Douglas is the descendant of some relatively unimportant member of House Venture that survived in the storage caches. In response to your concern though, Douglas Venture now has a Coppermind page. Thanks for the heads-up!

• Chaos locked this topic