Proto-Ghostbloods

Valhalla

So, we recently got the following WOB:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Have we seen Ghostbloods in action outside of the Rosharan system?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You have seen proto-Ghostbloods, but not after the their actual initiation.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

So, if I am understanding correctly, Brandon is saying we have seen characters that would later become Ghostbloods but weren't during the events of their book, kinda like how Demoux would later become a member of the 17th Shard but wasn't a member during the Mistborn trilogy.

Given that, and given what little we know of the Ghostbloods, let's do what we do here at the 17th Shard and wildly speculate and then use confirmation bias to line up facts so they seem to support our claims. :D

What characters do you think went on to join the Ghostbloods after their books?

Edited by Valhalla

19 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

So, we recently got the following WOB:

Questioner (paraphrased)

Have we seen Ghostbloods in action outside of the Rosharan system?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

You have seen proto-Ghostbloods, but not after the their actual initiation.

Stuttgart signing (May 17, 2019)

So, if I am understanding correctly, Brandon is saying we have seen characters that would later become Ghostbloods but weren't during the events of their book, kinda like how Demoux would later become a member of the 17th Shard but wasn't a member during the Mistborn trilogy.

Given that, and given what little we know of the Ghostbloods, let's do what we do here at the 17th Shard and wildly speculate and then use confirmation bias to line up facts so they seem to support our claims. :D

Can i ask why you titled this post proto-radiants instead of proto-ghostbloods?

37 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Well come on, it's gotta be Kelsier. He's a Ghost and his physical body is dependant on Blood-based magic. It's so obvious that nobody can possibly deny it! :P

But more seriously, maybe Jewels? We know Brandon has plans for her to appear in the Warbreaker sequel and I could see her joining up with a worldhopping group in the hopes of getting ahold of knowledge/resources to restore Arsteel's memories if Yesteel isn't able to get the job done. Plus, the Ghostbloods might find having a Drab and a Lifeless around handy, especially since both are invisible to BioChromatic lifesense and (due to shared underpinnings) presumably other kinds of life-detecting powers as well. And Brandon's said that Nalthis is a very worldhopper-friendly planet so it's probably not terribly difficult for a native to leave, or for Ghostbloods to move in and out and find potential recruits.

Do we know if possession is possible? Excluding Parsman.

Kelsier cannot leave Scadrial at this time.

But could he use a device similar to the Ancients communication device in SG1, where the minds (cognitive shadows) are body swapped. 

https://stargate.fandom.com/wiki/Long-range_communication_stone

Could Kelsier be Mraize or another Ghost blood at times? 

Same thought different direction:

What if Kel possessing Preservation somehow gave him the potential to be fully Cosmere conscious like an invested Shard. 

He cant leave the Scadrial system but his awareness can project to specific areas of the Cosmere.

Even possibly something like demon possession, whether through a spike or other means.

At the very least possessing Preservation!!!

Edited by Thanatos

4 hours ago, Thanatos said:

Do we know if possession is possible? Excluding Parsman.

Well, the 'Faceless Immortal' that we see at the end of Bands of Mourning is implied to be possessing its current body and on Sel there's the mythical Svrakiss who are said to be able to possess men. Whether the latter exist or they're either an invention of Fjordell for religious purposes or a distorted memory of something that wasn't a possession we don't know, but it's evidence that people believe it's possible.

I think I've mentioned this in other threads, but Devlin, the informant that Wax talks to at Kelesina's party in The Bands of Mourning sounded very Ghostbloody to me. Right down to commenting about the display tank of octopuses feeding on live fish, "Lady Kelesina imagines herself the predator... Of course, she doesn't see that she's in a cage as well."

Specifically, he sounds like Mraize. Since I don't think he is actually Mraize, based on his physical description - "a short, handsome man with a hint of hair on his upper lip and chin", with no mention of the rather noticeable facial scarring that Mraize bears, and Mistborn Era 2 takes place after Storlmight Part 1 - but that still leaves the possibility that he's been talking to Mraize.

My current theory is that the Set is a kind of initiation group for the Ghostbloods. Well, if the Ghostbloods are antagonists anyways. If they're more benevolent then maybe Silence's grandmother will become one? I think it's been mentioned how it's a ceremonial thing or an honor to become a cognitive shadow on Threnody, so I could see that being the beginnings of the Ghostbloods.

• Chaos locked this topic